Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  5:09:27 PM  Show Profile
This forum has been so great for me . . . I have turned green in so many areas that I wasn't before and am realizing the importance of caring for our environment. Anyway, in that pursuit of "true green," I began washing my hair with baking soda and an apple cider vinegar rinse and I have also been washing my face daily with honey. I have done both practices for several monthes and am loving the results. As many of you recall, I wrote in complaining about hair loss. This problem seems to be majorly improved and my hair seems cleaner and healthier than ever. I have no scalp build up and it feels so nice and fresh. My skin is actually improving with the honey . . . it is softer and smoother and my pores seem smaller, which means there is no black heads, or anything in the pores to keep them enlarged. I love the feel of it and if I get this "soap" in my mouth it is actually enjoyable! LOL! I cleaned out an empty pump bottle from an expensive oil of olay liquid soap and it works perfectly for the honey.

Anyway, just thought I would report in about how great these natural products work. Our ancestors used these common household items prior to the huge market for shampoo and beauty products and it worked for many generations. Why use something that has harmful chemicals or maybe meant lab animals suffered for my vanity, when I can use some thing that is safe, cheap and natural.

Just thought I would share and encourage each of you to try this!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  12:33:23 PM  Show Profile
so happy for you, and it's always nice to hear good updates

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  12:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Brenda, I'm so glad to hear that honey is still working for you (and me, too :)). I'll have to try the baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash--I bet your hair totally shines!!!!

Thanks for letting us know about your progress with these things. You're right--our ancestors made it without all this commercially produced garbage, so why can't we?

J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  12:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I too am loving the honey. I am through a bottle already and need to get more. When I recently stayed at the hospital when my son was sick I hadn't packed anything, lucky for me the cafeteria had honey so I could wash my face!!!!

blessings
beth
~*~*~farmgirl sister #27~*~*~

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Snowmen fall from heaven... unassembled.
~Author Unknown~

For the best in Holiday Gift Giving check out- http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/holiday_gift_ideas.asp
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  8:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Okay, ladies, you've got my attention with all these glowing reports about honey , so let me ask a couple questions: Why is it so good for skin, and does it work with all skin types?
I don't usually wash my face with anything but water, but I'm gonna give honey a try tomorrow morning! Thanks!

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  2:02:58 PM  Show Profile
Jen, honey is moisturising. It also is naturally anti bacterial, so it helps in dry air or on dry skin to deliver (and keep in) the moisture, as well as healing breakouts or acne. It also happens to rinse out very easily, leaving no sticky residue, and if it is grainy like mine is, it's an exfoliant. A triple whammy!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  7:02:47 PM  Show Profile
I just know my pores have shrunk, I have no more "dry patches" but I also am not having pimples, etc. show up like they used to. My skin is primarily dry, but with an occasional oil in the "T zone". I love the fact that there are no weird chemicals and no words that are 20 plus letters long that I can't pronounce.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  07:13:05 AM  Show Profile
Honey sounds perfect for me - I never knew about using it this way. My skin gets pretty dry in the winter, but not immune to occasional breakouts, so I bet it'll love honey.
Thanks!!!

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  08:03:39 AM  Show Profile
I've been using the baking soda, acv, and honey routine on my hair all year with great results, but I have to admit that I'm skeptical about trading in my facial soap for nothing but honey. Only one way to find out, though. I'll give it a try!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  12:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Amie, I was skeptical too . . . but tried it and loved it! It really is wonderful!

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  9:09:02 PM  Show Profile
I have started to go as natural as possible. I replace natural products for their conventional counterpart as I run out.

Has anyone tried making their own dusting powder with EO's.
I usually use baby powder (of the cornstarch variety) to prevent chafing. I have some patchouli EO I would love to try with regular cornstarch, but I am not sure of the ratio.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  9:47:15 PM  Show Profile
I just bought some honey and am going to give my face a wash before bed...My skin is so dry and the green-ness of this appeals to me very much

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Well, I tried using honey to wash my face yesterday and I don't think I can stick with it. My face felt oily and itchy all day. I gave up and went back to my normal facial soap today. Are you guys really using honey in place of any other soap? Or am I misreading this thread? When I tried a google search, I found lots of recipes for facial treatments that included honey, but they all seemed to be in addition to your regular soap. Can somebody clarify?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:03:56 AM  Show Profile
Amie--
I'm the one who started the "honey instead of soap" thing, based on my friend, Karen's advise. She is a certified herbalist in California and has used only honey to wash her face for 15 years or so....everyone is different, so it might not work the same way for you as it does for say, Beth. I have the traditional T zone combination skin, but it gets SO dry in the winter that I use honey at night, and my regular Aveeno soy complex facial soap in the am to ward off any pesky pimples in that T zone area. The honey (for me) has been a blessing because it really takes the "tightness" away from my skin and restores the moisture--in maybe Beth's case, it's restoring the actual structure of her skin (Beth, you've had acne problems, right?), and chemicals sometimes make those problems worse, but with the healing and natural antiseptic uses of honey, it sounds like it's working for her...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jonni. I think I'll try using the honey occasionally as an extra thing. Since I'm using the honey and acv on my hair 3 times a week, I guess I'm probably getting some on my face every time as well.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  2:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amie,
It sounds like you might have oiler skin than I or Jonni. Mine tends to get "tight" too as Jonni mentioned with regular soap. For me, I have yet to have it feel oily and it really cleared out my pores. I guess that maybe for some people, other products may work better. Perhaps do a search for "green skin care" for oily skin? Best of luck!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

simplebasics
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Pomeroy WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  6:32:34 PM  Show Profile
I make Organic Skin Care and you can find my etsy store full of honey products
for your skin!! It is a natural anti-biotic and when diluted, it forms hydrogen peroxide.
(no need for those little brown bottles anymore!)
So effective a skin care, I have adopted a bee for my logo!
www.simplebasics.etsy.com

a message from SIMPLE BASICS
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I make dusting powder all the time. The only difficult part is getting the EO to mix thoroughly and well with the cornstarch, as it's so fluffy! For a small amount, here's what I'd do. Put about a tsp or two of baking soda in a ziplock bag; add some patchouli EO (I'm guessing on the amount here....maybe 10 drops?). Close the bag, squeezing all the air out, the knead the bag with your hadns to mix in the eo with the baking soda. Then add your cornstarch, about a 1/4 cup at a time or so, again kneading the whole mixture together to help incorporate the baking soda/patchouli method. You can also just do this in a big mixing bowl if you like - that's how I do my big batches at the shop, it just involves a lot o fstirring and when I teach classes where people make small amounts for themselves, we just use the ziplock bag method for time efficiency.

It's kinda mess anyway you do it. but you'll smell good. :)

quote:
Originally posted by kissmekate

I have started to go as natural as possible. I replace natural products for their conventional counterpart as I run out.

Has anyone tried making their own dusting powder with EO's.
I usually use baby powder (of the cornstarch variety) to prevent chafing. I have some patchouli EO I would love to try with regular cornstarch, but I am not sure of the ratio.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  9:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Maggie!!! Another dumb question, what is the purpose of the baking soda? And I am just curious.
I will try it as I am almost out of baby powder.

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
um ok i'm confused how do u clean with honey, isn't it sticky and I hate feeling sticky. I have oily tzone.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  06:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Here's a potentially silly question: doesn't the cornstarch/baking powder type mix get all over your clothes (like antiperspirant, only worse)?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  06:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bridget--honey isn't sticky when it's diluted with water. And, it washes clean--sounds like we may have the same skin type, and I use honey at night, and my aveeno cleanser in the am.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kate! no, it's not a dumb question. ;) I use the baking soda both as a natural deodorant/deodorizer, plus, the it is helpful for mixing the essential oils into. Some people use clays instead or in addition to the baking soda - same type of idea. :)

I use a powder puff and spread the body powder thinly...if you're wearing alot of black or dark colors, yep, you gotta be careful or it will show, but in my normal t-shirt/jeans outfit it is juuuust fine! I think the trick is a nice thin even layer and then it's not too bad. just a nice silky dry feeling to the skin -it's especially great in the summer. We sell a TON of body powder as soon as it gets really sticky in the summer. Body powders are especially helpful to use anywhere your clothes chafe, or even your skin - i know some large-breasted women who swear by it underneath their breasts to help prevent rashes and even infections that can develop...
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  1:20:08 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Ladies. You sure have convince to to go green. I am trying the honey. I would like to know more about baking soda and vinegar. I know you use vineager has rinse. You mix with water?
Please help me.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.

Edited by - debinmtns on Dec 11 2007 1:25:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  5:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Maggie,
I put powder underneath the girls. Otherwise it gets too odiferous and unpleasant if you catch my drift.
I will try mixing my powder soon and let you know how it turns out.

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  10:49:36 PM  Show Profile
I have a dumb question...do EO's go bad? I opened a new bottle of EO tonight to try this powder thing and it smells awful. Not like it did in the sample/tester bottle at the store.
Can they go rancid?

Back to the drawing board. At least cornstarch is cheap.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic "Natural" beauty . . . Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page