Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Louise Erdrich - Northern Prairie Tall Grass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Louise Erdrich - Northern Prairie Tall Grass Next Topic  

BuckBellHill
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Fern
Belfast Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile

Hi all: I just wanted to share one of my favorite pieces of writing of ALL time...It's an essay called "Big Grass" from a book called Heart of the Land...Enjoy! .... Fern

Louise Erdrich
Northern Tallgrass Prairie

I would be converted to a religion of grass. Sleep the winter away and rise headlong each spring. Sink deep roots. Conserve water. Respect and nourish your neighbors and never let trees gain the upper hand. Such are the tenets and dogmas. As for the practice—grow lush in order to be devoured or caressed, stiffen in sweet elegance, invent startling seeds—those also make sense. Bow beneath the arm of fire. Connect underground. Provide. Provide. Be lovely and do no harm.

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  12:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Love it! Thanks for sharing! Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

rebecca
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Rebecca
Boulder Junction Wisconsin
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  6:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Fern,
Have you ever read "The Birchbark House" by Louis Erdrich? I found it in the "Young Readers" section of my library. I found this book to be beautifully written, completely enjoyable! The story takes place in far Northern Wisconsin, near where I am from. It is about a young Chippewa girl and her family. I could not put it down. You will read it in two or three nights, I guarantee! You will love the part about the crow. Let me know what you think! Thanks for reminding me of this story!

Rebecca of RebeccaJoysFarm
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Louise Erdrich - Northern Prairie Tall Grass Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page