Queen Bee

16400 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16400 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  05:09:21 AM  Show Profile
http://www.maryjanesoutpost.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8621#97676

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  05:24:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you MaryJane, I had no idea.
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  06:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Yippee!!!!

Thank you!

Adding it to my Christmas list. :)

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  08:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Way to go Jen!!!! I too am an avid over-obsessive (wait, can you be over-obsessive in this) label reader. It appauls, angers and disgusts me the things that are put in mass marketed food. It is no wonder the state of our nations health and the vastness of obesity. We must ALWAYS read and know what is in our food. Change will not take place until the consumer acts. In this case, you don't buy their product and hit them where it hurts most, in the profit area. I have noticed that some companies are attempting to make changes and there are more organic products offered now. But still, you must read the label and see what is in it and where it came from. This is why I believe that farmer's market, community supported agriculture and gardening are the best ways to get our food.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Oct 26 2007 08:08:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  09:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Jen!

One of the things about High Fructose Corn Syrup that wasn't mentioned is that it actually makes you feel...HUNGRIER! My sister Sara has done a lot of research about it and won't allow it into her home. I was shocked to realize that one of the reasons I was overeating was because of the HFCS in my diet. It is now banned from my home as well!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  09:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you from another "Another" label reader. The stuff that they just "slip" in is horrible and all pervasive
HFCS really packs on the fat, you gotta be careful and read everything.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  2:44:13 PM  Show Profile
I have become quite a label reader too...it is totally amazing how hfcs is in everything! (I try really hard to avoid it, too. The more simple and fresh and local your food is, the easier that is (avoiding it I mean) thanks for posting this MJ...we all need to be more aware of what we are feeding our families!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  08:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I knew it wasn't good for you, but had no idea all the implications. I have done all I can to avoid it, but now will be even more careful to avoid it. I am wondering about Splenda? Does anyone know about that. They "claim" it is just sugar that has been processed differently to remove the calories. I just don't get how they can chemically alter something like that and have no side affects. Just wondering if anyone has researched this. I know articficial sweetners are bad and avoid them entirely, especially aspirtame, but Splenda claims to be natural. Any thoughts?

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  09:43:37 AM  Show Profile
I'd like more info on Splenda, too. When I get a few free minutes here I'll go google it and see what kind of stuff I can dig up on it. I've been kind of worried about it too. It seems really hyper processed.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  4:18:47 PM  Show Profile
oh my, this is so in my face! i've heard some about the "poison" in our food, but want yo ignore the truth. i'm a small coffee drinker-BUT i think there is more creamer in my cup than drink! sooooo, yep it has hfcs in it. so i am going to take this as a message to stop using this product and others. this will be hard--label reading in the store is really hard with a bunch of little kids--heck i have a hard time reading my list!!! thank you for the post, a do fell like we have to out breed this junk from our generations to come! MAY IT START WITH US!!!

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  5:07:40 PM  Show Profile
High frustose corn syrup is so hard to avoid! It is in everything, and sometimes I give up and buy things wiht it anyway. Several years ago, I gave up soft drinks, my breakfast cereal, and lots of products because of this, and still it is hard to avoid. We have to keep trying though!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  9:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Now that I'm a stay at home, I have been trying to make most things from scratch. i ahve reduced but its not completely gone. I can't get away from the Lucky Charms. If you look we are coming back to the all natural, organic way of life. Maybe improved a bit, socially, we are gaining.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  11:14:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup too, but it's in almost everything you buy these days.
I read an article a while ago that there is an increase in the number of corn "allergies" in younger kids these days, because of the amount of high fructose corn syrup that's in everything these days. Scary.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  11:23:59 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying new recipes lately, which call for some unusual ingredients that I don't normally stock, so that's why I have been reading labels more carefully than usual.

I found that there are marinade/grilling sauces with HFCS in it, right next to marinade/grilling sauces without it, where the ingredient list says simply, "sugar" instead. These products were made by the same manufacturer, only differencet being one with HFCS is called "ORIGINAL" flavor and the other, "NATURAL" flavor. The other two flavors by this same company (forgot what they were now) also had HFCS in the ingredients.

I found the same thing with Plum Sauce in the Intenrational Foods section...different brands shelved side by side and one had HFCS and one did not.

So, there are choices, and we can certainly state our preferences using our pocketbooks! Now, I have to go look at the container of creamer that I use...

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  4:36:54 PM  Show Profile
I was really shocked last week when I went to eat a can of soup (the kind you put in the micro (I know bad)) while I was at work. It was Campbell's ABC Vegetable. You guessed it, it has HFCS. That has always been my favorite soup. I used to eat it at my Gram's as a kid. I guess I will have to make my own or find something else. You really do have to look at everything!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  07:25:30 AM  Show Profile
i'm going to find some web sights for you gals- just have to look em back up-one will list a bunch of stuff that HAS HFCS and another list of stuff that is safe. I'm betting that just getting this out of our diet will help a lot with the weight loss;;don't give up make it a quest, do it for your children and those ahead. I'm even thinking of making some phone calls to the co. making these foods, just to let em know that we are on to em! oh, something on the list of "bad" check your cough meds. and the syrups we give our children,,,,,,,we must take action against these things, it is dangerous to our lives, take it serious!!!!!

xoxo mommyread.spaces.live.com
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  6:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Article: Amid debate, grocery chain bans high-fructose corn syrup

By REBEKAH DENN AND KRISTIN DIZON
P-I REPORTERS

There are no Wheat Thins at PCC Natural Markets, no boxes of Kellogg's Raisin Bran, not even any Sara Lee whole grain bagels or Oroweat cracked-wheat hot dog buns.

What customers will find is almost unheard of: a supermarket free of products containing high-fructose corn syrup.

After years of winnowing out the ubiquitous sweetener, the eight-store natural foods co-op announced this week that the rout was complete. While the science behind the move is still the subject of hot debate, the scope is unquestioned.

"The next frontier is here," said Bob Vosburgh, health and wellness editor for the trade publication Supermarket News, who called PCC an industry leader in such controversial topics. PCC apparently is the second significant organization nationally to take on the issue.

And its customers seem to appreciate the ban.

"I'm completely happy about that," said Karen Hunt, 42, when told of PCC's decision. She said it will makes it easier to pick out healthier cookies and chips for her two young children.

Like many PCC shoppers, Hunt is an avid label reader. She avoids all artificial sweeteners and trans fats as well as hormones in milk, and she steers clear of high-fructose corn syrup.

"I try hard not to add that to my family's diet," said Hunt. "I just don't think we need to do that. I'm sure there's a lot of arguments on both sides, but I just sort of feel intuitively that it's better not to."

After public outcry over health issues such as trans fats in food, high-fructose corn syrup is taking shape as "the newest health villain," according to Datamonitor, a business industry analyst with U.S. headquarters in New York. The sweetener has been targeted on two grounds in the nation's obesity epidemic. One argument suggests its cheapness and versatility have encouraged manufacturers to insinuate a tasty but unhealthful load of empty calories into goods such as packaged bread. The other, more controversial, argument is that the biological effects of HFCS are different from those of more natural sweeteners, particularly that it interferes with the body's ability to alert the brain when it's time to stop eating.

"Healthier alternatives exist," said Trudy Bialic, director of public affairs for PCC. "Part of what we try to do is push back to the manufacturer what consumers are saying they want, saying, 'This is what people are concerned about, and this is what they would like to see.' "

Read more at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/341888_fructose01web.html

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - jenbove on Dec 07 2007 6:16:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:06:57 PM  Show Profile
so how did your creamer check out??? i had to stop using mine, now i use frsh cream and splash in some vanilla-- i like
how nice would that be to go to shop in a store with out so much junk! it's really hard to explain to a 2 year old why we can't but oreos, and so much more. and the 3 year old just hates not getting her "barbie " cereal. but they will be thankful someday. change is hard but worth it. Don't give up on making a change just because it's hard. look around, you can find products with out bad chemicals, and just think how much money you save not buying all the junk, (hoping to see a change in the "spare tire" section too!)
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS TOPIC. it has sent my family into information zone!
xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo

Edited by - shawna on Dec 07 2007 10:16:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  3:49:15 PM  Show Profile
We use Organic Valley Half & Half in coffee/tea. It's so sweet & delicious - you can actually TASTE the cows' contentment.

FYI: I hear some school milk may contain high fructose corn syrup!

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots

Edited by - jenbove on Dec 08 2007 3:51:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  5:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
YAY, finally I fit in, I read them too. Lately I'm obsessed about sodium because I tend to retain water and think it might be because of it. I hate HFCS myself. I was super into natural organic eating then stopped cause I felt so alone and wacky. I spend like an hour at the grocery store reading labels and pricing things. hehe thought I was weird

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  8:11:38 PM  Show Profile
No way, Bridget - you're in good company here! I live in the Arkansas backwoods, and I stick out like a sore thumb among the locals, but I gotta be me!

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  06:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Hey noone else is gonna care what we put in our bodies cept of those on here :-D label readers UNITE haha

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  07:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
That's just plain nasty. I have been trying to buy organic if possible and make everything from "scratch" for the past year. I thought I was doing my family and myself a huge favor! Never knew about the hfcs switcheroo! Just went to get something to eat and checked out the frig. IT's Everywhere! I didn't have much to do today, but now I have to clean out my pantry and frig!

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Must Read!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page