Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic dishwasher detergent recipe? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a natural dishwasher detergent recipe?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  5:19:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if you prefer liquid or powder soap but here is a recipe for both. I have tried the powder and it is ok but not great. I just found this one for the liquid though and I'm going to try it. HTH.

AUTOMATIC DISHWASHING SOAP

1/2 cup liquid Castile soap
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3 drops tea tree extract
1/4 cup white vinegar
Combine water and liquid Castile soap. Stir and then add lemon juice, tea tree extract, and vinegar. Stir until blended evenly and store in a squeeze bottle. Use 2 tablespoons per wash in a standard-size dishwasher. Note: Do not substitute conventional liquid soap for the Castile soap unless it is a "low sudsing" soap. Regular soaps will produce too many suds and overflow the dishwasher.

A phosphate-free automatic dishwasher detergent recipe:

Mix 250 ml (1 cup) of borax with 125 ml (1/2 cup) of baking soda.

Fill the machine's detergent dispenser as usual. (Borax, or sodium borate, is a mineral salt. It is used as a degreaser, deodorizer, mild antiseptic and water softener. Look for it in the laundry section of the grocery store.)
Go to Top of Page

littlehippiechick
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tina
Bloomsbury
Canada
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  10:28:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow! Last week I poured some vinegar in where the rinse aid goes and my dishes have never come out sparklier! I spemt so much money in the past on expensive detergent that only kind of worked. We have hard water, and it leaves HORRENDOUS spots. Well not anymore with vinegar! I am confident that this new recipe will be great and wonderful for the environment! Thanks!

Little hippie chick!

No man is ever worth crying over, and the one that is...won't make you cry!!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  11:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tina,

White vinegar in the rinse dispenser does work great!! Better than the expensive stuff!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

littlehippiechick
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tina
Bloomsbury
Canada
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  08:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, we couldn't beleive it! I've got everyone trying it now! The only thing is, they don't really notice a difference because thier city water is way softer than mine.

No man is ever worth crying over, and the one that is...won't make you cry!!!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  7:25:25 PM  Show Profile
I use vinegar in the rinse too. I does work pretty well. Have you guys tried that automatic soap yet?
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  09:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Boy am I happy! I just got MJ's book and was excited to see all the natural cleaners in her book, yet not one for the dishwasher. Thanks Lonestargal and Littlehippiechick for the info. Going to make up a batch of soap soon! Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  10:21:09 AM  Show Profile
I checked a book that I have that gives a lot of (primarily) penny-saving substitutes for cleaners, etc. Most of the "recipes" for the cleaners are natural. However, the only thing listed was very similar to the powder one that was already posted by lonestargal, except for the ratio:
"Mix 1 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tbsp. Borax".
(The book is called "Dining on a Dime" by Tawra Kellam and Jill Cooper and includes "Cleaning Cents" and "Pretty for Pennies" and is written to help you save $$$$)

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey! I just ran a load of dishes with the borax soap recipe and vinegar rinse. Sparkley clean! I will be getting the ingredients for the other recipe and give it a try as well.Thanks again girls!
Any one have a good toilet bowl cleaner that will disenfect as well as clean? I'm thinking just white vinegar. Any thoughts?

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:29:36 AM  Show Profile
I love the cleaning power of white vinegar, I just get so sick of that mayonnaise smell... once I use up all my current products I am going to experiment a little by adding essential oils into a vinegar water combo and see what I get...

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:49:36 AM  Show Profile
Toi;et bowl cleaner (well, really All Purpose Cleaner, toilets, sinks, counters..)
1 gallon water
1 cup ammonia
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup baking soda
combine, put in spray bottle, spary on, wipe off (maybe not in toilet bowl, hehe, there you'ld flush)
Source: same as above recipe I posted. Works well for me, take care when mixing first, my mix foamed a little bit.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  6:01:52 PM  Show Profile
I've heard for toilets to use straight white vinegar and pour into the bowl. Let sit for a while so it can disinfect. Then scrub. For the seat and such put vinegar in a spray bottle.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  9:53:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Klara and lonestargal, I am so excited about all these natural cleansers that I even have my husband going, especially when I told him not only will it be healthier, but will save us money. I used MJ's recipe for the dusting spray, wearing my apron I dusted gleefully! I never thought cleaning could be so fun!!!!

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  12:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julia, where do I find the recipe for dusting spray. I would really be interested in this? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  5:40:13 PM  Show Profile
The dusting spray is from MJ's book on page 396. If you don't have the book yet.. just put a cup of warm water in a spray bottle with a few drops of any essensial oil,shake, spray a few shots on a rag and dust away. The moist rag really does the job, plus there is no fumes. Now it's your turn again. What about a carpet cleaner?

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julia!!!! I'm going to try it this week. I just finished up my old bottle of Pledge that I found. Now I know why I stopped using it...headache all day after dusting. Anyways carpet cleaner? Here you go...

Carpet cleaner:Mix: 1/2 cup mild liquid washing detergent and 1 pint hot water. Let cool until it forms a jelly. Whip into a stiff foam with a beater. Apply with damp cloth or sponge to small section at a time. Rub gently. Wipe with clean cloth. Allow to dry. For steam cleaning, don't use the commercial solutions. Instead use plain water or plain soap or baking soda or a combination of the two.

I've also heard that if it's a fairly fresh stain you can take club soda and soak the area then dab with a dry cloth until stain is removed.

If you want a carpet freshener...

Carpet Fresher
4 cups baking soda or cornstarch
35 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
30 drops Lavender essential oil
25 drops Rosewood essential oil
or any combination of your favorite essentail oils
Measure 4 cups of baking soda into a bowl, add essential oils. Break up any clumps that form, stir until well mixed. Before vacuuming sprinkle powder from a shaker type can or jar. Let it sit on the carpet for about 15 minutes then vacuum.

Herbal Carpet Freshener
1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup lavender flowers
Crush the lavender flowers to release their scent. Mix well with baking soda and sprinkle liberally on carpets. Vacuum after 30 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:11:28 PM  Show Profile
I've got to get the MJ book. Next on my list to buy!!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kristi, My Little Cleaning Guru, Thanks for the carpet recipe!
You'll love her book. I will be using it with a friend as homeschool curriculm for our girls.

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Julia, your so funny. I can't wait to get that book. That's awesome that you will be teaching your kids the book.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  5:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Hee hee! I am looking forward to school staring as I am needing routine!
Hey Kristi, what about an oven cleaner?

Edited by - Julia on Aug 20 2005 12:01:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile
It takes a little elbow grease but I take A LOT of baking soda, I mean cover your oven quite a bit with it and get as much as you can on the sides and back (I use a spray bottle with water and mist the sides so it sticks better) then use the spray bottle and soak the entire oven so the baking soda is pretty wet. I usually do this after we've cooked dinner then soak it several times before I go to bed then I get up in the morning and use a wet sponge and scrub the oven. Most of the stuff comes off pretty easy. It's kinda messy with as much baking soda that is used but in my opinion I'd rather the extra couple minutes to clean up baking soda then suffocate myself with Easy-Off. Hope it works for you!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  9:18:57 PM  Show Profile
You little wonder! Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  8:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Welcome!
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  09:25:27 AM  Show Profile
I made the recipe for the diswasher soap with the castile soap, lemon juice, water. tea tree and I'm sad to report it didn't work very well. It leaves a chalky film on everything. I even tried putting vinegar in the little rinse container to help break up whatever was being left behind.

Anyone else out there have another recipe that I could try or any thoughts on why it left such a yucky film? I used good quality castile soap.

We currently use Melalueca and with shipping and everything, that turns out to be around $7 per container!!!!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Well that's a bummer. I don't know why it would leave such a film. Hopefully someone else will have some tips for ya.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey Carla! I grew up on a farm between Woodburn and Molalla, on highway 211. I love it out there.
I use the recipe that Kristi, my cleaning Guru, posted that just uses Borax and Baking soda. It has worked well for me. maybe the problem with the recipe you are using is your water. YOu might want ot fool around with different measurements to find what works best. Simply, Julia

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic dishwasher detergent recipe? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page