Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 God sent rain...to drought stricken VA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic God sent rain...to drought stricken VA Next Topic  

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  1:11:05 PM  Show Profile
This is the first time it has rained here since the spring. I'm not sure if any of you girls have seen on the news or even if VA has been on the news, but many of the resevoirs that Virginians depend on for drinking water are drying up. Lake Chesden for example, and they were thinking there would be enough water for another week or so. Mandatory water restrictions in the cities. We have a well, and even it was acting a little flaky now and then. BUt it has finally rained and wetted everything. My neighbor is selling off quite a bit of his cattle heard for the fast that he cannot feed them. He has already gone through this winters' hay, and cannot afford to buy hay. He usually bales his own, and there wasn't any grass to bale. We're behind almost 10 inches. All the weather gets stuck on the other side of the mountains to the west, and then it rains in Richmond in the east....
Today is the first day I have had to close the windows in almost 6 months!!
We prayed for rain....and although a bit late...we got it!!!
An exciting day in Farmville, VA!
Cristine

Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are. - Roosevelt

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  1:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Cristine! I am so happy you are getting rain! I hope the water shortage for you is over now!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  1:39:15 PM  Show Profile
today's inch and a half will help, but 10 inches is a lot to ask for. I just filmed the thunder and rain because this is just amazing. lake chesdin about 2 hours away only has enough water left for about 6 months. i think it's down 13 feet? I hope this helps. We'll probably have flooding now. and all the rain is too late in the growing season, after the rain will be frost, and then all living things will be done for the second time this year
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  2:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for rain for all the too dry places out there. It is nearly November and I just had to open the windows due to how warm it is. I'm scared that we are not going to get any snow this winter and we will be in real sad shape too. Been dry all year, just recently had a few days of rain.

I'm thankful that you got a bit of rain, and heres hoping for a bunch more.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile
We are supposed to get 1-2 inches in the next 24 hours...4 inches total these few days...
I hope others get rain as beneficial as this...
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  1:18:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Virginia too and am so thankful for the rain! We've lived here 3 years, and I will admit, the first 2 years, I couldn't get over how much it rained! I hated it!!!! I'm from Southern California! LOL I didn't even realize that we hadn't had rain in so long until I got the notice from the water company about the water restrictions. So thankful now for the rain yesterday and today...it needs to pick up a little though. :)

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I did hear that on the news, Cristine. It's hard for me to grasp that a large lake is just drying up. I'm glad you're getting rain. We here in KY were 10 inches below normal until Monday. Then we got so much rain in two days that we set a record for October - about 8 inches. Of course, like you say, it's too late for this growing season. My plants are now acting like it's spring again. And the first frost is probably about 2 or 3 weeks away.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic God sent rain...to drought stricken VA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page