Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need help displaying vintage dresses.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need help displaying vintage dresses. Next Topic  

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  5:47:34 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 dresses I'd love to display in my sewing room. My Grandma made them for me when I was about 6 or 7. One is your typical 50's little girl dress with the sash and full shirt you could "twirl" in. It has pockets and a bodice that have rows and rows of little embroidered people holding hands. There was alot of work in this dress. The other dress is a floor lenghth blue taffeta. It was for pretend dress up. I used to pretend to be a princess. I'd love to display them and get them out of the closet. I have a good spot that does not have any direct light. I need ideas on how to do this. You girls are always so good at this. Please send ideas.

Thanks, TEDDIE

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  6:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't have any, but a dress form would be the first choice. Then, if you have the wall space, you could put them on a fancy hangar and hang them like art. OR you could get a big piece of cardboard (like from the packing for a bed or table) and make your own dress form and then some kind of simple wooden stand to hold it up, or lean it against the wall, if that would work...but I bet the other girls will have some better ideas. They sound like fun - would love to see a picture of your finished display! Good luck! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  9:17:58 PM  Show Profile
I think a nice old white wicker dressform would be nice
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile
You can frame them in large poster sized frames.Kmart actually caries a poster type frame that measures about 3 ft by 2 ft. and costs about $20. You can frame the dresses and then put a photo of yourself wearing the dress into the frame also. If you can find things like a little girls hat and a pair of lace gloves to accesorize on a little shelf that would be cute also.
Barring the framing you could get a large shaker style shelf and hang the dresses at either end of the rack and put little hats or purses on the remaining pegs.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Nov 24 2007 12:57:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile
i hung literallly 'hundreds' of wonderful vintage dresses (womens and mostly children's) on the walls .. on strings of beautiful silk ribbon .. on hand-made wooden hangers .. they were wonderfully displayed EVERYWHERE! i still have a smattering of them hanging in these olde cabins .. i can send you some pics if you e-mail me. xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  1:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Would cardboard eventually discolor the dresses?
I like Frannie's idea for just hanging them from ribbon on the walls.
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need help displaying vintage dresses. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page