Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Crazy idea? Would they sell?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Crazy idea? Would they sell? Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  12:31:09 PM  Show Profile
You know how the stars align and finally an idea breaks through? I could use some farmgirl input on this one, as I've never attempted such a thing.

Do to a coincidental meeting of some wonderful gals, this idea: Selling home-made children's books at craft fairs and gatherings of farmgirls and farmgirl types. I know a paper-maker, a spinner, a basket weaver, a doll-maker, a writer, and a photographer. What if we combined our talents, produced our own home-made books and sold them?

Am I nuts? Being all hand-made, one of a kind, etc. I wonder what the market would stand for pricing and make it worth while to the group? Sounds like I need a mock-up to show the idea and run it by the gals. Has anyone else produced a shared-talent idea like this for market?

We make a difference.

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  4:43:16 PM  Show Profile
I think that is a great idea, Michelle. Go for it!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  9:02:56 PM  Show Profile
I think it would be really neat to be able to buy all that stuff, hand-made, and made in USA! Just be careful if you combine labor on one item and then have to split the costs! If you all started making things now, you could build up an inventory and have a small store open by spring!
Good Luck!
Cristine

Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are. - Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  8:18:11 PM  Show Profile
I like your idea. I homeschooled my kids for a number of years and would of gone nuts over books like that. The only think that comes to mind would be like it was said earlier, with the labor involved and so many contributors, can you produce the product without outpricing yoruself?

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulticolored-life.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  07:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Michelle - I think your idea is great! No idea is silly, especially if you have one that would let you work for yourself and make something others can enjoy. But you do need to make sure that everything about the business is down in writing - who does what, how you're going to split the costs, etc. Sometimes we tend not to do this because it's with friends. But business has to be business. Get all that ironed out at the very beginning and then go create! Good luck -- can't wait to hear how this goes for you.

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  07:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ooo! I would buy one if Nora could be the "star"!!! That would be so cool to have as a keepsake!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  6:17:04 PM  Show Profile
I think the idea is cute and charming...actually, Alee may be onto something...you might sell books if you could personalize them, maybe?

The big trick is to keep everything fair and square financially..it may take a moment to turn a profit with so many folks participating, but if everyone does legwork, it probably could work. Perhaps an informal contract/guidelines for each person that details what is to be expected of everyone and details of how and what monies get paid should be clearly stated up front...this tends to save friendships later!

Doh! There I go being all citified with the advice, again! :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
great idea for sure!! I'd buy them. well if I had a kid :-P It's funny noone ever says when the stars align but my family and I always say that:)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  3:20:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the smart advice and encouragement. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

simplebasics
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Pomeroy WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  6:03:54 PM  Show Profile
having spent tons of money on children's books....I find this idea
absolutely great!!! Children are little sponges, taking it all in,
and you have a terrific idea, that really should be pursued!!!
AWESOME.

a message from SIMPLE BASICS
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  06:51:47 AM  Show Profile
With all the things that can be done now digitally, you could use a photo editing program to individualize each book. The basic page could stay the same-- use it like a template and when you get an order the person sends you some photos which can be used to personalize the book.

I would look for ways to streamline the labor with each person because with homemade things its always the production end of things that take time (and money) which drives up the cost.

Or the other people (papermaker, etc.) can be who you use to buy your supplies from but you assemble the final product-- that way you have control over what you produce. I have a friend who I buy from like that. She makes homemade paper and I buy sheets from here like I would other art supplies but I use it as I need it and then it keeps things less complicated. I am also not obligated to buy (or spend money) on things that don't fit in with my final vision.

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulticolored-life.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  7:41:19 PM  Show Profile
You know, Sue that is kind of what I was thinking about. Seemed like it might be the best way to go. Now, to make time and get it done, at least a test run. Thanks so much everyone!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Crazy idea? Would they sell? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page