Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Speaking of Vintage Sewing Patterns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Speaking of Vintage Sewing Patterns Next Topic  

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile
I collect and occassionally sell vintage sewing patterns. Lately, I have developed a fascination for the mail order patterns ladies, especially those who where living in somewhat isolated areas, ordered through ads in newspapers or farming periodicals.

I especially like to find them in their mailing envelope so that I can see where the recipient lived, what periodical they ordered from, and what year they bought the pattern.

Does anyone here know more about them or have any memories they would like to share?

Lucinda

Edited by - thehouseminder on Jul 19 2005 12:28:38 PM

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  12:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda _ I have some old quilt patterns that came in the mail with the original owners name on them but no actual dress patterns. I love all the old textiles and clothing and am always on the lookout for vintage stuff. I made my wedding dress from Folklore's Past Patterns "Edwardian Bridal Gown". It was so much fun and I saved a fortune! I love to sew and collect vintage sewing stuff. We can compare treasures when we find them!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  3:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda,
I have several of these patterns that belonged to my mother in law. They were all used, many of them several times. Mostly for stuffed animals and dolls made from sewing scraps. I even have the original PONY that she made for my husband back in 1947. My grandson has had the opportunity to play with it as did all of our children. Most of her patterns came from the Spokesman Review out of Spokane Washington. She lived in a remote farming community out on the polouse called Rosalia. There are also a few quilt patterns, one she started I am in the process of finishing now and another one her mother in law started is still in the little box she had stored it in. I am one of those people who simply cannot throw away things like this. I also have some vintage patterns for cupie doll quilt blocks and sunbonnet boy and sunbonnet girl patterns. I have made several dolls and animals over the years from these old patterns.
Bramble, I love that wedding dress!!! Always wanted to make one for someone. I was in the business of sewing bridal and formal wear for 15 years but nobody ever wanted that one. I still have the pattern. I did make one of the edwardian corsetts for a woman to wear under her wedding dress, ( off the rack dress)Nothing like an old fashioned corsette to emphasise the upper body delights. I wondered after if she kept from passing out during the wedding from lack of air.
I have made the fishermans shirt from the edwardian collection also.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  12:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Lucinda, I have some that I found "dumpster diving" while I was recycling my paper goods at the city dump. Looked like someone threw away tons of their mom's or grandmas stuff..found unused vintage greeting cards, patterns, all sorts of treasures....anyway, would you like them? I will never get around to using them, just couldn't bear to have them thrown away. Email me your address and I will be glad to send them to a loving home. Diane
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, I sent you an e-mail but forgot to include my address. Will send another. I would like to compensate you in SOME way....

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, I would love to see a pic of that wedding dress! I love the Edwardian Era. I have gotten a few of the "Folkwear" brand patterns but I haven't seen any of the "Past Pattern" brand. Are they still available? I am guilty of renting costume dramas from the video store and just watching the costumes and not really paying attention to the movie. "The Wings of a Dove" and "House of Mirth" have some amazing Edwardian costumes.

Eileen, how wonderful that you also got some use out of your mother-in-laws pattens! I love to think of those ladies living in isolated areas pouring over the offerings available and then waiting anxiously for their mail. Here in Nebraska, there are only 4 or 5 major population centers, everyone else is on a farm or in a small farming community. These patterns were widely used here. My mother told me recently they not only ordered patterns through the mail but also yard goods and even yards and yards of diaper material because they made there own. Until then, I didn't know that I had worn homemade diapers!

I am excited that you are finishing the quilt she started. What a great way to add to your connection to her

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  11:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
LUCINDA..houseminder girl..I did not get your email..don't know if that system works. Just email me direct .. with your address.No need to compensate me...you could stick a photo of you or your home & family or something in there would be fun, or a 6" scrap of fabric for my charm quilt if you want.I really am just glad these patterns will be in a happy home!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Aug 27 2005 11:56:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  11:21:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane,

I e-mailed you directly. If you want to answer with your address I will send some charm squares (6" okay?) and a few snaps of me and the kitties.

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  1:43:30 PM  Show Profile
I just remembered I also have the edwardian underthings pattern with the pretty white batiste camisole and pantaloons pattern in it that I made one summer for jammies.
The quilt I am finishing I think is called Sun Bonnet Sue. It is of an edwardian looking ladie with a sunbonnet and a boquet in her hands facing sideways. Sha ehad a lot of the blocks cut out and the appliques cut out and only a few of the blocks complete with the embroidery. She died of a heart attack in 1976 at the age of 51 when she left this one unfinished. I got it about 15 years ago after dad went to live in an assisted living facility. I have slowly appliqued all she had cut out and found fabrics close to looking like they were from the right era and have cut and appliqued more blocks. I think I need to do about 5 more to have enough to make a cover for our king sized bed. I think she was doing it to fit a standard double bed. Someday it will be finished.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  9:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Bramble,I used the Folkwear patterns for my wedding dress. We used the Edwardian blouse and the walking skirt for mine. I also had the camisole and pantaloons as well. I wore the latter as jammies for a long time. I also have made the garden party dress, the poet shirt for my husband, the Beautiful dreamer for my girls and the day wrapper. In fact I have been considering making the wrapper again as it is so comfortable to wear. I love their patterns.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  10:00:02 PM  Show Profile
It's nice to hear there are other sewing fiends like me out there!
The Folkwear pattern Company once had a travelling "Trunk Show" that a friend and I modeled in when we were young and crazy...and thin! We wore some of the things we had sewn but got to wear some of the amazing creations from the company.The Turkish coat was beautiful and I remember the last thing I wore was a Japanese top and skirt and the makeup woman made me up so severely that my Mom didn't realize it was me until I walked right next to her! I love the Armistace blouse and skirt and have made them several times.The wedding dress was fun but I inset lace evrywhere they suggested and it came to over 60 yards of flat lace (not including the appliques!)I will dig up a picture for you one of these days! I have also made the camisole and pantaloons in many different fabrics, but must admit the muslin is still my favorite with lace. I think Past Patterns is now called Campbells but they have alot of the same patterns and some new. I LOVE vintage sewing!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Speaking of Vintage Sewing Patterns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page