Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Heath suggestions Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Heath suggestions Please Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I am in need of some suggestions regarding some health issues I'm having. I have been in contact with doctors and they are helping BUT now I am on 4 RXs and I hate it!!!!! I am also doing Physical Therapy and acupuncture to help. Heres the issues. I have a scoliosis in my lower spine L3-L5 which they think (after $8000.00 dollars worth of tests you would think they would know) is pinching a nerve that causes severe pain in my ankle. Sometimes in my butt but usually only in my ankle by the ankle bone. The stress of the pain and working (preschool teacher/director of an early childhood center)has caused a number of other health issues to arise. My colitis has now become full blow and I am on the verge of having to go back to diapers. I also have a cold sore beak out. My hot flashes have reappeared after a year and the are hot enough to heat our Wisconsin home. My diet has gone from healthy to sugar, carbs, and fast food. I try to rest but the guilt of wasting the time in bed or on the couch flat is driving me crazy. Veggies to freeze, speeches to write, crafts to do with the holidays ahead. Son's coming home before new deployments. AHHHHHHHH!!!! The worse part of this is it is holding me back from my life and I'm beginning to get depressed. So the vicious cycle begins. I know I need help!!!!!!

Any suggestions on cleansing my body? A slow easy way. I have done the cold turkey methods and love the results but I'm not strong enough to have the will power. Also my body is under so much stress from the pain and RX's that I need to take it easy. Any one have some colitis friendly food recipes? I'm hungry!

Thanks for any help you have.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:21:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time Betty Jo. There's nothing like health problems to really wear you down.
It's so easy for someone outside of your situation to sit back and say you need to do this or you need to do that. I think you already know what you need to do with your diet and I think you KNOW that you would feel better digestive-wise if you modified it to suit your health predicament.
Something I would suggest though is trying a chiropractor for your back and ankle problems. I'm fairly confident one could help you. I have a daughter that had a bad curve in her lower back. Long story short..she broke the growth plate of her tibia on a trampoline when she was 8 and it didn't grow the same length. It has since been surgically corrected, but they had to wait until she finished growing at 15. Anyway, she developed leg pain (sciatica) because of her posture and twisted pelvis that radiated down her leg into her ankle and also developed IBS. The chiropractor helped her tremendously. I never would have believed a chiro could help with IBS. Having said that, I would sure do some asking around for a good chiro. You want one with a good reputation that is good at what they do. Really, what have you got to lose?
Also, with everything you have on your plate that needs doing, can you delegate some jobs? Maybe if you were to alleviate a little bit of the stress of having so much to do, you would feel better physically as well as mentally.
I sure hope you feel better soon. Hugs to you and for pete's sake, pamper yourself - you deserve it!!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  3:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Betty Jo,
I am sorry you are having a rough time, but I do think there are some things you can do to help yourself. First and foremost, remember you are your best advocate . . . not the doctor or anyone else. So you have to want to help yourself. That said, your first issue, sounds like the ciatic nerve is being pinched. I dealt with this during pregnancy because my babies were all very low and liked to sit right on that pressure point. But it can also be associated with weight. It is amazing how many people with pinched nerves seem to get relief by losing weight. Then you also mention colitis. I had a severe bout with ulcerative colitis many years ago and spent 23 days in the hospital on TPN feeding tubes, while pregnant with my second child. I learned the importance during this time of handling stress better and of eating better. For me, it wasn't fresh foods that were bothersome, it was rich dairy products and too many carbs. You say you eating too much sugar,fast food and carbs. Those are pretty much the opposite diet of what you need. You need to eliminate as many heavy dairy, carbs and sugars as you can. Truly focus on eating healthy. Envision yourself as a slender, healthy woman full of energy and vitality. Now claim that for yourself. If you give into the pains and accept yourself this way, poor diet and all, you will be throwing yourself into a vicious cycle of depression, weight gain and even more health issues. I think the best thing any of us can do for ourselves is to focus on the positive . . . to see ourselves as we should be, not necessarily who we are at the present and then lay claim to that image for our future and strive for it. It is not an easy road, we can't wallow in our circumstances nor expect the medical field to "heal us". It truly is a journey of personal strength. If you are up for the challenge, force yourself to say, "Enough is enough! Today I am embracing a new me . . . a stronger, healthier, energetic me! I will eat healthy, exercise and do what I can to heal my own body." I know it may sound simplistic, but I truly believe most health issues can be overcome to great degrees through our own determination to live positive, productive lives. Wishing you strength, stamina and the self esteem to know you are worth making this effort!

With hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  5:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Eat healthy and see a chiropractor.

And I know you said not extreme, but when I've been at my worst in pain and bad cycles of varying things, I do a juice fast. I used the book Juicing for Life and just did the general cleanse. I did it for 5 days...and it was hard to not eat..and the first 2 days I had the worst headache and felt miserable. But by the time I was done I was amazed at how pain-free I felt in the all the spots that normally bothered me: back, feet, carpal tunnel, headaches, etc. It was really worth it and I'll be doing it again after I have this baby.

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  6:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Go vegan!!! Nothing has made me feel better,look better-I don't get sick!!! I eat lots of fruits ,fresh veggies ,beans,lentils tofu etc! And I always get some exercise everyday! Even if its just a walk with the dog!!!I feel soooo strongly about what we put in our bodies effects our health! I limit processed foods and sugar too! I don't mean to sound preachy and I know some things aren't that simple but best of luck and many hugs!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  4:33:29 PM  Show Profile
Mima,
I think you and I are kindred spirits! So preach it girlfriend! LOL! I really do believe we have a lot of power over our bodies by how we treat them. It is kind of like homes . . . homes that are run down, peeling paint, broken windows, etc. are in poor shape because of lack of care. Our bodies need care too. Betty Jo, Mima and I truly wish the best for you . . . but it does take effort and perhaps even a bit of "extreme" effort in order to get the results you need and want. Best wishes to you! You are worth the effort!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thank you for all the support and suggestions. This has been the worst week ever spent most of the week in bed with a reaction to my flu shot but I am on the road back. Still filling sluggish but mind set is better. Yesterday my boss asked me if I wanted to order out for lunch. Of course I said yes and ordered grease and carbs. Best part they did not taste good. Then my DH took me out for dinner more grease and carbs. Needless to say WOW what an evening!!!!!! Guess the body needed one more Hurah. Today I start with the detox Carbs are going as is grease, alcohol and soda. Thought I would give up what is easiest first. Tuesday will be hard as I have training for my Christmas job at See's Chocolates which means taste testing of all the products. Wed it's sugar that goes. That will be hard with all the chocolate around me but I'll manage. Acupuncture has been a great help.Go once a week Sounds funny but those needles do the trick. I have been doing my PT 3x's a week also. But the best is my oldest son is home on leave and we (they are and its a surpise for me but their not good at keeping secrets) are having a huge B-day party for me so that will be fun. Today I will finish my freezing and clean my desk and studio for the rest of the weekend along with rest. One day and 1 pound at a time and taking time for myself with brain power I hope to get back to my semi-vegetarian way of life I left about 10 years ago. Also buying an expensive tea water heater so I can leave my coffee for special occasions and not the every day morning drink. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  8:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Betty Jo,
I am so happy you are planning to start eating healthier. Not only will hit help you physically, but I think your outlook on life will be so much better too! If I can encourage you to begin walking each day too, that would help. Just try to increase a little each day. Wishing you great success!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  9:18:45 PM  Show Profile
hang in there and stay positive! It's so hard to make changes sometimes, even when we know we want the results. You give me a push a long in the right direction! I too need to make lots of changes. you know all kinds of fun stuff, like better diet, more movement of the body. But I too am having some "body pain". My pelvic is twisted up, or around or something like that. It causes lots of pain while pregnant (which I'm NOT right now :)! now i'm having troubles with my range of motion in my leg, pelvic area. It's very uncomfortable and happens a lot! The chiro. told me to not walk more than 1/2 a mile and to go slow. This is not really what I wanted to hear. Anyway I understand the feeling of "its not getting better". I so look forward to the age of menopause and You should be enjoying this stage in your life, so lets push each other (all of us) toward a "can do!" attitude so we can enjoy the days God has us here on Earth. I hope you have a very special time with your son. My son is just 2 mths old now and my heart cries for you and yours. May you see Gods Blessings around you!

p.s I would strongly encourage you to check out some herbal methods for help. Teas and vitamins and maybe some Essential oil treatments might be (I think for sure) very helpful and enjoyable at the same time. Can't beat that!

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Shawna, We are in this together!!!!!! Today I'm going through my cabinets and rearranging them so that I have my foods close at hand when the urge to grab junk comes on. The daily pain and coitus attacks are the worst but hopefully they will subside in the next few weeks with a softer diet going through my system. I've switched to 100% juices and when the urge for a soda comes on I add 1/2 seltzer to the juice and always use curshed ice. For what ever reason crushed ice makes it better. I will be adding walking as soon as my PT instructor feels it's safe. But I am looking forward to my acupuncture treatment on Thursday. I also have another doctors appointment on Thursday to discuss a shot of steroids into my bad which I'm going to hold off on until I see how the diet thing goes. Bad timing for the diet with the holidays up coming but I'll just figure it out some how. If you need a buddy for support feel free to e-mail me. There is power in groups.

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  06:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Boopster and Shawna,
I agree that it will empower both of you if you can encourage one another and team up together. I understand that you don't want to overdue on the walking, but know that at least some is very important. Without walking, you back will get weaker and weaker . . .especially if you are overweight. It doesn't have to be intense, but just do something each day . . . walk around the block, to the mailbox (ours is about a block away), do a lap or two in the mall. But then steadily increse it. Shawna have you had recent surgery or something to make walking risky? Most doctors, within days of a surgery, have their patients begin walking . . . it SPEEDS UP recovery. Until you strengthen your lower back muscles, which happens through walking, you will not regain the strength you are wanting. If you Dr. truly is saying not to walk, I would majorly question that and perhaps find a different Dr. with a more fitness minded attitude.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Heath suggestions Please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page