Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Embroidery addiction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery addiction Next Topic  

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  03:47:47 AM  Show Profile
I never thought to even try to embroider. Thought it would be so difficult. I had a sunbonnet sue pattern that my girls received at Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House in the Big Woods" a few years back and decided to try it. Red work - looks lovely!

I'm hooked! Now I have so many projects started and planned - I don't know what to do with myself! I'm working on horse pillow cases for my girls - A Christmas present. My sil's birthday is coming up and I want to stitch some chihuahua's for her. I found a great pattern at Sublime Stitching along with 5 others..... I tell you I'm hooked! Now to find things to stitch ON!

I've only done simple stitches so far. I think I need to buy Mary Janes stitching book. That would just feed my addiction!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,--
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
Dorothy Frances Gurney

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  03:55:57 AM  Show Profile
I am also hooked... so I know what you mean. I love the Sublime Stithing site and patterns. I just ordered the Stitch it Kit so I could get the 35 patterns in there. Lots of plans for projects. I have other patterns from SS too -- really love them alot. My son sees me stitching all the time and now he wants to try. He wants to use some SS patterns, but he also wants to come up with his own designs. - He is very artistic (Miniature painter) and loves all types of handiwork. It is so funny to hear others that are as addicted as I am..... Happy Stitching!!!
cw
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  04:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
hi gals, I am behind schedule for an embroider swap so on a mad dash to get things done....grr
got my neck so sore that I'm using heat on neck while still stitiching. I don't think I'm addicted..but your topic is encouraging to me...LOL

Quilting...sewing..reading...posting...swapping. I LOVE being a FARMGIRL!
Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  06:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Good Morn Ladies, I got addicted to embroidery as an adult. I started learning doing Brazilian Embroidery. Basically some fancier stitches. I only got to take one series and there was 3 series. And have not found nayone else to teach it. But Will go on by myself. Its the thread thats hard to come by. I am sure there are sites just have taken time to look. I love to take my time and not to be rush. I love blackwork & redwork as well. Plus I own a embroidery machine.

debinmtns
Have a Gratitude Attitude
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  09:53:33 AM  Show Profile
I have been hooked ever since Gran(Mom's mother)and Mom taught me when I was around 7
Gran and Mom taught me the love of needleworks all different kinds
Mom didn't do as much as Gran and me; she was always working and cooking in the house
My Dad's Mom like to embroidery in the winter time when she had to stay in doors a lot
I think she mostly did the dish towels things
and maybe some pillow casses.
Oh, I am doing a lap robe for Mother-in-law for Christmas
It has 12 blocks of different kinds of flowers
I am doing different colors as she loves that.
I am going to do scallops edging all around it to
look more like a small quilt
This was to be a wall hanging . I am turning it into a lap quilt.
Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  5:00:18 PM  Show Profile
I love to embroider too. My grandma taught me when I was 7 or so and I have always come back to it. It is the most comforting craft for me..just comes easy and I love the results. I am embroidering some quilt squares right now and a couple small gifts. I always have a few projects going at any given time.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  5:06:41 PM  Show Profile
I agree with y'all. I'm hooked. Over the summer I started looking on some of the crafing websites, including sublime stitching, and thought, 'hmm, i wonder if i can do that?'. Well, it turns out I can :-) I haven't done any advanced things yet, just basic stitiches, but it's a lot of fun! It's also a great little project for me to do at night when I'm at my other job answering phones for a catalog company. It's really easy to pick up and do a few stitches between calls. I currently have 2 projects going and both are about half way done.
Oh, I also found a great blog/group on flicker (i think that's where it was). Anyway, I saw it listed somewhere and typed in the name 'feelin stitchy' on google and it just popped it up. There's lots of fun projects to look at, great tutorials and some great links too. Okay, I went and searched and here is the website: flickrembroidery.blogspot.com

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  9:06:14 PM  Show Profile
A really nice embroidery magazine that after seeing just one issue, I've fallen in love with, it is called "Inspirations" and is by Country Bumpkin in Australia...it runs about $14 an issue, but is so worth it, as they have easily half a dozen projects, along with all the patterns, and if you like, you can order the projects as a kit, with all the supplies...
www.countrybumpkin.com.au
way cool stuff I tell ya...I love to embroider, and wish I had learned much sooner...

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  04:25:52 AM  Show Profile
I bought the camping pattern from Sublime stitching. I'm hoping to stitch it onto denim patches and then sew a patchwork camping themed quilt for my hubby. Wondering it I could also use flannel in there - not to stitch on, just to give the quilt more color. ???? I've never quilted before - so this will be quite a project for me. (Think I'll start next year!)

The links you've all provided are addicting!!!! I've bookmarked them so I can look when the kids are at school!

I have found a site with video tutorials. Much easier for me to learn the French knot now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dorothy Frances Gurney
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  04:39:55 AM  Show Profile
Deb, that is so funny. I saw a girl on Craftster.org that was doing the same quilt made from recycled jeans and thought it was so cool that I too want to make one for my family when we go camping. Right now I have too many projects going (Christmas gifts) so I'm not able to start it until Jan. Maybe we can share our progress and encourage each other. I love the camp out pattern. and the krazy kitchen, craftopia, monkey love, dress up ..etc. etc
cw
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  09:04:28 AM  Show Profile
That's where I saw it at! I need to find that picture. I couldn't remember what site it was on. Thank you!!!! What do you think about the flannel along with the denim?

I'm going to start in Jan. as well. Let's keep each other company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dorothy Frances Gurney
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  05:15:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Deb, Here is the website for that quilt. I think it would be great fun to keep each other company while stitching this up. I'm really looking forward to it.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191563.0

Happy Stitching
cw
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh I just love embroidery! I'm beginning to think ALL handwork is addictive!! Recently after months of embroidery and quilting I turned to crochet. I wanted to do some dishcloths after a swap that introduced me to how wonderful they are!!
Jessie, from NJ-(crshlpmeet) sent the loveliest ones and it inspired me to do some myself.
Now I am doing them for Christmas gifts!
I purchased some really pretty redwork patterns in Houston recently too- so i see redwork coming around the corner!
Just wanted to stop by and share addictions!!!
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  09:13:20 AM  Show Profile
hey, this is a cool site with free embroidery patterns....
http://needlecrafter.com/

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile
Handsewing is my favorite method....so yes, embroidery, quilting and everything else handsewn RULES!

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  11:39:02 AM  Show Profile
cool site Naomi.... lots & lots of patterns... thanks
cw
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  04:34:51 AM  Show Profile
That is a cool site!

I have a dumb question! If I wanted to use an online pattern - how do I transfer it onto fabric?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dorothy Frances Gurney
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  04:47:05 AM  Show Profile
Deb, what I would do is print out the pattern then use dressmakers transfer paper and put it on your material. Maybe someone else has an easier tip.
Stepanie, I agree. I also love to handsew. It is just so calming. It is also my favorite.
cw
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  09:32:22 AM  Show Profile
They have iron-on transfer pencils..only advice, make sure your lines arent too thick, and...remember, the design will be reversed when you iron it on...so if you are doing..."Monday" and you print it out.. "Monday" um...it'll read ..."yadnoM"....so..be sure your design is facing the right direction...haha

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  12:11:35 PM  Show Profile
I started to embroidery when I was around 12yr. I am just now starting up again and love it. I really only do basic stitches but it is very relaxing. My Mom has a jeans quilt that my grandma made years ago.

Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  03:19:24 AM  Show Profile
I have some sets of free faery iron on transfer in barter section if anyone would like them. Be sure to post over in that thread so i will know :)

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! Items i look for in a barter .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery addiction Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page