quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  09:12:48 AM  Show Profile
A good idea that was passed to me..................
When you are making out your Christmas cards this year please include the following:

A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue, NW
Wahington, D.C. 20307-5001

Imagine how many soldiers would get cards if each Farmgirl sent just one!!!

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein

Edited by - quilt8305 on Nov 08 2007 12:34:33 PM

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  07:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Mary, that's an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing that address, I'm going to send some this holiday.

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  08:41:23 AM  Show Profile
Mary, Thank you for sharing this information. What a great idea.
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  2:06:50 PM  Show Profile
According to my figures there are currently 4830 Farmgirls......
That would be nearly 5000 holiday greetings for soldiers in the hospital.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Holiday Angel
True Blue Farmgirl

444 Posts

Pauline
Sweet Home Oregon
USA
444 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  4:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Holiday Angel's MSN Messenger address
I hope that you don't mind that I posted this on my AMERICA blog site as many of my My Space friends visit there also. I thought that they would love to send cards as well.
Hugs,
Pauline

President Heavenly Angels in Need Children's Division
http://heavenlyangelsinneed.com

Angels in Awareness (About abuse)
http://angelsbeaware.blogspot.com/

America (Support our Soldiers)
http://sugarslifeblog.blogspot.com/

Holiday Blog for Children
http://paulinesholidayblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  05:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I also had posted this address on another website and was then sent this notification:

just wanted to pass on the info that Walter Reed hospital will not accept any Christmas Cards addressed to "A Recovering American Soldier" for security reasons. From their website:

Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind those individuals who want to show their appreciation through mail to include packages, letters, and holiday cards addressed to 'Any Wounded Soldier' or 'A Recovering American Soldier' that Walter Reed cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting "Any Service Member" or "A Recovering American Soldier" letters or packages. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

Instead of sending an “Any Wounded Soldier” letter or package to Walter Reed, please consider making a donation to one of the more than 300 nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping our troops and their families listed on the "America Supports You" website,Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Other organizations that offer means of showing your support for our troops or assist wounded servicemembers and their families include:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in

For individuals without computer access, your local military installation, the local National Guard or military reserve unit in your area may offer the best alternative to show your support to our returning troops and their families. Walter Reed Army Medical Center will continue to receive process and deliver all mail that is addressed to a specific individual.

As Walter Reed continues to enhance the medical care and processes for our returning service members, it must also must keep our patients and staff members safe while following Department of Defense policy. The outpouring of encouragement from the general public, corporate America and civic groups throughout the past year has been incredible. Our Warriors in Transition are amazed at the thanks and support they receive from their countrymen.

So, it was an admirable sentiment, but you'll be wasting your cards, time and postage money if you send any.

So I hope that this may help. I almost cried when I realized I could not send them a card without knowing a specific name. If I hear anything different about any changes being made, I will let you all know. Our hearts are in the right place.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  09:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Well.........isn't that disappointing! Packages I can understand, but a Christmas card?! And I was sent the information by a veteran................

Mary

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Cards For Soldiers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page