Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Apron excitement...and disappointment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Apron excitement...and disappointment Next Topic  

herbangirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  10:38:50 AM  Show Profile
I finally set out to make aprons this weekend for Christmas gifts. My first try was the No-Frills Frilly, which turned out beautifully! It is ADORABLE. But this morning when I went to cut out an Everyday, I found that the pattern won't fit the way the instructions say. The apron body doesn't fit on a piece of 45" fabric, even when it's folded in half let alone 3/4 of the way toward the selvage. The back part of the apron hangs off the edge of the fabric by about 5 inches. Help! Why did this happen? I didn't copy the pattern too big - checked that already. And my fabric didn't shrink - checked that too.

If you've made the Everyday, did you have the same problem? How did you fix it? Thanks in advance!

Visit my blog!
http://mouthfulofsoil.blogspot.com

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  11:04:37 AM  Show Profile
Ouch, double ouch. The books we sell/send out from here have a "correction" insert for that pattern but we can't get those into books sold elsewhere. One of our seamstresse made that mistake. Even though I caught it early on and nearly died, Random House wasn't able to fix it in the book until its third reprint. Believe me, I've lost sleep over it. I am so sorry. We can send you the correction via computer tomorrow morning (the minute Carol gets in) or we can send it to you in the mail. That is just so frustrating.

I have every pattern sewn by two different women now who weren't at all involved in the design of it, just to make sure it never happens again. Live and learn.

In the meantime, the part that is the problem are the little tabs on the back where the buttons go. You can cut those out separately from your left over fabric and create a seam where your fabric ends. You're right, the fabric isn't wide enough. OR if you purchased a bit extra yardage, you can can slide the pieces along until they both fit. I am so sorry. I want ALL my recipes and patterns, etc. to be PERFECT!

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page

herbangirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  11:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi MaryJane,

Thanks for the prompt response! I'm so glad that it's a problem with the pattern and not that my sewing skills suddenly flew out the window! :-) I would really appreciate it if you could send the pattern via email tomorrow morning. The bummer is that I already spent money to have the original pattern enlarged, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

And you must already know, but thank you for all your inspiration. Your first book awakened some fierce, ancient feminine wisdom inside me. "Stitching Room" is at the top of my Christmas wishlist!

Maggie

Visit my blog!

Edited by - herbangirl on Dec 02 2007 3:07:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh, your enlarged pattern will still work. You'll see. We'll be prompt and get it to you first thing in the morning!

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile
And for being such a good sport, I'll send you a Stitching Room book to put under your tree. E-mail me your address if you will.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  11:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Can you please tell me which book that is in? I have just discovered MaryJane's book and haven't begun making the projects yet. I just want to make certain I mark it before I forget all about this.

Thanks so much!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

herbangirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  3:03:34 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, that is really sweet! Thank you.

Lea, it's the Everyday Apron on page 220 of MJ's Ideabook*Cookbook*Lifebook.

Visit my blog!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  4:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much ~ I'll mark my book.

Blessings, Lea
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  6:02:06 PM  Show Profile
0k, my b00k didn't c0me fr0m the farm, d0es that mean I need the c0rrecti0n? A w0nderful farmgirl gave it t0 me, and can y0u believe this, at a thrift st0re. There l0se and definitly my gain thanks t0 my farmgirl friend.
Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  6:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just check your book to see what re-print it is. If it is first or second printing you will need to mark it, if it is third printing or on then you are fine as the correction was made.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

herbangirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  11:33:29 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, can you post the correction on your website so anyone can access it?

Visit my blog!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  10:12:58 AM  Show Profile
The correction to our apron pattern will be posted shortly in a permanent location. Lots of weather related set-backs this a.m.
MJ
Go to Top of Page

herbangirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  4:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm excited again. First of all, I got "Stitching Room" last night in the mail! Thanks again!

This week I'm making Christmas gifts - a Clothespin Apron (so cute!) and a Harvest Apron. Harvest is also just adorable! But I'm confused about one thing...the gathering was supposed to be 19" - that's just from one side of the pocket to the other, correct? The finished apron came out great, but it's quite wide, the fabric goes around my whole body. I think I'm going to have to alter it in order to give it to the petite friend I made it for. Did I misunderstand, and was I supposed to gather the entire apron width to 19"? Thanks in advance for any tips on how to get this apron right, because I just love the style!

Visit my blog!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  6:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Herbangirl!

I pulled out my Ideabook to try and help with the harvest apron. Instuction #3 says to run the gathering stitches through both layers (the pocket and apron) to a width of 19 inches. Also I was wondering if you are only using 1/2 a yard?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  8:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Herbangirl~
I just made the same apron tonight. I loved it too. I made it with Christmas fabric. I'll try to post a photo if I can remember how.

I understood to gather the entire apron to 19" and it did turn out nice and petite. Would love to see your apron if you get a chance to post it.

Blessings, Lea
Go to Top of Page

herbangirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

10 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  10:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Okay, that makes sense. Bummer to have to do the waistband all over again! Thanks for the help!!! Your apron looks so cute! I'll post pics once I'm done (and once the camera has batteries again).

Visit my blog!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I got your book through a book club and can't figure out which printing it is, so I'm guessing it's the first printing? I'm glad I found this before trying to make the apron! Can't wait to see the new pattern so I can make it!

I'm on break from teaching, and I'm pulling out my sewing machine later today! I'm still trying to decide which apron to make for my friend, so I'm thumbing through the books! (I have both the Ideabook and the Stitching Room!)

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Apron excitement...and disappointment Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page