Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 "Christmas foods" & food colouring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic "Christmas foods" & food colouring Next Topic  

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  12:29:37 PM  Show Profile
I went grocery shopping this weekend, and just had to share this with you. I saw a special Christmas form of microwave popcorn by Kernels, that pops red. I read the label, and it has colour in the ingredients. Isn't this sad, now they're putting red food colouring in popcorn. Can you just imagine how hyped up children will be eating that garbage?

Why do food companies have to come out with special Christmas colours of food? Of course, they're aimed at getting the kids to make parents buy it.

Just my rant for today!

Lori

Holiday Angel
True Blue Farmgirl

444 Posts

Pauline
Sweet Home Oregon
USA
444 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  12:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Holiday Angel's MSN Messenger address
Watch the fumes coming from the hot bags out of the microwave also as they have had lung problems occur from them. Combination of the heat and preservatives.
Speaking of preservative's, if you have a tightness in your chest while drinking things like wine or other alcohol it is because of the allergies to the preservative's in it. I had this and thought I was having a heart attack.
Hugs,
Pauline

President Heavenly Angels in Need Children's Division
http://heavenlyangelsinneed.com

Angels in Awareness (About abuse)
http://angelsbeaware.blogspot.com/

America (Support our Soldiers)
http://sugarslifeblog.blogspot.com/

Holiday Blog for Children
http://paulinesholidayblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  1:07:25 PM  Show Profile
I have found it doesn't take that much longer to pop kernels in a pot (with yummy bacon grease - hee!) than in the microwave. The popcorn tastes better too.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  3:21:42 PM  Show Profile
I love this way- use the microwave but put in your own kernels. I learned this from Alton Brown (Good Eats on Food Network) use a brown paper lunch bag, fill with 1/3cup kernels (I buy them in the bulk food section) and fold the top over twice closing the bag, and put two! staples in to keep it closed, one on either side. I know, metal in the microwave? The staples are so small the micro doesn't realize they are there. Pop for 2 minutes (or what will do it on your micro) and pour into a bowl and cover with topping of choice. It really works well, and I can recycle the bag (sans staples.) Mmm.. now I want popcorn..

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:30:42 PM  Show Profile
As a kid, I was taken off everything artificial and was forbidden to eat anything with artificial coloring and preservatives...especaially red! These days I indulge in a bit of Kool-aid in my water just to keep me drinking all day.

but believe me............If I were to EVER have a kid, really unnatural stuff like this popcorn would be a no no.

I don't buy into all the kiddie hype (same with McDonald's and kid cereals). So if a parent sets a better example, how will the kid ever know what he is missing. Not to say a treat every now and again is all bad just not a habit

And, some of the best popcorn I have ever had was from my own father making it in an old popper with one of those handles you turn on the top. MMMM L.L. Beans makes something similar to this, but its cheaper and not near as roomy. Dad's would make nearly 10 cups of popped! He still has a bowl every Sunday night
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:34:02 PM  Show Profile
p.s. And I also recall hearing about the fume thing too.

Are the bags are lined with plastic

If anyone among us is trying to avoid the whole heated plastic delema, I'm not sure if this would qualify or not.

I have made the switch to all glass and paper and only use the plastic continers for storage, not heating.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:54:04 PM  Show Profile
I saw red and green stripped Oreos tonight! Weird!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9375 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9375 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile
I love popcorn, and I make it the old fashioned way in a Whirly Pop popper. Has a wooden handle to turn to keep the popcorn from burning.

I am also trying to go to all glass. Anna, where do you find your glass containers and how do you freeze things not using plastic? I have started using freezer paper for my meats but it has a coating and I don't know if that is some sort of plastic or not.

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  9:34:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Annab

p.s. And I also recall hearing about the fume thing too.

If anyone among us is trying to avoid the whole heated plastic delema, I'm not sure if this would qualify or not.

I have made the switch to all glass and paper and only use the plastic continers for storage, not heating.

I have done that as well. I was unaware about heating plastic food containers until I started reading this forum and did my own research.

I don't eat a lot of popcorn myself, it upsets my tummy.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  5:06:21 PM  Show Profile
For freezing, I continue to use plastic. But if the food is still hot, I let it cool a little before transferring it to a container for freezing. The major problems happen when fats in the foods melt and blend into the plastics and create an estrogen. This excess has been known to cause breast cancer in people predisposed for this type of cancer.

Also think of times when you might have heated something in a plastic container and had the inner sides melt and pit due to the fat. I used to eat like this too.

Same for those Nalgene bottles. That's partly why you aren't supposed to wash those in a dish washer. I also try to carry my drinking water out of those stainless steel flasks. Most healthfoood stores are starting to carry those now.

And especialy if you reheat in the microwave and cover the top of the container with plastic wrap. I used to cover the top so tightly and watch the wrap warp and bow down into the food. OH NO!
Best thing for that are non printed paper towels or waxed paper.

My dog also eats from a stainless steel dish. It's easier to clean and scald to disinfect.

Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile
The pseudo-food that's sold in stores today just gives me the creeps. I've figured out a fairly safe grocery list, and I stick to it, ignoring all the rest. It's amazing how, when I go to Walmart (the only grocery store that carries any organic food in my area), I pass up about 95% of the items. They are all brightly colored and cartoony and salty-sweet, but they aren't even real! We might as well eat sugar-coated crayons.

On a nicer, more wholesome note...Have you gals ever heard of Strawberry Popcorn? It's an old heirloom variety of corn. Stalks grow to 4’ tall with little strawberry-shaped (2”) cobs that are deep ruby red. Gorgeous! Of course, they don't pop red like the ridiculous red food-coloring ones, but how fun would it be to grow your own RED popcorn?! We're going to try it in our garden next year. Apparently, you shouldn't plant it next to your regular sweet corn, though, because they'll cross-pollinate & the popcorn kernels will be too moist to pop. Here's a picture:

I, too, am a die hard pan-on-the-stovetop (or campfire) corn popper. I won't even allow a microwave in our house, much to my relatives' dismay!

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  09:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
ew I hate that! I swore off most anything that wasn't by nature colored that way. The dyes NOT GOOD, my fam always knew they weren't good. You know what else is bad....those things your sprinkle into your fire for "color" I forget what I read on them but NOT HEALTHY!!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  09:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
OMG pauline I just read your thing about wine.....I get that! Or congested....I wondered why, not all wines though. I also get super super cottonmouthed and drink water after 1 glass

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic "Christmas foods" & food colouring Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page