jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  1:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Just posted my photos onto my homepage......
http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Peru.html
and for interplast, my surgical team
http://interplast.org/
Settling back into the christmas life here, it's interesting how few decorations were up in Peru, a VERY religious country. The locals told me they could never buy expensive decorations, but there were a few trees here and there. I did hear music beginning a few days before I left there. Lights are an absolute no with the cost of energy.

It is such a contrast between "real" poverty and wealth. I saw a wealth of soul and a poverty that means hunger and suffering. It is a sobering feeling to return home with that on my mind. It also suppresses the christmas excess!

just a few thoughts to share with you, although the experience of it is really difficult to convey when we are surrounded in all this beauty and wealth..... I wish I could share with you all of these feelings! jo

gosh Ive missed all of you. My punctuation isnt going to be nice here I cant find all the little doodads. Im just finishing my tour here. We operated on 70 children in Piura the last 14 days and Im exhausted, cant wait to share my photos when I return home! Im not often a cheerleader for a cause, but hoping you might visit interplast.org and possibly send in even 5 dollars to go towards repairing these children that Ive just cared for. I cannot tell you what a christmas gift to my heart it was giving back mobility to burn patients and pride to mothers with disfigured children that glowed when I told them how beautiful their babies were after cleft palate repair.

There have not been christmas lights or shopping or all of the things that I connect with the holidays, but I received a huge paycheck for my soul here...........

All the best to you! Cant wait to show you my photos, Im so tired I can hardly think! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/

Edited by - jo Thompson on Dec 16 2007 09:57:22 AM

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  1:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Jo you have done a FANTSTIC thing, that is amazing. Cant wait to see your pictures,Safe travels!!

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  2:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Good to hear from you,Jo. Was wondering how things were going. It sound like everything went fantastic and a good job was done by all. We are proud of you. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  5:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Jo, you sound like a modern day saint. My hats off to you for your profound work!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  6:01:34 PM  Show Profile
That is what life is all about, the payment for your soul was such a great way to put it. I am proud of you, what you have done is so important. Those children and parents will never forget the kindness of all of you. Blessings.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking of you today, Jo. Opened the box with the Alaskan pottery and wondered if you were still off doing a wonderful job in helping with the kids surgeries. One of the options for my yearly gift pledge of a percentage of my pay was Operation Smile, but didn't think that was associated with the organization you're with. I can still help with Interplast, will do it now before it's forgotten in the rush. Look forward to seeing the photos you're taking and hearing about the adventures. Will take a week or more for the Labs to know you're home and they don't have to follow your every step :)
Thanks for the update. Have a safe trip home.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  11:07:18 PM  Show Profile
J0,
Was w0ndering h0w it was g0ing, h0w w0nderful and sweet t0 be able t0 help and give in that way. Safe j0urney h0me.
Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile
You sure have given a blessing to these children, Jo. Have a safe trip back to Alaska.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Jo, I just looked at your Slide Show, I am in tears.WOW.Amazing.

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic hello from jo in Peru Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page