Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Prayers for a good job...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Prayers for a good job... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  10:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, for the first time in my life, I am actually applying for some pretty decent paying jobs. With my degree and experience in hand, I am off looking at 4 possible jobs that will be the highest paying jobs I have ever had. It's not all about the money, but these jobs would allow us to get out of debt, get DH out of the military (BIG ONE HERE) and let us get on with our lives the way we want to live. Just please send a little good ju-ju my way. I don't need a lot. Save the big stuff for someone who really needs it. Just happy thoughts.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Heather

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  10:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Heather,

Sending a moderate amount of good ju-ju your way.
I know how un-nerving it can be looking for a new job. I started one this past January. If I may add a little advice - remember that qualified, responsible people are hard to come by these days. Don't sell yourself short just to land something. I asked for exactly what I wanted in order to change jobs when I interviewed, mainly because I didn't really NEED their job. Well - they gave it to me, the vacation time, the time off to take DD to her shows and the salary. Decide what you want and ask for it.

Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  10:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jennifer. I refuse to sell myself short this time. I am moving into more management type positions and I have worked hard to get here (though I am a little scared but I will be alright). I know I am more than qualified and if they put up the price they are willing to pay, well, by golly, I am gonna ask for that.

The extra $$$ is already ear marked for several things:
1. Getting out of debt
2. Retirement fund
3. House fund
4. College fund for DS
5. Have a little fund, I mean fun... : )

Thanks.
Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  06:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Hang in there Heather :) I totally understand finding a really good job w/ good pay to take care of all that you need to take care of...day-to-day expenses and then some (like all that you have listed in your last post). DH lost his decent paying job very recently due to some people that wanted to rule the roost and not to pay their vendors properly and cut many corners - he was in AP...he was the only one that had the good head on his shoulders and tried to do what was right. I work, but I don't make a whole lot, I can save very little, but the majority is for day-to-day expenses. What is frustrating we both have college degrees and can't seem to "go anywhere" w/ them where we live tho is kinda an issue (we do live in a busy city in the midwest) but it is darned if you do darned if ya don't....esp when our families live close to the area. Anyhow, take care and I know something great will come your way...happy thoughts to you :)

Farmgirl Sister #21

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  07:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Amy- I am sending some good ju-ju back to you!! It is frustrating. We are "military" poor right now, even though DH just made advancement to the next paygrade, it is only an extra $300 a month. I am grateful but still, I am tired of living pay check to paycheck and we have NOTHING in the way of retirement. We are both in our 30's with college degrees and this opportunity is presenting itself, so I am hanging on for dear life. Even if I only worked 6 months, that would be ALOT of extra income for us. My biggest goal is getting us out of debt. That will be a relief for us. Then we can start building. They can't take away what we rightfully own!!
There are a lot of lower paying jobs around here but I want something more and we need something more. I know I am capable, just a little nervous. LOL

Wishing you and your family the best!!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  07:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather :) How sad about being the "military" poor...esp what they all do for us. I can kinda relate on that end because my dad was a Marine, then farmhand. It seems that everywhere, but esp around where we live, there are TONS of service type jobs, either retail/resturaunt or office work in a bank office/financial/law firm. (like what I do as a receptionist)...you may be lucky enough to get on at one of the universitys or the larger hospital systems in town, but it seems some of the great paying jobs in those places are hard to get. We are to the point about considering moving elsewhere. We right now, have no health coverage (can't even afford COBRA and I work w/ independent financial consultants, not even offered to me as well as retirement). I know as for me,I know that I have lots of good work skills, it is just trusting them as they supressed for so long. Same w/ DH. Hard to believe that I have been where I am at for the past 7 years. The largest debt that DH and I have are our mounting student loans....we live in an apartment and don't have to worry about a car payment...thanks goodness. I am so glad that I am not alone and that other people are plodding through w/ the exact same situation - sorry that I am so long winded...LOL.

Hugs too you :)

Farmgirl Sister #21

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  09:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Heather,

Sounds like you're right on track. Good for you for making a list of how to alocate your new funds. I had to kinda chuckle - in a good way though - I did the same thing. Some of my friends kept telling me I should shop and buy and spend on me. Well - I am - the house, my retirement, the yard. Not what they had in mind I think. But, if you don't have a plan for where the money is going it just goes into thin air and you can't figure out what happened and your no better off.

Don't let the nerves hold you back, doing anything new is always a little scary. I had friends giving me pep talks for weeks when I landed my new job. I kept thinking what the hell did I just do? I left a very comfortable job with people I really became friends with to take a senior mgt position with a lot more responsibility. Take it slow and methodical and you'll been fine.

Let us know what happens and how you're doing.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  2:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone.

I don't want to be super rich but right now, living in CA is killing us financially! DH gets paid on the 1st and 15th, that 1st paycheck goes straight to rent, leaving us $250 for 2 weeks!! I don't want a million, just enough to cover costs and put SOMETHING in the bank. We live really frugal with some enjoyment (eating out once in awhile, new clothes, cd or something) but not high on the horse.

This management job would also open so many new doors, even if I stayed at this job for only a year, It is a foot in the management door. I was a supervisor when I was in the military but I am not used to the civilian side of things yet. : )

Thanks.
Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Prayers for a good job... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page