Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Need your prayers--have to talk with my boss...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Need your prayers--have to talk with my boss... Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  08:34:47 AM  Show Profile
About our medical plan, and some "happenings" in our family unit. Every year, our firm gives us a bonus of $1,000.00 at Christmas time, and our medical plan was an HMO, with co-pay. In May, they switched to a high deductible medical plan ($3,000.00 per family), and elected to deposit our $1,000 bonus over a period of 12 months into a Health savings account, which we could utilize for prescriptions, etc....Everything else would be out of pocket until we reached our deductible. So, I've gone from paying $50.00 to $300 a month for prescriptions, and there really hasn't been a time that I've been able to utilize the $100.00 they deposit monthly for anything but prescriptions. Often, I have to choose between paying my housepayment (ontime) or getting my medicine. My husband's job isn't really paying money right now, with the slump in economy, folks aren't eating out as much, and it's been overly tight (believe me, we've discussed him getting another job, and it's falling on deaf ears, so that's been OVERdone).. I just don't see how I could get another job in the evening, but I guess I can try some holiday part time work, but what will that do for us in the new year? I carry his insurance, and a situation has arisen, and he needs some counselling....it's really imperative that he get to see a doctor, and I can't afford it. I'm just ready to fold in on myself. It's so difficult to even budget our money these months, and now, I can't even take care of my family, which is my duty, isn't it? What depresses me most, though, is that since May, I have paid $1892.00 out of my own pocket, towards my deductible, which I was just informed by the provider, goes back to $0 when January 1 rolls around--so we really would NEVER benefit from this medical plan, unless something catastrophic (heaven forbid) would happen. It's like we don't even really have any coverage.
I need to tell him that I can't afford to work here anymore, and it breaks my heart. I love this place, and I love the work we do. We just really can't live anymore...I'm feeling pretty blue (obviously), so any good vibes you can send my way would be appreciated.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  09:09:09 AM  Show Profile
OMG, Jonni, this is such a heartbreak! You are in my prayers. FarmGirl Hugs! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- I am sad to say that this is a very common problem in our healthcare system- it HAS to change! When my little girl was born with a heart problem we were so poor that we were on state medical insurance and she ended up having open heart surgery- now my hubby was in school full time and we both worked (and have college degrees!) but if we had made $100 more that the $1000 a month we lived on (can you believe it!) we would have had to declare bankruptcy to pay for her medical bills! How is it that people can work so hard to make a middle class income and be left choosing between shelter and food and meds. I am sending you lots of love and good energy- this will pass and the worry can make you so sick on it's own so try to keep it at bay by taking long walks, having a cup of tea with a friend etc. You say it is your duty to take care of your family and I understand but this economy no longer allows the lower or middle class to do that as it did in our parents time. It is not YOU that is failing it is the government refusing to protect our health in so many ways! The stress can really take it's toll on a marriage- just take good care of each other in spite of one another's faults and call the pharmaceutical companies you get RX's from to see if they have any assistance or reduced rates (they often do I am told). They overcharge SOOO blatantly that there is no shame in taking whatever discounts you can. Keep your chin up!((((Hugs)))

Be Well- Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  11:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm so sorry you're going through this. This is my pet peeve. I work in a college. When my son was small, the combined income of me and my dh was so low that my son was on the assisted lunch program in public school. And yet the head guy in the Kentucky Community College system now makes over 296,000 plus 'perks'(they are many and include a house, a car, etc.....). I wish your employer could come to his senses. Does he understand what an adverse effect his policies are having on employees?

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Will pray that GOd will make a way for you if you are to remain there or will show you what new and better thing he has for you next!

Hugs,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  1:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. Everything you've said here is true. I don't mind being poor, because I am, but when there's no hope, boy that just knocks me for a loop.
This just feels terrible...I told him that I love working here, but this medical plan doesn't help me at all, and I have to think of my family first. I think I'm probably the only one who really struggles with it, because I'm a)34, b)have 2 monthly mandatory prescriptions. The other two ladies who work here, one is on her husband's amazing medical plan (he drives a company car still--who does that still???), and the other gal is 69, so she is on medicaire. Everyone else is an attorney, so their income is WAY higher than mine

It sounds like he's going to talk it over with the other partner, because he doesn't want to lose me, which is nice to hear. They switch up our plans just about every year, but I don't think I can hold out until May, 2008.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  1:35:20 PM  Show Profile
*I don't mind being poor, because I am, but when there's no hope, boy that just knocks me for a loop.*

Jonni, you said a true thing there. I hope your boss can find a way to make it work for you. I know that small businesses are pinched pretty tightly by the health care industry these days, but it does sound like a ridiculous medical plan. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

It would be great if your boss can find a way to help you. Maybe they will pay your deductible since they changed it and hurt you so much. *hugs*

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  8:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Jonni
As you know, I am new here, but I want you to know that you have so much to offer, and there has to be something out there for you. I have a friend that is going through a similar thing with insurance(her so called hubby left her after 20 yrs for another), & she is trying to get some elbow surgery scheduled before Jan 1 for the same reason you mentioned. She lives in Adams Cty where the job market is the PITS, but in the Greater Cinci area, with your talents, know how & GREAT personality, I'm know you will find a great fit..
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  12:58:21 AM  Show Profile
J0nnie,
praying f0r ya girl, feeling h0peless is the w0rse part 0f it all.
Praying f0r d00rs t0 0pen and h0pe t0 return.
Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  06:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

You are in my prayers. I know it must be stressful for you all just now. I hope that your boss will help you out since it seems you really like working there and I feel it's important to like what you do workwise. Please take care of yourself and I'm hoping the best for you.

Hugs,
Lainey

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  10:32:11 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I'm also praying for you. It seems like everything hits at once at times, doesn't it? It seems your boss would do something to help you now that he knows your situation, and I pray he will. Also praying for your husband... and have been for a while. Hugs to you and love,

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  11:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

Just a thought - ask your boss if it would be possible for you to be on a different policy, one that would work better for you and your family. It may be possible to change. I had the opposite problem with my new job. The insurance was an HMO and none of my doctors, some of whom I've been with for 15+ years accepted it. I would have had to go to new doctors that I didn't have a relationship with. The final straw was looking through the list all the Gyn's were Mexican welfare clinics in a town 15 miles away. Sorry, but I'm not going there. I was able to change to the PPO and pay the difference which wasn't very much.

I think it's at least worth the question/suggestion to your boss. It's amazing what they can do if they want to keep you.

This is a very stressful thing to deal with. And, unfortunately most company's just want to do what's cheapest for them.

Good luck. I hope everything works out well.
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Need your prayers--have to talk with my boss... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page