debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  11:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I have thrown some away that smelled rancid to me.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  7:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Oil can go bad, so it would make sense that essential oils could. For the person who asked about vinegar, I put about 2 or 3 tablespoons with 16 oz. hot water for my rinse. I have long hair, so some may need less. I rinse until vinegar smell is gone.

Hugs & blessings

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  1:14:47 PM  Show Profile
I use honey sometimes as a cleanser, but use another cleanser first just on my oily forehead (then rinse, use honey and rinse again). A friend of mine whose hair is very dry decided to try honey as a rinse after shampooing--then rinse out the honey. She says it works! Her guys kid her, and she just proclaims "Honey is a humectant". That stops them in their tracks.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  09:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Kate, about the EO. they can go bad, some will sooner than others. that said they normaly have a long shelf life if stored right. out of light, in dark bottle, out of extreme cold or heat. also some evaporate sooner. they should not be in a bottle half empty. did you just buy your EO? if so i would take back and talk to owner about the smell. they should help fix the problem. I had an oil that started to smell like cat pee, had to get rid of it! yuck

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  9:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Cat pee? Ewwww!
I will go back to the store with it. Perhaps, I grabbed an old bottle. It looked like they had restocked recently.

I am willing to give it another whirl....

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  11:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Eo's are quite different than veggie oils - veggie oils can and do go rancid, of course, but an essential oil should not "go bad" in the same way (They are non-water-soluble, but not fatty). However. some essential oils are mixed with a carrier oil (vegetable oil). Does the bottle say it is 100% essential oil? Also, unfortunately they can be adulterated (cut) with veggie oils, even if they aer labelled as 100% essential oils. Put a drop or two on a piece of white paper, and wait a while. If it is 100% essential oil, the mark will eventually go away, leaving only the odor of the oil. If it's adulterated or mixed with a carrier oil, the oil-spot will stay!
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  10:22:58 AM  Show Profile
So I did a Google search on honey hair rinse (how to make) and found this site:

http://www.arizonaspagirls.com/0/Lifestyle/BeautyLab

Very cool...very natural.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  1:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Interesting, Vanessa! Thank you.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  4:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey everyone! I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar on my hair, too. I've been doing it for about three months and it's great! I use a Tbsp of baking soda mixed with just enough water to make a paste. I massage it into my scalp and rinse. Then I mix 2 Tbsp vinegar with about 2 cups water and pour it over my hair, massage it into my scalp, and rinse. I also add 2-3 drops tea tree oil to either the baking soda or vinegar. I still have some problems with dandruff. Does anyone know of anything that might help get rid of it?

I've never tried honey as a face wash. I have pretty dry skin so I'll have to give it a try!

Another thing I love in the winter is an oatmeal bath and it's so easy to make. All you have to do is grind about a cup of oats, whole or quick cook, in a blender or food processor until it's a fine powder. I found the food processor worked better for this. Then add to a warm bath. Great for itchy winter skin. I've been adding some olive oil and peppermint eo, too. I love smelling like a candy cane!

Have a happy new year!

Laura

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.craftycatgirl.etsy.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  08:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
It's been almost a month of using honey on my face and I love the results. My rosy cheeks are not so rosy and my skin is soft and fine lines are nearly gone. I love that when it gets into you mouth that it does not have a bad taste it actually makes me smile. I haven't tried the ACV or baking soda because of the fact I'm not sure what it will do to my hair coloring. I have to admit that I'm not ready to get rid of that chemical until I can find a more natural way to color my hair. I am very grey and HATE IT! SO if anyone has a way I can put Miss Clairol to rest and still be a brunette of some kind PLEASE....... let me know. My hair (& face) is my vanity point. You know what they say 50 is the new 40 and I want to look 40 as those years went way to fast. Thanks.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  08:11:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm really so glad to hear that you're still having great luck with the honey. Me too....though I still just use it at night. I may take the leap in the spring though full time.

yay! I'm also going to try the oatmeal bath referenced above. I need to get to the store and get a stock of vinegar, both types and baking soda to start doing more of these remedies.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  8:07:31 PM  Show Profile
I have been breaking out lately (somewhere in my mid-forties my skin and everything else went wacko). The doctor has tried all sorts of meds that I hate. I am so trying this tonight! I used to use only baking soda on my skin and hair but at some point I stopped- I think when we were finally able to buy soap I thought ir must somehow be better.

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  10:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Mid-forties will do that to a body. I too bounce back between natural and much more cost effective to commercial stuff that I think will be better only to be proven WRONG again.

Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  10:02:06 PM  Show Profile
I'mon day 2 of the honey experiment. My skin loved it yesterday but it is on the fritz today. Gonna try it for a couple more days- I actually have an appt with the dermatologist next week. Wouldn't it be grand if I could cancel it because of honey!?! Does the honey work for you Betty Jo?

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  12:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
The honey works great on my face. I do not have many break outs anymore and if I do I use tea tree oil directly on the spot. I have not used it on my hair or the ACV because I use dye and am afraid that it might strip my color. I pay way to much to cover my grey so I stuck with commercial shampoos. Bummer!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic "Natural" beauty . . . Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page