Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Oh My! Back From Wyoming/Car Break-Down
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oh My! Back From Wyoming/Car Break-Down Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  4:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My mom and dad flew me down to Wyoming. It was great to see everyone again without having to worry about schedules and events to go to.

The reason for the trip was so I could drive my mom's car back to Idaho since Doug and I really need an extra vehicle. My mom has a really well taken car of 1995 Dodge Intrepid (she's the original owner) that she is letting me buy. So I was really excited.

The car was doing great until I hit about 50 miles from Moscow. I heard a "Ca-Thunk" and suddenly the power steering went out on it. Which was rather scary because I was climbing a mountain at the time and was in the passing lane trying to go around a logging truck. As I looked down to try and figure out what was going on, I realized that my engine had suddenly red-lined into over heating. So I got over to a pull out section of the road and let the engine cool down. I couldn't figure out why it was over heating like that. Unfortunatly I was not at a place where I could turn around and the logging trucks zooming by were pretty scary. So I tried to limp it down the road, it finally wouldn't keep going any more. It wasn't starting and was over heating.

Luckily, a nice older couple stopped and offered assistance. They were business owners who have a lodge about a mile or so from where I broke down at. They took me and Nora to their lodge so we could use the phone. I called some friends who lived about 40 miles away to come get me. We tried to get the car to a repair shop, but it finally started spurting out black smoke and dripping oil.

I realize now after talking to people, having the car towed, and general trauma from yesterday- that the fan belt broke. I am waiting to hear from the mechanic to see how much damage I ended up doing to the car! Oh Ugh! If only I had managed to turn around and get back to St. Maries when it first broke down.

So you all haven't heard from me for a while because I was in Wyoming and then I was stranded alongside the road!

Good thing for friends who came and helped me!

Hugs!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  5:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh Gosh Alee!
I've been worried about you and Nora on the road. I'm just glad that you're back safe and sound.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  5:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Oh Alee!! I hope everything turns out okay!! Call if you need anything!

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  6:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Annika and Amanda! Yes, we are safe and sound. I am kicking myself for not realizing it was the fan belt that broke- but live and learn I suppose!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  6:33:27 PM  Show Profile
I"ve been wondering about you too, Alee. Car trouble is just the worst! Especially when you have a babe with you. I'm so glad those people stopped to help you. So sorry about the car. Everytime I drive to Montana I worry about that - what to do if I have trouble in the middle of nowhere - so I know the feeling well! Glad you are home safe and sound though (and I've been driving for almost 40 years and I wouldn't have know it was the fan belt either!)

PS If you were a bit south of St Marie's you must have been right by my son and DILs new place.

Edited by - mikesgirl on Nov 01 2007 6:34:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  6:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri-

I was thinking about that as I was driving! LOL To bad I didn't have the computer- I would have tried to get ahold of you to get their number! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  7:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
We just changed out fan belt and drive belt in our car. We go to a place that changes our oil for us and as these things get bad they tell you how critical they are. So I think I would rather spend 350.00 in advance then dealing with it afterward. I am so glad you two are ok. I always worry about things like this because i pretty much always have three little girls with me every where I go and being stuck on the side of the road like that is so much more dangers as there is no way to defend your self and three kids just doesn't work.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Nov 01 2007 7:33:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  04:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,
So sorry for your car troubles. I can certainly relate (if you saw my post about my transmission going out on my min-van during rush hour traffic with my kiddos on at a really busy intersection.) I know exactly what Road you are talking about too, if you were coming from St. Maries, and it doesn't have much shoulder, is winding and sort of has cliff edge drop offs into to the water! Yipes!! Glad you made it back safe. Hopefully it is just the fan belt and nothing else. I don't know if the Intrepid has this feature, but our F150 broke down a couple years ago and we thought it was something major and actually it was just that the blankity-blankity mechanic that had just done changed our power steering fluid, forgot to put the lid on it so we lost it all while pulling a trailer in the middle of no-where. But it caused everything to systematically shut down and we found out later it is a protection mechanism that protects the vehicle from further damage. So hopefully that is what your car was doing. Best of luck with it hon!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  05:58:34 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, Alee! Must be something in the air, all over the country! We had car trouble too, but luckily, the (last 2) times our car broke down, it was in our driveway, and not on the side of the road in God's country!

I'm glad that someone was kind enough to stop for you and Nora. Hopefully, the fan belt is all it is, and you can get on your way.

Good to hear from you, be well!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  06:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Good golly! Glad kind people stopped and helped you and Nora. That IS scary, not knowing how to fix something yourself and being in a busy part of a road. Hope everybody is well on their way to having cars that obey today! Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  08:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Alee you poor thing. i was reading your post and immediately thought serpentine belt. I see it was the fan belt. I know that when the power steering goes out suddenly that it can be a belt. A little thing I have learned as my belt has broken numerous times (and I now can fix it myself!) is to take the belt off immediately and get to a service station or even just a place where you can sefely stop. The reason to take the belt off all the way is to prevent it from wrapping itself around your water pump so that doesn't break. Just a tip I learned. Also- keep the belt to show the mechanic so you can see the cause of the breakage. Sometimes they just wear out- other times there can be another cause that needs addressing or the belt will just break again if it's not repaired. Sounds to me like we need to add minor auto mechanics to our list of things! Just knowing what is wrong is half the battle! And can prevent more damage being caused.

Good luck dear heart, I hope it all works out for you.

((((((Hugs))))))

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  1:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Maybe not everyone knows that a cell phone does not have to be activated, only charged, to call 911. When I get a new one, I always give the old one to someone who does not carry a cell and can not afford to get one. Just keeping it in the car can help a person in need. For many years, the abused womans shelters have asked for them, to give to women who may need to call for help. I realize that there are dead zones with no coverage-have several between here and Reno, but would be better to walk a bit until there's service than to wait for hours for someone you might trust to help.
So glad it worked out okay for you, Alee. Let me know if I need to get one from my son or daughter to send you.
Ronna
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  3:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ronna-

Yes, I had a cell with me, but it was one of the big black holes of no-coverage. I kept looking and looking but no signal to be found anywhere.

I heard from the mechanic- an arm from the water pump sheared off causing (or was caused by) the belt to break. So everyone cross their fingers that by repairing those two items the car is safe and sound again!

Thanks!

Alee

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  7:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee girl s0 glad that y0u are h0me safe and yes will be praying f0r a simple s0luti0n and l0w payment!!!!!!
Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  4:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
Sorry to hear about the car. So very Glad there were some nice people to help you. Being the owner of several older vehicles my son Had a simple rule. If it makes noise or starts leaking things.. STOP!! and call for help. You can do more damage by driving it. Since I have 4 sons and a DH I have a rescue squad to come help. However I also belong to AAA. For$50.00 a year the American Auto Assoc. will come tow you for free, jump your battery for free. plan road trips with maps and tour books. and provide lots of other services. We have used that towing more than I can tell you. The membership is worth it. Check them out online.

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oh My! Back From Wyoming/Car Break-Down Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page