Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  11:22:59 PM  Show Profile
The "super bug" MRSA, which is a type of staph infection that is extremely resistant to most medical treatments is growing at an alarming rate. In fact, in the last 2 monthes, there have been over 2000 more cases of MRSA diagnosed than HIV, causing some to proclaim this the new "plague."

When I first started hearing about MRSA, as the mother of three teenage boys, I felt a sense of panic. So I spent some time on the internet researching this "super bug" and what we can do to help prevent it. It is most widely being spread in our school systems and children and teens have been the highest rate of those infected. The most important thing our children (and all of us!) can do, is to wash constantly and to make sure they have no open sores nor do they come in contact with others with open sores. It is important that any open sores are cleansed thoroughly and then covered with a bandage or wrap. My boys are typical boys, who often find washing "optional" so in our household, it has now become something I am really trying to drill into them. Also, if unable to wash, keeping an alcohol based waterless cleanser with you is important.

We have had three new cases this week in our area according to the news and the numbers are growing throughout the country. Rather than panic, we need to really push cleanliness and educate our children on how important this.

Thought this was important enough to pass on!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

farmgirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Robin
Douglasville GA
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  04:10:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm a nurse in a progressive care unit, we see lots of MRSA. The most important thing that you can do is to wash your hands in hot soapy water with lots of friction. I have realized that recently because of the cost of paper towels, that schools do not teach proper hand washing, they teach to carry bottles of antibacterial foam with you. That does not get rid of the bacteria that carries MRSA, they are resistant. Make sure that if you do have to use an antibiotic, finish it. That is how most of the resistant strands have become resistant. They get just enough of the antibiotic or antibacterial soap to, get a taste, but not kill it, so it becomes stronger and needs something more powerful to kill it the next time. But during the mean time they are reproducing strands that are resistant as well.
We have had several break outs around here, most all of which have been traced back to high school weight rooms. The kids are sweating and not wiping down the equipment properly.
So many scary things out there, makes me wish that I could home school.
Just remember, hot soapy water with lots of friction, for at least 15 seconds.
Hugs,
Robin

#1 prissy farmgirl.
Oh, I want a pink John Deere Tractor.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  06:47:35 AM  Show Profile
The "friction" is a good idea . . . making sure you really are scrubbing away the bacteria. I never thought about sweat! Yipes! My boys are all into sports and spend a lot of time in the locker and weight rooms. I better ad this to my "teaching" on this subject. Thanks for the info.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  09:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Theraputic grade essential oils have also been shown to kill off lots of this! There is a bbc article out on it.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  06:29:36 AM  Show Profile
we are experiencing a mrsa problem here.. several of our schools have reported cases.
peggy
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  06:35:44 AM  Show Profile
Teach your kids to sing "Happy Birthday" when they wash their hands. The song is just long enough for proper hand washing.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic MRSA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page