Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Friendship Circle: The Traveling Scrap Book!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Friendship Circle: The Traveling Scrap Book! Next Topic  

Traveler_and_Poet
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:02:25 PM  Show Profile
My friends and I got started back in Middle School with a traveling scrap book. We all went to different High Schools and colleges but we kept in touch every year due to the marvelous additions to our traveling scrap book.

What we would do is each of us would keep the scrapbook for a year and put in additions to it. The rest of us would keep our info and when we would recieve the scrapbook we would put the information that we had collected (sorted by year) since the last time we had the book in there. For example, I last got the book in 2000. It is my turn again (there are 5 of us) this year...so everything that has happened to me in the last 5 years is going into the scrap book.

Once every five years we all get together (either during the summer or christmas break) and have a party to catch up and look at the book together.

So far we have had two members (from what I see in the book) get married and they have pictures from their weddings in there and another had a child-- it is so much fun and so special to recieve the scrapbook each time and since I volunteered to be last-- every time I get it I know that the party is right around the corner!

Also, we alternate cities. back in 2000 I was abroad in Rome studying Italian-- So all my friends met me in Italy for the party!
It was a blast and has helped us remain close over the years.

Traveler_and_Poet's Blog

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful fun tradition..I love it!!! Welcome by the way!! You sure sound like alot of fun!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

guerin
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Jennifer
Shandon Ohio
88 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  2:12:58 PM  Show Profile
traveler,that sounds like my girlfriends in college.. we get together every 6 mos religiously... I'll have to present the scrapbook idea to them. They would love it. Thanks for the idea!!
Go to Top of Page

SDPogue
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Sara
Pullman Washington
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  11:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a really great idea. Wish I could do something like that - may consider it sometime.

See what I have been up to in my community. www.geocities.com/sdpogue
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Judy
Cleveland OH
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  11:29:51 AM  Show Profile
Traveling Journals hit the stores a year or two ago, and I LOVE the idea, but in true Farmgirl fashion...I decided to make one myself. My friend and I used to share one. We lived in the same city, but she worked the morning shift at a hospital, and I worked night shifts at a restaurant. We passed it back and forth for years, either by mail or in person, whenever we felt it was time. Sometimes we would just have one new quote written in it, and other times nine new pages of illustrations, thoughts, collages. We were able to share ourselves in a different way, and because we had each other in mind when wer were creating our pages, a little bit of both of us was on every page. I plan on keeping more with others. I have tried with a few friends who say they are "too busy" but I think that is the beauty of it. It's that middle-of-the-night-can't-fall-asleep kind of thing to do. For my best friend, I started a book titled "a sweet little book". Its an itty bitty scrapbook that I have been working on all year. Everytime I think of her, I take time to add a page to it. So far it's filled with handdrawn cartoons, tiny drawings, love letters to her for being my friend, quotes, odd clippings. I plan on giving it to her for Christmas, to let her know how many times I thought of her. Creating things with someone in mind, to me, is like having tea with them when you can't. If there's someone you love, but don't see often enough...whether they live far away or right around the corner...let them know. We all need to know how dear we are to each other.
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  1:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message

Traveling Journals hit the stores a year or two ago, and I LOVE the idea, but in true Farmgirl fashion...I decided to make one myself. My friend and I used to share one. We lived in the same city, but she worked the morning shift at a hospital, and I worked night shifts at a restaurant. We passed it back and forth for years, either by mail or in person, whenever we felt it was time. Sometimes we would just have one new quote written in it, and other times nine new pages of illustrations, thoughts, collages. We were able to share ourselves in a different way, and because we had each other in mind when were were creating our pages, a little bit of both of us was on every page. I plan on keeping more with others. I have tried with a few friends who say they are "too busy" but I think that is the beauty of it. It's that middle-of-the-night-can't-fall-asleep kind of thing to do. For my best friend, I started a book titled "a sweet little book". Its an itty bitty scrapbook that I have been working on all year. Every time I think of her, I take time to add a page to it. So far it's filled with hand drawn cartoons, tiny drawings, love letters to her for being my friend, quotes, odd clippings. I‘m giving it to her for Christmas, to let her know how many times I thought of her. Creating things with someone in mind, to me, is like having tea with them when you can't. If there's someone you love, but don't see often enough...whether they live far away or right around the corner...let them know. We all need to know how dear we are to each other.
*PS I had to re-register so I decided to post this again
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  4:41:51 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

wvtracy
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Tracy
Stephens City VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  11:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Ijust had to thank you for the fabulous idea of a traveling scrap book! Had never heard of one, but now am using the idea with two of my friends! I think I might suggest this to my church ladies too. Wouldn't it be great to have someone thinking and praying for you each day but writing it down so you can look at it again and again!
Tracy

www.handstoworkdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  5:22:34 PM  Show Profile
what a sweet way to keep in touch with 'olde friends'. thanks for sharing. xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Friendship Circle: The Traveling Scrap Book! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page