farmgirlruns
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Dana
Mount Vernon WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  9:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello all farmgirl friends. I have been away for a week on vacation along the Oregon Coast with my husband and two of my four children. It was great to get away, but I am also happy to be back home tending my garden and chickens. I just wanted to pass on that while I was away my power bill arrived. I opened the bill and I was so excited to see that my power bill had dropped from $104.00 to $68.00 from last statement. Now, why do I tell you this? Well I have really been a stickler with my family about not using the dryer this summer. My girls have whined a few times but have eventually hung their laundry on the line as directed by their frugal mother. My husband chuckles when he sees me admiring my fresh hung laundry and the delight I get when retiring to a freshly made bed of sheets hung on the line. I have always hung my laundry in the summer but have not been so adamant about the kids hanging theirs as well. Well, now I am glad I did and I know they have learned the value of saving energy by such a simple task as hanging their clean laundry in the sun to dry. Ahh! I love summer.

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  03:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Dana! I agree with you about drying laundry outside, it's a great savings on electric bills and who can resist drifting off to sleep on fresh sun dried sheets! It's the little things that make life enjoyable!

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  06:03:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dana,
Check out the huge clothesline topic in the Cleaning Up category. You'll find lots of kindred souls there.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Good on ya, Dana! My husband just put up a new clothesline for me. Though it isn't as long as I would have liked, it makes me smile to see my things flapping in the wind. I have been known to bury my face in the laundry after it is taken down. Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  7:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Dana, when we moved from the city to our farm, my husband laughed when I told him I was going to start hanging laundry out. I now would rather use the closeline than the dryer. Even through last winter I was able to use the closeline most of the time. The only drawback is I bring in spiders and insects. My husband even had a bee in his sock once. Mary Jane
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Dana! I'm anxious to see if our electric bill has dropped any. I've been hanging out every load of clothes for the last month. I ran out of line today and had to dry some blue jean shorts in the dryer -- I honestly could not stand how they felt coming from the dryer. Not sure what I'm going to figure out for this winter. I'll have to get another wooden drying rack.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  12:44:14 AM  Show Profile
A related topic under Cleaning Up: "Wooden clothes drying rack"
-Marylouise

quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Hi Dana,
Check out the huge clothesline topic in the Cleaning Up category. You'll find lots of kindred souls there.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Go to Top of Page

farmgirlruns
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Dana
Mount Vernon WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  08:47:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Barn Goddess

Dana, when we moved from the city to our farm, my husband laughed when I told him I was going to start hanging laundry out. I now would rather use the closeline than the dryer. Even through last winter I was able to use the closeline most of the time. The only drawback is I bring in spiders and insects. My husband even had a bee in his sock once. Mary Jane

Go to Top of Page

farmgirlruns
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Dana
Mount Vernon WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Barn Goddess

I do have a little problem with insects as well. Especially now that the mornings are getting cooler in the Northwest. Little spiders seem like they are everywhere. It seems worse if I leave the clothes out all night. I try not to do that but it happens.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hanging laundry Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page