Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Egg Selling Question! Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  07:40:52 AM  Show Profile
How do you farmgirls grade your eggs for sale, or do you? My shells are all grade A, or I wouldn't consider selling them anyway. The requirements are so stringent with regard to air pockets, yolk and white consistency, etc. Do you candle all your eggs? In NY, I can sell them ungraded in bulk, but I can't tell if I'm allowed to simply print "ungraded" on the label if I'm selling them in packages.

Thanks.

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  08:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
In Utah, we must have the words "Ungraded" on our cartons.

We don't (but will if asked) candle our eggs. Since we collect two or three times a day and get the eggs into refrigeration immediately, about the only thing we've ever found is a small spot. We do inspect the shells to ensure there are no cracks, and we do very lightly clean the shells.

We were going to add a "use by" date, but have found that is not required. We do keep our eggs sorted by "collected" by date, keeping the oldest eggs for ourselves.

Hope this helps,

Shari Thomas
You're shopping for books? You may as well shop where Santa shops... Four Country Gals BookWise Bookstore! You get up to 42% off the Suggested Retail Price.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Since I'm not selling at a farm stand or farmers market I don't grade either. We collect a.m. and p.m. and most of our customers get delivery on the weekend so eggs are refridgarated for the week. My customers are just delighted to get the farm freshest and organic so they're not concerned with a lot of the govt redtape that prolongs the process. They like that they can stop by anytime and look at the hens that are giving them their eggs.
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:42:08 AM  Show Profile
How much to sell them for a dozen? Is a $1.00 a dozen too much? People at work are wanting to buy eggs from us, which would be great to help pay for feed and since I have soo many.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:13:49 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who prices her eggs at 2.50 a dozen. And she sells them like crazy! Don't forget to be fair to yourself as well as your customers. You are the one doing the work- caring and feeding the chickens, collecting the eggs, cleaning the coop, etc.
You can always come down in price, but you can't go up.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:16:17 AM  Show Profile
I think you're setting your price way too low! I used to sell eggs, but had to quit 4 years ago, and my price then was $1.50/doz and I was losing money, as laying mash was $17 per bag! (of course this is Canadian $$, when our dollar was quite low, too)

How much do basic large white eggs cost at the grocery store? Ours here are going for about $2.25 right now. I was selling free run brown eggs, and used to price them 25 cents lower than the cheapest large eggs at the grocery store.

No one ever asked about candling, grading, etc. They were just so happy to get fresh eggs!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Now that we've had to purchase cartons, and have created our own label, we charge $2.00 per dozen. When the customer returns our carton for a refill, we give them a .25 discount.

At this price, IF we sell all the eggs we produce, we pretty much cover the feed costs, and we figure the labor just part of our daily chores.

The real reason we have chickens is for Mom... and it's "Mom's Hen House".

She's not able to do much more than open their doors in the morning (if the weather is good), and talk to them. If she remembers, she saves them kitchen scraps and helps me get those to them. When the weather is good, she also collects part of the eggs.

Oh, and we let her keep the proceeds... It gives her a little "mad money".

Shari Thomas
You're shopping for books? You may as well shop where Santa shops... Four Country Gals BookWise Bookstore! You get up to 42% off the Suggested Retail Price.
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  08:47:02 AM  Show Profile
Wow, 2.50? I was afraid to ask that price....but at a $1.00 a dozen it won't really go that far when it comes to paying for the feed. Thank you for your input, not sure what to do now that I told one of the girls $1.00 and she wants 5 dozen.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Tell her it is your 'special' introductory price so she won't be shocked when they are higher next time around.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  11:00:57 AM  Show Profile
Mine are "non-certified" organic, and I charge 2.75/dozen. I offer a 25 cent credit for returned cartons, like Shari. We also have the "easter eggers" and some Marans, and I think that helps sell the eggs. People are really intrigued by the novelty colors.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Egg Selling Question! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page