Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Fire Destroys Farmgirls Home Thanksgiving Eve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Fire Destroys Farmgirls Home Thanksgiving Eve Next Topic  

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  10:06:08 AM  Show Profile
I am writing this through tears. Our Farmgirl Queen, Candace, home burnt to the ground early morning Thursday. She is left with nothing. The community is just beginning to get over our shock and are beginning to pull together to help her out. Our local hotel owner has given her a room for now, our Farmgirl Chapter, The Mountain Farmgirls of Idaho City, are opening an account for donations, and another friend is off to see if he can't find a mobile home to put on his property for her.

This woman is the most incredible person I have even known. A brilliant artist who works 5 jobs to take care of others, lives on very little sleep but whenever anyone needs anything is the first to help them. She is a healer and a wealth of information. I can't even begin to describe how this has affected us farmgirls and others in the community.

Please put Candace in your thoughts and prayers. She will survive this as she has survived so much more and we are blessed that she woke up before becoming overcome by smoke and is still with us.

Thanks for this forum to be able to let others help us in our prayers.

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!

farmgirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Robin
Douglasville GA
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  10:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Rose, how awful. I will definately pray for her. Will you be posting a link to where we could send donations?
Hugs,
Robin

#1 prissy farmgirl.
Oh, I want a pink John Deere Tractor.
http://fonvillefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile
I am so relieved that she made it out alive. I can't drive or I'd be in my car coming south to help out. Also, I am slow getting my packages out due to the fact that I have to wait until anyone can help me deliver them to the post office or UPS, but I have an extra set of dishes and a LOT of clothing in really good shape that I could send...I don't have a lot of money but I've got plenty of goods. If you all need my help, let me know and I'm more than willing to step in.

I'm so terribly sorry for her tragedy

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  10:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Robin and Annika. I can post a link after I get her account set up. It never ceases to amaze me how generous people still are. I will continue to post progress reports as we get past this tragedy, but I just wanted to thank you both for your willingness to help however you can.
Farmgirl love and hugs to you both.
idcityrose

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  10:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Please post a list of anything she may need. If anyone wants to send something, I think emailing Rose would be a good way to do that.

Many prayers of love and concern and healing to you all and big thank you for keeping her physically safe.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest
appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. JFK
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Rose, I am so sorry to hear this devastating news. Although, as you say, Candace will overcome this tragedy, I look around my home and think "what would I do without my treasures?" I know they are only things, but some are precious family items, etc. Well, please do post a list of anything we might send. And if she needs clothes, what size. Blessings on Candace and all who are helping her. FarmGirl Hugs!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16446 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16446 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile
Idaho City Farmgirls, we're here for you. We'll wait to hear what it is Candace needs. Here's a photo of Candace I took when I visited their chapter in September - cyber hugs her way!

It's time to rally, farmgirls!
MaryJane
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Idaho City Farmgirls! What a shock...I will be checking regularly to determine what Candace needs and where we can send things etc. I am just so sorry to hear this happened...sucks the breath right out of me and makes me hold onto my children that much tighter! I'll look forward to a progress report. So much love is being sent your way!
Peace and gentleness, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:29:06 AM  Show Profile
We are here for Candace and our farmgirls, let us know how we can help.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear about Candace's home, but glad that she woke up in time to get out. I'll be watching this topic to see what I can do to help. I'll be praying for you Candace.

(((hug)))

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Sooo Sorry to hear this! Please keep us posted as to what we can send. Much love and prayers, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  12:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Just waiting now to see what I can do for Candace, I would love to give exactly what is needed- I am so thankful that she has all you Idaho City Farmgirls there to hold her hand through this for the rest of us who are far away.
I will keep checking back!
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  12:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Will send a donation or blankets, or anything that is needed. Please let us here on the forum know an address, or Rose, if you could email one to me, as I cannot email from this forum.

Many prayers being said for Candace - so glad she is alright - all of you idaho City Farmgirls. Thank goodness she has you!

Hugs!!!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  2:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Oh my Gosh, I'll do whatever I can, I'll wait for an address to be posted. I'll be thinking of her.

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a horrible thing to have happen, but I am so happy that she made it out alive! It is great that the community is pulling together to help her. Maybe if you post a list of her needs as was already suggested we could all "call" what we want to send her so she doesn't get a flood of one thing while not getting others.

I can send as many sheets and pillowcases (plain white) as she could want.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:34:02 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about this! Please post a list of her needs, a link or address to make monetary donations - anything that we can do to help. Please tell Candace she is in my prayers.

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  04:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh no!! Having been through that myself, I know the empty hole losing your home creates. Please let Candace know she is in my prayers and whatever I can do from here, I will.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  09:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh my...I don't know how I missed this topic before. I am waiting to see what I can do to help too..what a tragedy!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  10:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Jenny- Somewhere there is a thread with a list of what is needed, addresses and so on....
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  10:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dog saves owner from fire in Idaho City - twice
Anna first awoke her owner then led her to safety after she re-entered the home.
BY CYNTHIA SEWELL - cmsewell@idahostatesman.com
Edition Date: 11/24/07

Anna, an abused stray dog taken in by Idaho City resident Candace Jennings, repaid the favor on Thanksgiving Day.
About 3:30 a.m., the blond heeler started whining, howling and nudging Jennings, who was asleep on the couch. Jennings awoke to find her home engulfed in flames.

"Anna woke me up," Jennings said. "I had an awful headache. The place was filled with smoke."

She ran outside, Anna behind her - but not for long.

"I'm a janitor in town. I had everyone's keys in my backpack. I had to go back and get them."

Jennings crawled back into the burning mobile home and Anna followed, never leaving her side.

Jennings never made it to the keys. She was quickly overcome by smoke and became disoriented. She crawled in the wrong direction, heading toward the pantry instead of the door. Anna again came to the rescue.

"I couldn't find the door. She pushed on me, she nudged me out the door," Jennings said.

The dog and a barefoot, pajama-clad Jennings ran to safety under some nearby trees as the roof caved in on their home. The temperature outside was 15 degrees.

Jennings suffered frostbite and burns to her feet. Anna and Jennings' other two dogs were not injured.

Friday morning, Anna feasted on an omelet at Calamity Jane's Restaurant.

"She's a hero," Jennings said.

The mobile home is a total loss, said Grant Hawk, owner of the trailer park located off Motherlode Road. An electrical problem is the suspected cause of the fire.

Rose Washam is not surprised Jennings risked her life to go back into her burning home to get keys belonging to other people.

"Candace always thinks of somebody else before she thinks of herself," said Washam, who has known Jennings for more than 30 years. "She will go without so others can have. She's known as the town healer."

Washam and other Idaho City residents are rallying around Jennings, an artist who has lived in the mountain town since 1975.

The owner of the Idaho City Hotel offered Jennings a room. Friends are gathering clothes and other items for her. Washam drove down to Boise Friday to set up a special bank account for donations.

"She's an inspiration to all of us," Washam said. "Everything happens for a reason. I guess we will find out the reason for this. Maybe it's time for us to give back to her."

Cynthia Sewell: 377-6428
Dog saves owner from fire in Idaho City - twice
Anna first awoke her owner then led her to safety after she re-entered the home.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

HOW TO HELP
Candace Jennings' friends are in search of a single-wide mobile home to purchase for Jennings.

"It is not that easy to find an older mobile home in good condition," said Grant Hawk, who owns the mobile home park where Jennings lived.

Anyone interested in selling a mobile home can call Hawk at 392-4911. To comply with code, the mobile home must be from 1976 or later.

A bank account has been set up for monetary contributions to Jennings. Donations can be made at any Washington Mutual branch to account number 4921671437. The account is under the name of Rose Washam for the benefit of Candace Jennings.
BY CYNTHIA SEWELL - cmsewell@idahostatesman.com
Edition Date: 11/24/07

Cynthia Sewell: 377-6428

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/219441.html

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

Edited by - Alee on Nov 24 2007 10:47:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  11:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Many thanks to you Alee for posting this article for us. Since Candace no longer has a computer I printed out the two topics for her to see how much support the farmgirls from around the world are giving her. I took them over to her this morning and saw her son who lives in a tiny little house next to his moms and who also got very bad frostbite. Tragedy often makes people stronger and pull together more. I see this happening, again, to our town. While we are only a tiny size town (pop. 413) we all pull together when tragedy happens. There are no words to express how I feel about the wonderful responses from the farmgirls. I think we will make you all honorary members of Idaho City.

Thanks for everything, thanks for the prayers and support. I can feel the prayers and know everything will be OK. While I still cannot control my tears all the time I am getting a little better.

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:49:40 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts, prayers and love go out to Candace. How blessed we are to still have her with us! I LOVE the sweet picture you took of her MaryJane. Simply darling. I will do my part in helping out.

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly" #595
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  06:29:25 AM  Show Profile
I just saw this after the long holiday weekend of not being "in touch" with you girls. Oh, how devastating, and then to read the article that Alee posted. Yay pooch! But, oh, still, how sad. Sounds like she (Candace) is a prize of her community though, and I'm grateful for that.

Will see what I can get together to send.
J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Fire Destroys Farmgirls Home Thanksgiving Eve Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page