Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic 32 Day Holiday Extravaganza Next Topic  

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  09:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
32 Day Holiday Extravaganza

Starting the countdown to the holidays, here you will find a daily idea to keep you busy! Filled with fun ideas for the season, each day will feature something different to add to your season of farmgirl fun. We'd love to see what you make with these ideas so be sure to post your creations and add any variations you have come up with. Wishing you and yours the blessings of the season!

Friday November 23, 2007

Kitchen goodies-
Here's a list of ingredients to give to someone on your list for a perfect BakeOver and a handy dandy way to wrap it up right.

You will need:
BakeOver Sampler - http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=245&ProductID=40502

This is the easy, handy dandy way to do it. The Farm Kitchen Issue is chock full of recipes too!

Another idea is to buy the bulk Budget Mix,
http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=232&ProductID=42011
seperate into mason jars then add some spices, rosemary and thyme are a real favorite..adding something special from your own home canned items works wonderfully. How about a sweet BakeOver with some apples and cinnamon?

After you have your choice of ingredients and some wonderful spices, take a piece of fabric, cut into a circle and make a giant yo-yo out of it. Set your ingredients in the middle, tighten and finish it with a bow. Don't forget to add your favorite BakeOver recipe.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest
appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. JFK

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  10:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Saturday November 24, 2007

Today is recipe day! Anyone with some leftover turkey? If you are like me, you won't let a bit of it go to waste. Here's an adaptation on a MaryJanesFarm masterpiece.

From the Farm Kitchen magazine issue-

Chicken (Turkey) and Dumplings

Family Size:
Soup:
1 leftover turkey ( calls for a 3-4 pound chicken)
2 cups carrots, sliced
plus leaves, chopped
2 cups onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves

Dumplings:
1 1/2 cups Farmgirl Budget Mix
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, optional
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, optional
Pinch of nutmeg, optional
2 large eggs
2-3 teaspoons milk
Yield: twelve servings

1. Soup: Place turkey in large stock pot. Add enough cold water to cover. Add carrots, celery, celery leaves, onion, salt, black pepper, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
2. Remove turkey from the pot. Remove the meat and leave in chunks.
3. Remove bay leaves from the broth and skim off any fat from the surface of the broth. Add turkey and bring to a boil.
4. Dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together the Farmgirl Budget Mix, thyme, parsley and nutmeg.
5. In a small bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Add to the budget mixture and stir well. Add aditional milk until dough is moist and sticky.
6. Drop spoonfuls of the dough into the bubbling broth. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes without lifting the lid. Serve immediately.

I am serving this tomorrow for a late supper. After working outside in the cold, it will be just the thing to warm our bones!

To find more great recipes- look in the MaryJanesFarm Farm Kitchen Magazine. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/magazine.html

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Nov 24 2007 10:38:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  11:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Sunday November 25, 2007

Today's focus is on the Community.

After the big Thanksgiving rush and so many families that receive packages of food, the local food shelves are very depleted. How about organizing a neighborhood can drive. Planning this for your next chapter meeting and have everyone bring a can or two.

You could also organize a can drive where you work or at your local community center, church or YMCA. I suggest calling your local food shelf and see what they need.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Nov 25 2007 11:54:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  08:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Monday November 26, 2007

Anyone starting to decorate for the holidays? I must admit that my tree has been up for a couple weeks already. In fact, I have decorations all over my house. Now is the time for me to head outside and spread the merriment. So here is an idea for our feathered friends;

Cranberry and Such Tree Trim

What I love about this project is that I can have the whole family involved. You can use whatever you have on hand too there is not strict instructions on this just to be creative.

1 bag fresh cranberries
3 cups popcorn, popped
2-3 apples, diced
embroidery needle
heavy duty thread

Just thread your needle with enough thread to make a small string. If you have it to long it gets hard to manage and you can always tie them together.

Just start stringing the fruit and popcorn in any pattern you like. Once you have a long enough string, hang it outside on a tree by a window. Not only are these beautiful and fun to do, you get to watch the birds enjoy it all throughout the season.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

For the best in Holiday Gift Giving check out- http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/holiday_gift_ideas.asp
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  09:14:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks beth! I love making bird treats

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  4:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Tuesday November 27,2007

SO the Thanksgiving holiday is behind us and besides being inundated with holiday buy this buy that commercials, I thought it would be fun to think a minute about starting a holiday family tradition. Okay, so there are already so many traditions but think about it. What would you like to do every year with your family, or even if you are alone that you can start this year and continue on year after year? Maybe it is something as simple as writing a wish on a piece of paper that you hope to see come to fruition in the next year. How about adding a homemade ornament to a tree that you have each made. Maybe this year you could spend a day together volunteering at a food shelf, toy drive or soup kitchen. Maybe you could sing caroles to some shut ins at a nursing home. Another direction to go in- make this years celebration completely organic, or as close as you can come to it.

So todays holiday ideas will come from you, what tradition would you like to start?

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

For the best in Holiday Gift Giving check out- http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/holiday_gift_ideas.asp
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  4:36:36 PM  Show Profile
hank you soooo much for all the ideas Beth! I need all the help I can get! Hugs!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
your very welcome Debi- I will post everyday til Dec 25th. Tomorrow will be a recycled craft!

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Beth - I am really enjoying this thread, thank you! My new tradition is including area seniors in a little kids activity I have at our local food co-op. Usually the kids and their families come and we make earth friendly crafts ( I usually show up with my two little ones in tow!), plant seeds for our gardens and so on...this month we will string old fashioned garlands and make pomanders and we are encouraging 'kids at heart' to join us. I am hopeful that many new friendships will be made!
Cheers! Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Rebekka that sounds great! I love to include everyone in an activity, it just brings you closer together. Today, while out running errands, we bought several puzzles and spent an hour together, all 6 of us, putting them together.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  8:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Wednesday November 28, 2007

Todays idea comes from MaryJane herself. We had been chatting about reusing and recycling things. She mentioned she made fire starters. So here it is!

Fire Starters

You will need the following:

wax- check out the thrift stores if you don't have any old candles laying about, they sell partially used ones VERY cheap.
laundry lint- I save mine and never thought to use it for this
an old pan for melting the wax
any small flat containers to pour the wax into

Melt the wax, remove from heat and add the lint, pour carefully into containers and let cool. Then when you need to start a fire just add one to the bottom and light. These are amazing time savers I tell you.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  09:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I got this from the Urban Farmgirls of MN and just had to share it with you all!

They are having a meeting coming up next week: Cookie Exchange

Please bring your favorite holiday cookie, bars or if you are short on time (like I usually am) a store bought favorite and join us for some holiday cheer.

I will have tea, wine and some light snacks to enjoy with our cookies :-) Please feel free to bring a beverage or snack to share if you plan on saving your cookies to eat at home :-)

Instead of food donations this month, we're collecting toys for the Toys for Tots drive. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy for a child. The biggest need is for ages 0-2 and 10-14. Toys do not need to cost more than about $10. Catherine will collect the toys and there will be a random prize for one lucky toy giver!

Sounds like a great plan to me. Anyone else have any ideas to share this holiday season?

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  12:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Thursday, November 29, 2007

While out shopping yesterday I saw so many gift bags for sale. Now I know there are some really cute ones but I am the kinda gal that sees something and says, I can make that.....well I could make it if I could find the time and energy. BUT these gift bags I know I can make. So here is todays idea, I call it Farmgirl Flair Gift Bags.

Here's what you will need:

3 pieces of any color felt
assorted bits of this and that, like glitter, or buttons or fabric

Now you can choose how you want to sew this or even use a hot glue gun. It is the same design as the Farmgirl calender bags. I used two pieces of felt cut 6" x 8" then 2 pieces 8" x 2" and then 1 piece 6" x 2". Sew the pieces to the bottom first, then the sides and finally cut two small strips for the handle. Now the fun begins, you can decorate them any way you want. Maybe try felting them, or glue some glitter and fabric pieces into a festive design. I am going to wait until I decide to whom the gift is going and then decorate it with their name on it.

Here's what mine looks like so far.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Happiness is not so much in having as sharing.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Nov 29 2007 12:26:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  6:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Friday, November 30, 2007

Today's idea is a gift giving suggestion. I know that so many of us are going to be giving farmgirl flavor gifts. Handmades and handids, bought or bartered from the wonderful farmgirls and especially from MaryJanesFarm. So today I thought I would remind you of all the great things that you can find at MaryJanesFarm. Have you seen the category under Products that lists lots of gift giving ideas? Click here to check it out http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/holiday_gift_ideas.asp

From chocolates(these are do deliscious) to soap eggs and gift sets (already wrapped and ready to give) to decorations and much more.

I thought this a great place to also post, you farmgirls with so much to offer so list your site here so everyone can make it a truly farmgirl celebration.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Nov 30 2007 6:47:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  9:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Beth, I am enjoying this thread immensely. The boys and I are going to make the fire starters this weekend. What a fun family project! Thanks so much. I love your bag. The snowman is darling too!

Blessings, Lea

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  1:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
laundry lint- I save mine and never thought to use it for this
an old pan for melting the wax
any small flat containers to pour the wax into
Just my opinion:
Unless your laundry lint is from 100% cotton clothes, I suggest not using it. I used lint for a couple of years and wondered why we were having so many chimney fires. It was from the man-made fabric used in today's clothing. Would you throw polyester or nylon clothing in the fireplace or wood stove? Of course not.

I sure don't want anyone to risk the chance of a chimney fire and loosing their home.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  5:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the kind words! I agree on the chimney fires. I would not reccommend this for inside burning more from the wax build up too. These are for starting campfires but your point is well taken and appreciated.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  6:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Saturday, December 1, 2007

TOday is recipe day again and my favorite topic. I made three loaves of bread today and then a huge dinner! I am stuffed, is true.

Now we have all heard tell of the famous BakeOver, which I make at least once a week for my big, busy family. Let me introduce you to the Bakeover's little sister. You may not have heard much about her but she is as versatile as her big sister. She is the FoldOver. Think hot baked sandwich with your choice of fixins.

Here's a fast easy recipe , modify it to suit your tastes.

FoldOver

1 1/2 cups Farmgirl Budget Mix
1 tsp olive oil
1 TBL honey
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup preprared Tomato Sauce (pg 125 has a great recipe for this)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 ricotta cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
4 ounces pepperoni, divided into fourths

1. Preheat oven to 425 *F.
2. In a large bowl, place Farmgirl Budget Mix and make a depression in the center of the mix to receive the liquid.
3. In a seperate bowl, whisk together the oil, honey and water.
4. Add the liquid ingredients to the Farmgril Budget Mix abd stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
5. Form the dough into a ball.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 4 peices.
7. Roll each piece into a 6-inch circle.
8. Layer 1/4 cup tomoato sauce, 1/4 cup mozzerella, 1 TBL ricotta, 1/4 tsp oregano and 1 ounce of the pepperoni on one half of the circle of dough. Pick up the other half of the dough and fold it over the filling. Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal. Fold the edges up and over and press the folded edges firmly with your fingers to make little indentations all around.
9. Transfer carefully to a baking sheet. Make a slit in the middle-top of each.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.

Now I don't know about you but I usually have leftovers from the night before which I use to stuff these. You make these with leftover ham and cheese, or like me tomorrow- diced pork with mushroom gravy and some broccoli. YUM!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

blessings
beth

This recipe is straight out of the MaryJanesFarm Magazine- Farm Kitchen Issue, you can also find the Tomato Sauce recipe there on page 125.
I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Dec 01 2007 6:06:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  9:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
"These are for starting campfires but your point is well taken and appreciated."

Thanks for clarifying that.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  7:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Sunday December 2, 2007

This weekend I spent some time out shopping- well looking more than shopping, and I noticed how grumpy everyone is. I thought maybe I was being a bit sensitive but when I discussed this with my mother in law she wholeheartedly agreed. So what to do? How to change the Scrooges? Well I think the best thing will be some good ole farmgirl attitude!

Kindness, generosity, and caring- true farmgirl qualities! In fact I am going to go out of my way to give kindness to even the grumpiest of grumpies!

So todays idea is simply that, see how many people you can make smile. The whole Pay It Forward idea. Doesn't take much but it means so much. Keep tabs and you will be surprised how many people you have touched by the end of one week. You may even meet a new farmgirl sister!

blessings
beth
~*~*~farmgirl sister #27~*~*~

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Dec 02 2007 7:25:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  12:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Monday, December 3, 2007

Today's project idea is one for small children. I always make these every year and it's fun to look back on the old ones to see how they have grown.

Holiday Card Hand Wreaths

You will need:
Old holiday cards from years past
scissors
glue
a pencil
1 sheet of manilla paper

Cut out a nice circle approx 8 inches in diameter then cut another hole in the center 2" in diameter. Trace your children's hands out of the old cards, depending on their size you will need between 15- 25 of them. Glue them in various directions on the manilla circle you cut out. Be sure to date these so you can look back in the future and see how tiny their hands were.

Another idea for this would be to make them into a garland instead of a wreath by attacing them together with ribbon.

Enjoy!

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Snowmen fall from heaven... unassembled.
~Author Unknown~

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Dec 03 2007 12:13:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  3:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Tuesday December 4, 2007

On the subject of toys from a post by JenBove http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15163

I am posting this right out of MaryJane's Ideabook*Cookbook*Lifebook on page 268. http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=262&ProductID=73040001

Romper Stompers

Use two juice cans that have been opened with a "church key" leaving the bottoms and tops of your cans intact (they'll be stronger that way). Rinse thoroughly, then punch an additional hole in each side just below the top hole so you can thread your rope through and knot it. For beginners, use smaller cans. The rope should be just long enough to hold onto with your arms fully extended.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Snowmen fall from heaven... unassembled.
~Author Unknown~

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic 32 Day Holiday Extravaganza Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page