Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How do you decorate your home?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do you decorate your home????? Next Topic
Page: of 3

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  06:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - yes! You know, I had forgotten that...

Grace - I still have some of that leather! I have a fringed buckskin jacket that I have been thinking of selling as vintage. It is so heavy! And, I seem to remember a halter top that was chamois with fringe....in those younger days.....

To get back on topic, by looking at my house, which is Williamsburg, one would never know that there were hippie days in my past! :)

jpbluesky
heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  06:23:30 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, jpbluesky, just hang some tie dye near your front door, and that'll explain everything to everyone!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  08:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
About a year or more ago I spotted a book in a book store called Hippie Crafts. Well of course I had to look at it but as I pulled it down from the shelf I promised myself I would not buy it. The book brought back so many memories. It wasn't just the crafts but also pictures from the 60's. I had to buy it and I've already made two projects from it and it and I'm sure I'll make more. I think there is a pattern in it for a halter top like jpbluesky mentioned above and of course lots of tie dye. So if you're looking to recreate your hippie days!!!

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  08:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark howabout a ramblin woman:
http://www.musicalwomen.com/Pages/sveamp3.html

Kathy I got the hips for crafts! LOL does the book have a macrame hammock?

Now you gone and added Willamsburg to what I don't know? Is that like a the colony log cabin?
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  08:29:02 AM  Show Profile
Clare- tie dyed curtains - that is the answer! The muslin will work!

byHzgrace - Williamsburg is a small town in Virginia that was an early colony of the USA. The houses and buildings have a distinct look - both brick and wood, they look traditional with shutters, dormers, windows with many panes, and paneled doors. I like the look because it can be very minimalist. Wood floors, walls with chair railings, simple candle type light fixtures, brick fireplaces with nice molding surrounds. Add a braided rug and rustic furniture and it looks nice. Or it can be fancy english china and mohagony furniture - it has many looks but is quite American (brought from England). Does that supply more of a visual?

When the hippie days were here, we loved quilts, oil lamps, baskets, pottery, organic gardens all things natural. Still love those things!!! :)

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

AuntieJen
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jenny
Tacoma WA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  10:38:43 AM  Show Profile
Funny how some of the things that you say people liked in the hippie days are really just quality, classic things that evoke interest and warm feelings no matter what era it is....my dad says I should've been a hippie, but I wasn't even conceived until 1970....I missed it.....but I do have paisley curtains in my kitchen and an oriental rug in there, so it has a certain hippie vibe. We have a 1924 craftsman that we are slowly renovating. I guess my style (now) would be farmhouse with some natural accents thrown in - a bird nest under glass with a few real bird egg halves in it, a log candle holder, bird houses, china, tarnished silver, natural bamboo shades, a wind-up weiner dog that barks (okay, that's just a quirky extra that I got at Goodwill. He makes me smile.) A few years ago I found an old butter box from my hometown of Enumclaw, WA and that sits proudly on the top of my kitchen window trim. And my bedroom is all Shabby Chic, pale blue and green. Very restful.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  10:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Auntie Jen, Sounds like your home is hippie chic refined! I love the sound of it! I was 14 in 1970 and a hippie wannabe...had the suede fringed vest that my mother hated, HUGE tye dyed bellbottoms and peace choker necklace and homemade bead necklaces and the Peter Max posters and plastic pillows. I was groovin'. I love it that this stuff is coming back and your generation is reinventing those times.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  1:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Grace, No macrame hammock but there are some other macrame projects. If I ever find a pattern for a hammock I will be sure to let you know. There is a knotted hammock in MaryJane's book. Have you seen that? I have the hips for crafts too Grace. Are you old enough to remember how skinny everyone tried to be in the 60's. I've always been shaped like a woman - well since about the time I turned twelve. I bloomed early.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile
In 1970 (I was 10), the paisley was on my bell bottoms and I was doing macrame for the 4-H fair! How's that for a blast from the past!
And I seem to remember an Allman Bros song "sweet Melissa, that's for you SQRL! Everyone's house is a mirror of who they are and I am a treasure hunting clutter bug married to a shaker loving plain decorating man. I should have been born a Victorian, him a little earlier! Somehow we make it work!And our son swears he likes MODERN!
Though he did make tye dyed shirts this week with his friends so...maybe there's hope!
with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 28 2005 2:14:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

AuntieJen
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jenny
Tacoma WA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  08:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Hippie chic refined, I like that:)
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  12:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bramble, that song has been sung to me a few times throughout life. I love the Allman Bros. they're great.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do you decorate your home????? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page