Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Today,, I am "Nancy Jo " Jr.! I Was Thrifting!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Today,, I am "Nancy Jo " Jr.! I Was Thrifting! Next Topic  

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  1:33:32 PM  Show Profile

Girls.. I headed out this morning with Yard Sale on my mind.. BUT.. The Childrens Home behind me had their Thrift Shop open!!
(They have a teeny store just across the street from our house..)
They aren't always open when I'm home.. Soo My Husband & I stopped there 1st! I looked around.. they had quite a few neat things.. but i REALLY had sheets on the brain today.. as I am in Rag rug Mode since i was at Karin's In Georgia a Few Weeks ago With Mary Jane, Meg & Katy..
( I had gone to a couple thrift stores last weekend in search of them .. & these Goof Balls were asking $3.50 for each piece at one place.. & $7.00 At the Salvation Army!! I thought Holy Crap! I can go to Ross & buy them for $5.00, Brand new!! )

So.. ANYWAY!! The Chidren's Home had mostly Nic Nacs.. So.. I asked a Girl if they ever get any Sheets in.. she said yes.. they are out in the garage.. go take a look...
i said.. "Garage..??" Hmmmmmmmmmmm so.. i found this lovely little garage.. FULL of more stuff.. More Better Kathie Stuff!!
Sheets!! Yes.. SHEETS & More!!
GUESS HOW MUCH?
50 cents each!
ok .. I got a couple.. a couple dozen!
AND.. Linens! I found Irish Linen.. i found Napkins.. i found Lace.. AND!! i found bags of old Bias Tape & Ribbon.. AND A
Baggie full of old thread.. ON Wooden Spools!

yep.. your girl hit the Mother load..
Nancy jo Jr. Was in her Glory.. So.. Not counting me Sheets..
I spent a whole whopping $8.00!!! & Girls.. I Mean I got GOBS of linen pieces.. I was able to find a set of four Linen Napkins..
another that i found 7 of.. Then so many others that were just too cute to not get! I'm thinking.. APRON POCKETS!!!

Then.. we went down the road.. 1st yard sale.. i bought a Wicker chair for my daughters porch for $5.00 WITH the cushions..
Yep..
It was a Very good day..
& I am a REALLY Happy Camper..

I have the coolest Idea.. tell me what you think..
I have So many girls at work that I always end up buy a gift for for Christmas.. Listen.. When we were Karin's We made Balls of Cloth from Sheets.. ripping the sheets in strips.. But Karin had even had one complete Rag Rug "Kit" as a Door Prize.. So if I do two Sheets.. made into two different balls.. add a nice big crochet hook.. & stitch up a craft bag for them each .. don't you girls think this would be a fun gift? A Rag Rug Kit for them each..?
It will be alot less expensive & HOPEFULLY Easier for me then trying to actually MAKE something for all of them.. Like 10 Aprons or something!!

Anyway..Thought I had to Share My "Nancy Jo Jr." Day with everyone!
She always comes home with the best Finds!! & I felt like I was Nancy Jo Today!! Great Deals!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  2:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Kathie - you lucky girl! I have been also in a rug-raggin mood and working on my rugs like a crazed woman. It is so addicting! At our Goodwill (which I was at today and bought two sheets) the sheets are 2.99 and 4.00, which I thought was a really good price! New ones are like 150.00!!!! Anyway, I am so glad you had fun getting good deals! Go girl! I love your gift idea! Very smart!

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 27 2007 2:34:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Well "JR" I sure am proud of you! See, the stuff is out there you just have to go get it. You really did have a fun day. Now I will have to go back out soon in order to keep my standing.
I made a few rag rugs in the past, I just ripped up most any same weight material into strips, tied then together with a knot rolled them into a ball and crocheted round and round into a rug.I think there is a picture on my site archives someplace. The balls are so pretty sitting in a bowl or large crate depending on how many you roll. It was a good way to use up lots of material I got from my aunt. You better post a picture of the one you are making when you are done. I think the rag rug kits are a real good idea. Find a picture of one and copy it and put it in the gift bag too. That will be a good thing for any of your co-workers who are craft impaired.
So congrats on your good thrift day, and keep at it, its amazing what people don't want.
NANCY JO "SR."

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  3:13:38 PM  Show Profile
I had a fun garage saling day today too, although here there weren't very many of them going on.
I managed to find my son alot of little boys name brand (Tommy H.) shirts and the like for only 25 cents each!
Then I found a 1972 Norman Rockwell print for 50 cents.
A 1934 cookbook for 50 cents.
A 1969 agricultural horse training manual that they tossed in for free.
A set of 10 Encyclopedia of Collectibles books for $5
and my best find of the day..
a steel collapsible cage with slide out tray..actually it is a large kennel type cage, but it collapses down.
For $30.
It is really nice, and will be used to help house my banty hens next Spring.
I was so thrilled to find that today.
As they are going for $70 on ebay.
woohoo!
oh and I found a darling bright blue pitcher for $1 that I'll use for lemonade.
So, I had a fun day today too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  6:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow Katie you did wonderful. Now you can put NJ Jr right behing your name.
AND
Tina you had some great finds. Isn't it just so fun to go thrifting and be happy too. YeeHaw!!

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Lucky!!! I cant wait til I can fill up my house with good finds!

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  10:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Wooohhhoooiiieeee girl!!! How fun you found the sheets you have wanted and what a buy, yippiiee skippieee. I like the idea of rag rug kits, I would love one!!!!
Smart thinking girl.
Always glad when you girls have grand finds and great days. Living vicariously through you all....lol
CS

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  1:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Kahtie, I bet reading this brought tears to Nancy Jo Sr.'s eyes. What a great haul and I love the rag rug kit idea; that is a real winner! Everybody gets a high five for their cheap thrills, ha! Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  2:36:33 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic thrifting, Kathie! I love the idea of making crochet-rug-kits -- will you offer up lessons as well? And such a haul of notions and linens! You are the Thrifting Queen of the Week!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  6:11:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kathie,
I think your gifts are neat. Hope they do better than me on the rug. Mine is kind of wierd. It looks like a dog bone shape. Guess I added too many double stitches at the ends. I'll do it over after Christmas.
Congrats on your finds. Wish I was there, I'd have bought what was left over. I didn't hear you say that you will be tatting the linen napkins though. Guess you forgot to tell us that part. I'm sure you'll be doing that as soon as you have time. Right? (tee hee) Have fun with your kits. I still love my blue bag you made for us at Karin's.

Hi Tina,
You made a haul too. Makes me want to go thrifting. But I have to work next weekend so it'll have to wait. Boo Hoo.

c-ya

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  06:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Theoanne - dog bone - LOL !! I had to rip my first attempt completely out because it began to look like a sombrero! The new one just curls a little on the edge. Hm.....I think I will start a thread asking for advice on rag rugs, beyond what I heard the day we were taught at Karin's.

I saw photos of Karin's rug on her blog and it looks perfectly round - now how did she do that I ask??? :)

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile
My Rug does have a couplefunny little dips in it too..
but i'm thinking for now anyway.. THESE are the things that will make them so special.. Since THIS one..my first one..is going to be for my daughter.. She'll have most of the flaws in hers probably.. BUT it will be her Moms very first rag rug too! It has the sheet we used at Karin's..right in the center..So she'll have all of us Farm Girls in her rug too.. yes.. i think she's REALLY going to love her Rug.. Flaws & all!.. Teddy.. lets not talk about Tatting right now dear..i was really having such a good day!!!!!

I went to Joanns yesterday..loaded upon fabric again.. & i intentionaly picked some that I plan on using someof my Napkins & Tea Towels from My thrifting as the Pockets..
i'm really excited.. therse's this one that is this strange orange color..linen.. with a funny looking fish on it.. & a lady bug..alomost as if the lady bug is the eye or something.. really an odd sort of towel.. WELL!! I found the equaly odd enough fabric to match this towel!
white back grown.. with this black criss cross pattern.. & these teeny little orange boxes.. i think it'll be a perfect Apron!

Two more odd little towels that said hand made in Poland..no design on them really..just a pretty linen.. with a nice red trim.. !
Can't wait to find the right matching fabric for these too!

Apron's.. Apron's..Apron's!!!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  9:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhh goodie, aprons arpons aprons....

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  04:39:31 AM  Show Profile
wow Kathie great find. I love the idea of rug kits... way too cool!!

Tina, sounds like you really had a great day too.

Love days like that...
cheryl
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Today,, I am "Nancy Jo " Jr.! I Was Thrifting! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page