Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic homemade cleaner need help! Next Topic  

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  08:49:31 AM  Show Profile
ok gals i know i can get help from you! my friend has to go on a major spending diet! one thing she has to cut back on is cleaners. she is a bleach addict! so i was hoping for the hardest working (and hopefully cheaper) cleaning recipes you all got. she buys organic yogurt and bananas so surely a good safe cleaner will make her happy!? thanks

xoxo s.r.

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile
if she likes bleach so much she should really be using peroxide. seventh generation sells their big jugs of peroxide as non-chlorine bleach.

I use vinegar to clean most of my surfaces. For the tub I have been using bronners Sal Suds its a BIG BIG BIG jug and can seem expensive on purchase, but ou only use a teensy tin amount each time...just a few drops cleans my whole bathtub and shower surface.

laundry powder is 1 cup of milled castille soap, 1/2 cup of borax, 1/2 cup or washing soda and 1/4 cup of baking soda plus EO for scent. Use 1-2 tbsp per load.

I use vinegar for fabric softener and peroxide for bleaching and of course line drying-even in the winter.

rubbing alcohol and vinegar is what I use to clean the commode. I use borax in water to clean floors. it keeps ants away.

oh man I have a ton of recipes. I teach green cleaning and cleaning with pantry products through the fair, the community ed and other small events locally. let me finish nursing and do my work out and I'll go get my book-o-clean which has m recipes for things in it

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  07:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Tasha I always love to read what you have to say, you always remind me of something enchanted. I was stalking your blogs one day hehe just so much to learn. :)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  07:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Tasha,
Do you have a book to purchase on your green cleaning products? I am very interested. I used to use bleach, but because of the fumes I refuse. Not to mention the damage it will do to our septic system.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  07:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Baking Soda and vinegar are must haves for green cleaning. You can use them to do just about anything from washing windows (Vinegar And water mixed 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water with just a drop or two of some biodegrable dish soap to get the wax that other window cleaners leave behind) to cleaning your sooty oven (baking soda made into a paste and left of a time then elbow grease).

You can take a biodegrable liquid soap or homemade soap that has been gelled in water and mix in baking soda until you have and emulsion. That is my homemade "Soft-Scrub" look alike. It works great.

Also tell your friend that vinegar kills germs. You can use it on your cutting boards and counters. Vinegar also absorbs bad smells out of the air and as it dries that vinegar smell does go away and leaves behind a sweet smell.

Vinegar and water for the floors and I just use my window mixture on counters and toilets and everything.

I make my own laundry detergent by putting in a box of washing soda, a box of borax, a 2lb box of Baking soda and the equivalent of about 10 ounces of homemade soap (or if I am lazy 2 cans of the powdered borax hand soap). It works great and you only have to use a tablespoon.

I use vinegar as my rinse agent and make sure I don' over dry my clothes to avoid static electricity.

Here is a great site as well http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8088/clngrn.html

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  6:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Yup all I use is vinegar and baking soda! Even on my hair. I used to have dry scalp (flakes) I tried every shampoo and conditioner on the market, and never could get rid of it. After one month of using only baking soda and apple cider vinegar on my hair no more flakes, for the first time in over 20 years! And if you complain about the smell of vinegar I can tell you the rx shampoos for dry scalp smell much worse then vinegar! Think burning TAR! lol

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Dec 08 2007 6:07:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  8:23:22 PM  Show Profile
thank you all for info.! i will be making lists

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic homemade cleaner need help! Next Topic