jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  06:22:49 AM  Show Profile
I hope I am not repeating a previous topic here!

I recently learned to make rag rugs at Karin's house in Georgia when MaryJane visited. I am really loving this new craft. I have purchased four sheets from Goodwill so far. I am obsessed with checking for new ones as they arrive! Haunting the sheet aisle..

Anyway, my first attempt at a rug swiftly began to take the shape of a sombrero. Hm..... I ripped it out totally and began again. This one is a nice oval shape, but still likes to curl on the outermost edge.

I am asking for tips from others who know tricks that perhaps I did not hear the first time around. I take extra stitches in many places as I go around, and I try to stay really loose with the strips, and still it curls. My daughter's is nice and flexible and flat, although she had one corner that appeared mysteriously!

I learned that Meg's way of attaching the strips is way better than knotting.

How often should you take an extra stitch as the rug gets bigger?
How do you tie off when you are finished?
Are the rugs better if you use pretty skinny strips, even smaller than 1 1/2 inches?
Do you work on a table or your lap?

Psalm 51: 10-13

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  06:44:23 AM  Show Profile
This sounds like a question for Sunshine!!! She makes lovely rag rugs...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  07:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you don't have enough increases in your rug that will make the cupping or sombrero shape. if you have too many increases the edges will start to wave action going. If you end up with a mysterious corner that means you kept increasing in the same spot try to stagger them so this doesn't happen unless of course you want a square, rectangle, hexagon, or octagon rug. If you want a circle or oval stagger those increases.

i work on the floor my stripes are usually between 3 and 1 1/2 inches wide for crochet rugs true for braided rugs too.
I work on the floor because my rugs are usually to big to sit on a table. Plus I think it helps in seeing if your rug is waving or cupping.

when finishing a rug I weave my tails in. Then I usually do 1 to 3 rows that are start and stop compleat per row this way in time if the edges get worn out I can take out the outer row and either replace it or just remove it and the next row is intact and a strong edge and boarder for the rug ( I prefer three rows this way)

On round rugs you increase as often as needed on ovals only on the curves and on anything with a corner only in the corners

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 29 2007 3:10:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  09:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie have a look here, this might help..

www.crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa100299.htm

Di
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  12:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine, thank you! That is alot of help. I have been making my increases in the wrong places, as it is wavy now. If I correct it as I continue, will it get better and behave itself as it grows? Do I have to rip it out again? I was thinking if I increased every three or four stitches, that would make it loose and flat all around. So I only increase on the ends of the oval, if I am making an oval shape. Okay.
Diane - I read on the site you recommended, and further learned that it indeed my increases that are the problem. Thank you, too!
Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 29 2007 12:19:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  3:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
normally best to tear it out than try to correct it latter. as you will always have a sort of bulge in your rug where it was wavey

Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile
I love to make rugs, too. I have done toothbrush rugs, locker rugs, braided wool rugs, crocket rugs and now knitting a rug. Squares rugs you increase on corners and oval rugs on the curves, but round rugs are alittle tricky. Practice makes perfect. If its not laying flat you have too many or not enough stitches. I hope you enjoy making rugs. I certainly have.

debinmtns
Have a Gratitude Attitude

Edited by - debinmtns on Oct 30 2007 09:58:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Debi,
How would you knit a rug?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  4:13:17 PM  Show Profile
My Grandmother crocheted hers
I did a couple; but I found I really didn't
like making them.
We still have Gran's throw rugs she made
She also made chair mats too.
those were really cute, Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  4:42:32 PM  Show Profile
the rug i am kniting is called Handicrafter Cotton twists rug on the Beret site.

debinmtns
Have a Gratitude Attitude
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  7:52:34 PM  Show Profile
If you are interested in rag rugs and would like to see a different method of doing a braided rug that needs no
sewing, try this site: http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1986-07-01/Grandmas-Four-Strand-Braided-Rug.aspx
I've done several of these and they look so nice, large or small - I made mine out of bed sheet strips, too.

Edited by - OregonGal on Nov 03 2007 7:59:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  9:35:54 PM  Show Profile
chris- love the rug. I'm hoping to sometime learn this art. I will more an likely start with something very small.
Debi-- what is a toothbrush rug???

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  10:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yes that is a [plaited rug when braiding one strand of braid is woven through the previous row of braid these I have seen up to 10 plaits wide that means 10 strands in your braid.

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  10:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
color changes should happen in the curve right before it goes straight on the side the one above is lovely but color changes are in the wrong spots if you want them desecrate if you want a more coat of many colors look(scrappy)(rustic look) change where ever. Also increase per row should be kept in groups of three if you increase three on one end then three on the other end as well and stagger your increases the ones shown above are not staggered evenly thus the rug doesn't have a uniform edge not elliptical but more wobbly edge or flat on the curves this is corrected with even increases in sets of 3 such as ( 0, 3, 6, 9, 12 and so on) and yes you can have 0 increases on a row if you did too many the row before they counter act each other on a row to row basses but not if you increase two much for many rows then you have a wave action.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  09:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Shawna,
If you go to www.auntphillys.com you can see and read about toothbrush rugs.
they are real easy to make.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Making Rag Rugs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page