Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 My health is going down the potty: Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic My health is going down the potty: Update Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:00:24 AM  Show Profile
First off, I was in a near fatal auto accident in '91 and it took a while for all the mooshed bits to mend. The legacy of this is failing eyes because of a head injury and subsequent eye infection (can't recall the name of the thing now) and a few more bits that never healed right.Went into a bad depression when half of my family passed away in pretty quick succession and was on anti-depressants for a long while, then my thyroid went hypothyroidal on me and some of my other glands followed. Then it was starting menopause (perimenopause???) After which I will be dancing a fine jigg when the silly thing finally quits for good. On top of a bunch of other minor things that I don't feel like typing up, I have been in a lot of pain, head aches, neck and shoulder and hand pain and very moody and teary these last few months. So yesterday I went down to Lewiston to talk to the doctors there about all this (been to pain clinics already) and demand some fixin' since I figured that it was mostly something to do with either my thyroid and/or Menopause. Been worried about Fibro and arthritis since a lot of others in my family have it to some degree.

Now the doctors down there have decided that I'm manic depressive and gave me a strong prescription for meds that I'm scared to take and want more information on. I'm in a bit of shock, since, while I get frustrated and teary a bunch, I count it up to the eye troubles, headaches and pain, and I'm sometimes frazzled, but not usually depressed for very long any more. Still need to find out what is up with my pain issues (more doctor appointments), gonna see if I can get a mild patch for the meno symptoms, My mama had a terrible time going through it.
ARRRGGGG!
I have too much to do for all of this nonsense! isn't getting older a blast?

Trying to figure out what I said I'd do and all of the projects...getting my lil' ducks in a row, but if my art and crafts look like they were done by a 6 year old, we'll just call 'um prim and move on . Gonna try to keep up with everything. I figured I could keep up with everything, but this is all being a godzilla sized pain in the patootie and somedays, I'm just no good from the pain and agitation. I'm really sorry if I've let anyone down. I love all of you girls and want to keep on as part of the community, but sometimes Im just gonna not be able to keep up.

Any suggestions on any of this would be heartily welcome. I'm kind of in a muddle this morning.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Annika on Dec 13 2007 6:09:06 PM

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:05:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Annika.....first a big cyper hug and next good thoughts coming your way. I will e-mail you directly, until then chin up.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Annika if you need anything, lemme know. I will be thinking of you.

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Well Annika, I could have written your post myself. And if prescription anti-depressants are the answer to post-trauma pain, then I better get in line to get mine too. I was in two accidents, both rear enders, in 2001. The first was at highway speed by some guy on a cellphone, the second one four months later was a guy that blew through a red light and plowed into three of us that were stopped on the other side of the intersection.
I'm sorry, but to tell me I'm manic depressive because I live with pain would send me into an angry freakout on that doctor. Why is it that some doctors insist on treating the symptoms and not the cause??? Nothing is more frustrating and depressing that trying to live a "normal" life with constant pain...trying to do the things that other people are capable of. I live at my chiropractor. I finally found one that is an extremely intelligent woman that can give me some relief and allow me to do what I need to do. But it costs me a fortune.
Add to the joy of it all the rollercoaster ride of mentalpause (menopause)! I told my doc to give me HRT or I would go downtown and buy it off the street! He laughed at me and gave me a low dose replacement. I am very aware of the possible side effects and I don't like to have to take it...BUT, at least it keeps me on an emotionally level plane and for me, the minimal risk is so worth it. I can deal with the physical symptoms of menopause, but not the scatterbrained mental part. What fun huh?
So I guess what I'm trying to say here is I totally understand how you feel, but what sure makes me angry is that doctors would try and treat it as a mental condition.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  10:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Manic depression sounds like a really weird diagnosis. I'd get a second opinion, especially if the doctors you went to for your pain issues were not psychiatrists.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile
sending you hugs and praying for you too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  12:34:06 PM  Show Profile
I'll agree with what Diane says. I can't believe the doctors are telling you your problems are manic depressive! It really sounds like a cop-out on their part...when they can't figure out anything, they prescribe drugs. I know it's frustrating for you, but keep trying different doctors until you find one that will actually listen to you. Good luck!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

tuxedo cat
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
Moscow ID
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  1:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Annika,

I have a good friend that was in much pain to the point of not being able to even move. She finally got tired of it and happened upon a book called 'Fat Flush Plan' by Ann Louise Gittleman. It was a total god send for her. She is living pain free and loving it, with just a diet/lifestyle change.

It is amazing how much of the 'extra' stuff that is put in food is not tolerated by our bodies. Have you tried keeping a food journal to see if perhaps you have some food allergy that might be presenting itself in these symptoms? There can be any number of reasons for your symptoms, and if you have a doctor that is focused on just treating the symptoms and not curing the problem, it can be tough. Sometimes you just need to take issues into your own hands or find a naturopath that is going to look for the natural treatments rather than dose you up with meds. I don't blame you for not wanting to take the meds. I am not sure if I would take them myself.

Just a couple of ideas. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  3:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika-

I am so sorry to hear you are having so much pain! I think everyone here on the forum loves you being here with us to chat and share your insights. So whenever you have a chance to hang out with us, please stop by!

Also if you ever need anything! You know I am only an email or phone call away! *hugs* I hope things level out for you soon!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  7:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Annika
I'm so sorry about all this.
I'll be thinking of you and pray for you.
Don't put yourself under more pressure ~

You are loved here and God knows exactly how to meet your needs~
Blessings~
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  10:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Big Sister Farmgirl hugs to all of you. Thank you so much for all of the good wishes and prayers. They mean the world to me. And Alee, I need to ask you out for Tea or something, I'd love to meet you =)

I got tossed back to the psychiatrist that I was seeing for depression when my Mum, Granny and Great Aunt died. He is a really nice guy, for a shrink. And knows a lot about medicines. I talked to him again and my family doctor and he is worried about the chronic pain causing a serious depression relapse. I need to go back and see a neurologist, an endocrinologist and a Rheumatologist. Glad I'm on Medicare and Medicaid. The medicine is to help with my spot headaches and things. He mentioned Bipolar, because that is what this medicine is mostly used for. It is more likely to be a mild form of epilepsy. About half of my family has some form or other and the headaches, and losing words in the middle of a sentence, could be that, some quirky mild seizure....I just think I'm a ditz The pills should help anyway and I'm sick of the headaches and so I'm taking them.

I confess, doctors jabber a mile a minute and talk about all manner of things that have nothing at all to do with why you are there and only give you 10 minutes or so to explain why you are seeing them in the first place. And THEN only tell you what they think is really wrong after you pester them three times or so and then usually only through their nurse. Drives me up a wall. So as long as they fix what ails me, I don't care what they call it.

Annika

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  12:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika-

I hope the medicine helps you!

You want to know what is really weird that I hear the other day? When a song gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out? Your brain is having a minor epileptic moment. I think it is more commone then people realize since we only think of epilepsy as being the problem when someone is having really obvious seizures.

I know how devestating depression can be and how it can become a circular problem. You get depressed so you do whatever (stay inside, eat, stay in bed...) and then you get depressed because all you ever do is whatever! (stay inside, eat, stay in bed...) and that is just an over simplification, I know, but it can be really hard to break out of the cycle.

*Hugs* I think you are awesome for persuing your health. It's worth it and, while it seems like it might take a while and lots of running around, You are worth it! I hope you have a good update for us soon!!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  08:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Annika,
For your Menopause symptoms you might want to try a product called Hot Flash made by Source Naturals and Progesta-care cream made by Life Flo. I was at the point of wanting to KILL because of my symptoms when I came across these products and they were life savers. I do not do hormones or anti-depressants well and thats what my doctor was pushing but Wala these naturals products worked great. They took about 2 weeks to really kick in but I am doing great and no hormones. I've tried others but these work the best. Seems now days doctors are prescribing anti-depressants for everything and I have use a bunch as has my adopted daughter and we found the side effects unwanted. I am not a Doctor just a mid age women going through the changes of life.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  09:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Alee! Thank you. I'm dealing with the depression better, at least for now. I gave back the anti-depressants because they were making me more depressed!!! The Chronic pain is very wearing and adds to the depression. The epilepsy and pseudo epilepsy things are really fascinating. I love reading weird brain science things. Thanks. Now I have something to blame when I get some annoying song lodged in my head.

Thank you for the depression support it means a lot to know that someone understands.

Brenda, thanks for the tip. I'm trying to cut out caffeine and over processed foods due to the nasty effects it has on both menopause and the pain issues, as well as the rest of your health.

Betty Jo, thank you so much! I am going to go poke around and see what I can find. I REALLY don't need more chemicals running around my body. You and your daughter are doing great to kick the anti-depressants.

Likely I'm going to give in and go see if I can get something for the pain issue so that I can at least work on projects. It's rainy and a great day to sit and sew on things, and boy do I ever have a backlog!

Thanks for all of the special farmgirl care.
Wishing all of you a good weekend

Annika

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  10:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Annika, I, although much younger than you, also have a pain triggered depression problem. Mine is in my lower back from working too hard too young, and I have crushed discs and the sciatic nerve gets pinched now and then. I too have been on anti depressants, even though I may have depression without the pain because it seriously runs in my family, I have found that my depression/anxiety gets really bad when my back is bothering me. My husband knows when its bothering me because I seem edgy with him....I really hope you are alright and my thoughts and prayers are with you...
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  08:15:34 AM  Show Profile
I am a little late repling to this but am going through the samething with my dr. I have had Fibro for 10 years now and now also have hypothyroidism, IBS, Polyoviarian Cyst, and a few more things. I had quit working because of all the pain and had really started feeling much better so I decided to reopen my in home daycare. Well over the past 6-8 weeks things have went downhill very fast. I went to the dr about 5 weeks ago and she said that I was just depressed and up the anti depression meds she had me on. I had to go back a couple of weeks later because of a bladder infection and I told her I was not any better so she gave me another anti-depression medicine to take along with the others she had alreay precribed. She told me that I was just depressed, that was all that was wrong. She also told me it was my choice whether to quit work or not, it was up to me how I wanted to live--with money or without. Also the first time she went into whether my husband was abusing me or not. Now mind you I have went to this same doctor for years and she has seen all parts of my body, with no signs of abuse. I decided after the last visit that she is not the dr for me. A dr is suppose to help the situation not make it worse by druging us up and telling us it is all in our heads. I am going to try over the next year to really work on my health, all that I can without the aid of a dr. After all, who knows our bodies better than ourselves. Oh and I am not saying depression it not real. I do get depressed at times, but I can tell when that is what it is. Also all meds are not bad. Just don't follow a dr blindly without question. Hope everything works out. Hugs to you from across the miles.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

If both of our troubles were hung on a line--You would take yours and I would take mine.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  08:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Jeanna, I have compound problems as well and I have a pretty good doctor, which I am seeing today about the pain. I hope that you are doing better soon and that both of us can find peace with our bodies. I am not at all sure what the doctor will say yet, but it sounds like Fibro from what others have told me. I guess I'll find out.

Annika
farmgirl sister#13
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Annika on Dec 13 2007 08:33:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Aw Annika, I'm still catching up as I say everywhere here. First I'm sorry you are having health issues my love. That is always hard. You are not alone for depression. I'm 25 and since I was 17 struggled with it and anxiety. I was horribly depressed mon and tues because my period is coming (gotta love the hormones) but usually I can find a way to deal. I have been on Paxil for all these years, they just threw me on it at 17. Not what I'd agree with but eh.... I am on the lowest dose possible but I do believe I need some chemical balance whether natural or pharmaceutical. The manic depressive thing is interesting Annika, my cousin was bi-polar so I know alot about it. She was completely manic with her highs and lows. She was like another person and indeed needed medication in order to live and function. She was that way since she was a baby. I hope they find out what really is going on with you. But you are not alone! Many prayers and wishes to you and I hope your pain and suffering diminish. PS so many dr.s forget that situational depression happens. You lose people you are depressed-simple. I lost my bf my cousin and almost a dog in less than 3 months....I was depressed but so were the others in my family. They just dub you depressed etc without consideration sometimes. It sounds though like you like your dr. so that is good :) GOOD LUCK and anytime you need me you know where I am:)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  6:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Well, ok, I've got messed up rotator cuff syndrome from my car accident, some kind of deep inflammation in my elbows and something called Raynaud's syndrome in my hands. I'm on Tramadol and a vascular dialateor for my blood vessels. Sounds like I'm not 22 anymore *sigh* but I will prevail yet, even if I go splat instead of bounce back quite like I used to. I have too much to do and will be a good bean and follow the docs orders and hope that I don't need surgery *hopehopehope*

Thank all of you for being supportive, you girls are the best

Annika
farmgirl sister#13
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  6:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika-

I hope you are feeling better!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  7:38:58 PM  Show Profile
thinking of you Annika

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  8:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
First, (((HUGS))) Annika...I do send you best wishes and thoughts!!!

Secondly, I have a friend, Lee, who is going through a lot of what you are going through. She has some pretty severe medical issues, suffers with depression and on top of that, her husband left her last year. She did a COMPLETE overall of her life but in small increments. Now, you don't have to do exactly what she did, but here is what she did to help;

1) Over hauled her diet completely- she had the beginnings of diabets, high blood pressure, arthritis, and fibro with a hosts of other problems like female related and depression. I know she is now a vegetarian and eats LOTS of fruits and vegetables and in the beginning, she took alot of vitamins/supplements to jump start her immune system and health. She drank tons of water--TONS- and just walked everyday and sat in the sun for 30 minutes a day. She doesn't do the supplements/vitamins as much anymore, but she educated herself on the value of food.

2) We majorly cleaned up and out her whole house- I did the yard sale for her. The last of her children had just moved out and she was left with a mess (physically and emotionally). It took me about a month to go through everything with her and I handled the yard sale for her. She went to the SPA that day. She later sold the house after the divorce was finalized and she is currently living in an apartment until she decides her next move. She keeps her house simple and clean. Easier on her stress. We have discussed how we both want land, farms, etc...

3) The one thing she emphasizes is EXERCISE- in any form she can. Walking, swimming, hiking, yoga, stretching, weights- yes she is obsessed but in a good way. She says this has helped her the most. She was a non exerciser before. She has dropped about 40lbs and feels fantastic. She has also worked on reducing her stress. She also got a dog, something she always wanted but her hubby wouldn't allow. She loves it.

She has completely changed her life over the past 1 1/2 years and it does take time, one step, one change, but please keep the light and keep going. I wish you all the best.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by tuxedo cat

Annika,

She is living pain free and loving it, with just a diet/lifestyle change. Sometimes you just need to take issues into your own hands or find a naturopath that is going to look for the natural treatments rather than dose you up with meds.

Wow! I couldn't have said it better myself. I have been going to a homeopathic doctor for almost 2 years now. Here's my story- (sorry, it is a long one)

It started in 1994, I thought I had MS because of the symptoms. The doctor I was seeing referred me to a neurologist. She ran all sorts of tests then sort of agreed it could be MS but she wouldn't be the one to DX me. She left the practice after I'd been seeing her a year or so. Her replacement didn't believe my symptoms which by then were getting worse. Balance, funny vision, weakness walking, my whole body felt like I had been hit by a semi then tossed, slow speech, etc. But he ran more tests which all came back negative. This went on for about 4 years. Then I found a new primary care doctor but saw his nurse practitioner for awhile. By that time my symptoms were relapsing and remitting more often and staying longer. After a couple of years, I was using a cane all the time and dragging my right leg along. Sometimes my left leg would quit too. Humidity and wind were my enemies; either could cause me to stop walking immediately. I lost my speech for the most part for two months; it was so bad I couldn't answer the phone or go anywhere that I had to say more than two words. All this went on for eight years, nine neurologists later, I finally got one to do the right blood tests. Meanwhile I developed heart problems and had a blockage in the right side of my neck. All the problems I was having was caused by a B12 and Folate deficiency. That's it! I was paralyzed, mostly in my legs but other parts of my body didn't work all the time either, and in a wheelchair by this time. A 1/2 hour after my first B12 shot, I was walking with my cane. I started these shots once a week for a month or so, then slowly had to go every five days, then every four days and then a nurse caught that I was coming in so often and told the doctor. Here I was - I could hardly walk, my speech was really strained. I had to beg for a shot, my last one, so I changed doctors. The next DR let me give myself the shots as needed at home. Then I found a sublingual tablet that worked better yet. AND then, after a year or so of that I found a homeopathic doctor. Within two weeks, I was feeling so much better. Oh, I forgot to say...I couldn't add 2 + 2 or decide if I wanted water or soda to drink...decisions were hard. It has been one year and 9 months and I feel great!!!! I just turned 59 in October but I feel like 39. No joke. No medicines at all; all done with nutritional supplements and healthy eating...no junk food or drinks. In fact, I am remodeling a house; tearing out walls, mudding drywall, painting, climbing a ladder, etc.

My heart problems are gone, my blockage is gone, my pain is gone and I can think good enough to remember all what I have typed here AND make decisions too. lol

The moral of the story is.. trust yourself and never give up.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic My health is going down the potty: Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page