Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Need farm location ideas Next Topic  

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  3:37:00 PM  Show Profile
DH and I want to move when he retires in 7-10 years, and would like to purchase a place before then. However, since neither one of us have much experience living anywhere else, we are at a loss for places to look.

We want to live where there are 4 seasons. Fall is my FAVORITE season, and I really want to surround myself with all those yellows, golds and reds!

A location with good rainfall is important. We've had enough experience with drought (we're in around the 10th year of drought here) that we really crave green.

Although neither of us have experience with snow, we don't mind dealing with it since it's part of that 4 season thing We were looking at Maine, but it seems almost a majority of the year has freezing temps SOME time during the day. I can handle several months of cold weather, but I'd sure like a longer growing season :)

Any ideas/experiences would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile
I feel that there is no better place than the blue ridge mountains especially for the change of seasons. I am in SW Va. We almost never even have a threat of hurricane or tornados if the hurricane comes as far in as we are it is just ran. There are some of the most beautiful farms around for sale here too.

Good luck with your venture,
Becky

Loving Living Simply!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  05:19:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure where your perfect place may be, but I can assure you Louisiana isn't it. Let's see, this year it looks like fall was on October 23rd, and I think Winter will be on or around January 12th. And I do mean literally one day for each of those seasons. The rest of the year is either scalding hot or too cool to be fall and not near cold enough to be winter, and just wet enough to make it no season in particular! However, I'm a born and bred Louisiana girl and I do love it here, in spite of the weather. Maria, I do hope you find that perfect location, and when you do, let me know!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  07:28:42 AM  Show Profile
My Olde Kentucky Home Sweet Home!!! (heaven on earth! four distinct seasons! friendly people! slow paced life (as long as you are in the country!) INEXPENSIVE state to live in! (we paid $10,000 property tax on our home and four acres in Maryland (between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. .. .Annapolis) ... and only pay $400. for two log cabins .. a barn and 'schoolhouse' on 30 acres here in Kentucky! quiet, sleepy, (but still vibrant) town nearby ..history .. kentucky is oh so charming! (i honestly think Kentucky is America's best kept secret! (and i'm only telling FRIENDS about it!) xoxo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

e-mail me: Freedom_Valley_Farm@windstream.net

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  07:36:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! We'll look into VA & KY. DH was born and raised here in Phoenix, and has never lived anywhere else. I've been here since I was 7, so we're REALLY clueless about what it's like to live elsewhere!

AZ and Louisiana sound like they have a lot in common. Weather is either hot or not as hot. Rain is an urban legend these days. However, I really DO love it here, it will be difficult to leave!

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1799 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1799 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  11:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever been to the Midwest? I live in Iowa and we have the 4 seasons. Right now, we have the most beautiful fall scenery there is. We have winters with snow and cold, springs with rain and flowers, summers are hot. All the midwest is neat -I have traveled to Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and
Missouri.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  12:08:00 PM  Show Profile
I second Frannie about Kentucky--especially the bluegrass regions. I live in Northern Kentucky (which is great for travelling the tri state, but doesn't have a lot of land left from development). We get a nice 4 season spin, but we have suffered from a drought this year, like almost everyone else. Our winters are cold, but snow fall isn't a daily thing, and it's magical when it happens in excess. I love our autumns, and I REALLY love our springs. I returned here after living in northern Michigan, England and NYC, and a brief stint in Maine and Boston, though I'd return to Maine in a heartbeat!

Basically, I'd shoot for anywhere in our beautiful tri state area, along the Ohio River Valley (Indiana--Switzerland County, Hanover and Jefferson Counties, near Madison, Hanover, Vevay, Versailles, Connersville etc...) all has gorgeous, sweeping farmland, and shares the river valley, so you get beautiful hills, too; Southwestern Ohio (Butler County-Ross, Harrison, Shandon, Oxford etc..), also similar landscape, in between the Ohio River and the Whitewater River Valley and just beautiful, plain and simple--the Shakers moved there in the early 1800's if that tells you anything of its beauty!; Northern Kentucky (Gallatin County, Henry County, Southern Boone and Southern Kenton County), and I LOVE parts of Bourbon (Paris and Winchester areas), Jessamine (all lovely), right on the Kentucky River, and Woodford Counties--Versailles area, Danville area, Bardstown area etc...Land is getting expensive in the more fertile parts of Kentucky, but it is still do-able. Seems like Indiana is a bit more reasonable from the real estate books. Pendleton County, near Northern Kentucky is a pretty place, and land is reasonable, but the local government and schools are terrible and the folks, not much better.

**Oh, I forgot to add that we are literally an hour to 2 hours away from most cities, if that matters, don't know what you're planning on growing, but there are great farmer's markets in Lexington and Cincy, and I'm sure everywhere else, too!** 2 to Columbus, Ohio, 1 1/2 to Indianapolis, IN, 1/1/2 to Louisville, KY, 2 to Lexington, KY, 4 to Nashville, TN, 5 to Chicago**

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Oct 31 2007 12:47:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  7:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Marlene and Jonni for your ideas, I've been looking up those locations as well :)

Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  09:07:54 AM  Show Profile
well, i'm going to add MO. to the list. we get a good 4 seasons. it gets hot and it gets cold. some snow but usually not too much. great growing season, i've seen lots of flowers still looking nice! lots of green MOST of sring, summer, and fall. (my husband is mowing today might be the last time for us this year) we are smack dab in the middle of the state i think so weather is usually ok, we do get humidity though! but hey who is asking for perfect. land prices aren't too bad, lots of farms for sale i see all the time. not sure what you are looking for as far as home and amount of land but sure would love to help you find something! I need friends, (can you tell?)

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  09:36:34 AM  Show Profile
I would definitely look into MO, KY, TN, IA or IL. Any of those states have 4 seasons and you can probably get property that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Can't wait to hear where you decide to go!

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Nov 03 2007 09:36:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  09:41:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Frannie and Jonni - Kentucky is gorgeous! Also, southern Indiana in the Jefferson, Switzerland, Ripley county areas....and father east like Crawford, Harrison, and Spencer Counties are all beautiful!

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
my country folk art business website: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  10:33:05 AM  Show Profile
I really really agree with Becky about Virginia. I could send you some wonderful fall pics of what it's like now. Winters arent usually too harsh, but you can definitely tell it's winter.
Virginia would be my suggestion!!!
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  5:17:04 PM  Show Profile
And decide if you want humidity or not!

I live in VA now but am originally from CA. I had a wonderful garden the first year that, thankfully, even though I neglected it, it still grew. But that was the only year I had one. It's soooo hot here! Morning...night...daytime... all the time! And lots of bugs. The bugs were the main reason I couldn't stand to be in the garden. Even with mosquito spray I would still get a ton! It's only been about a week since I stopped using my A/C. :)

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  10:59:26 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the others in recommending Kentucky. I live in the East Central part of the commonwealth, it's still considered the Blue Grass region yet I can see the Eastern KY hills from where I live. Like Frannie said the cost of living here is inexpensive. The seasons are beautiful, you get a bit of everything. But the summer time can get a bit humid I admit. Maria, fall is my favorite time of year too and most years it's really pretty here.

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  8:16:51 PM  Show Profile
I am a born and raised Missouri girl and love the Saint Louis area, but I've travelled all over the country and I have to tell you, in my opinion, Virginia and North Carolina have the prettiest areas and great 4 seasons, but you can't beat the friendly people of Kentucky. I've never met a person in Kentucky that didn't greet me with a smile and welcome me to their town. My DH and I would love to retire to one of those three states but it looks like our destiny is going to be right here in good old Missouri. We are starting a family business of ornamental iron fencing and landscaping with our 3 boys.
If you get the chance to travel, do yourself a favor and take a trip to these three states and check them out. You won't be disappointed. I promise. If you go to NC and VA, you must drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. The scenery will take your breath away!

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
We have 30 acres (with 15 year old trees) for sale in southeastern VA. Email me if you're interested!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  7:55:01 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate all the suggestions! We are hoping to plan a few trips to different areas, and this is making it a lot easier to plan!

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Need farm location ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page