Page: of 2

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  3:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Small world! We live off of 213 between Molalla & Silverton. I just love the little town of Silverton.

I'll have to do a little experimenting and see what I can come up with on the d/w soap recipe. Maybe someone without well water might try it and see if it does the same thing?

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  5:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
I thought the recipe was 1 part borax to one part baking soda. it has been working well in my not very good dishwasher. I ran out of "normal" hand dishwashing detergent today while canning, so I used 1/4 c.vinegar and a tsp of baking soda and I am amazed at how ell and how quickly those big pots came clean. As for the toilet, i am all for the white vinegar! I am even using it on my walls today!
happy cleaning.

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:42:36 PM  Show Profile
I like the vinegar and soda for the hand washing. I like cheap and good!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile
I have tried the borax and baking soda, and it has left a nasty white film on my dishes that rinsing won't take away. I have vinegar in my rinse dispenser, and I have city water. I seen another recipe using equal parts washing soda and borax, but I haven't tried that, I am about half afraid to. I have considered the liquid, but from what I have read here and other places, it doesn't work very well either. Has anyone else come up with any other automatic dishwasher detergents. I am about to give up and go buy the Cascade gel packs from Wal-mart that I love.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  10:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I haven't had the best of luck so I have been buying 7th generation dish detergent.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  08:43:55 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try the soda and borax recipe, as I seem to be allergic to cleanser and soaps lately, even hand soap etc... and when I run the dishwasher, I get so sick, I feel like my throat is scratchy and shrinking!

Thanks for info, farmgirls!
kate
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  6:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
bump

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  03:50:06 AM  Show Profile
can you make a big batch of the liquid detergent up ahead of time? I would never have time to mix it up each time I load

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

annegirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Stacey
Texas
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  06:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Send annegirl a Yahoo! Message
i'm wondering the same thing...can you make a big batch ahead of time?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  08:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes- You can make a big batch ahead of time. What I would do is make a big batch into a bucket but keep a smaller sqeeze bottle to make the size manageable. You could use an old sports drink bottle for this.

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  12:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you one and all for the "recipes". I'm excited about trying that dishwasher formula. I'm one too that uses vinager for everything. Made up my first batch of laundry detergent yesterday and can't wait to use it after I empty the stuff I have now. Anyone have a recipe for making a laundry softener besides using vinegar in the rinse cycle? My clothes come out rather wrinkled and hard and have to iron more. Would be ever so greatful for any ides you have out there. Have also found a great spray for glass coffee tables to keep them looking not so dusty - in a spray bottle put one cup of water and 1/4 cup of fabric softener liquid. Tried it and it works - we have two dogs, so the glass coffee table was always getting dog fur on it. After using the spray - the dust and dog fur are no longer a problem.

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  2:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annie- The only think I can think of is either buying a eco friendly fabric softener or using a little bit of your hair conditioner as fabric softener. I know there are eco friendly hair conditioners and I have used conditioner as fabric softener before. It can be pretty dillute and still work well.

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  5:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Alee - thanks so much. I do use an eco-fabric sofener now, but thought there might be a home-made version. I'll try that hair condition thing tho. Do you use the cheap stuff or the higher end conditioner? Or does it really matter since you water it down. Thanks again for the tip.

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I usually just use the cheaper stuff!

Alee

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic dishwasher detergent recipe? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page