Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Beautiful barkcloth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Beautiful barkcloth Next Topic  

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Is anyone else hooked on this wonderful vintage fabric? I just can't get enough...each floral is prettier than the last...and eBay makes finding it SO easy...

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  11:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls! I was never into this fabric because what I always found was tropical 1950's style prints. Then my day of revelation came! I found a piece of Grandma Moses vintage barkcloth framed and now I am hooked! Can't uncover it fast enough! I remember at some point in the 60's my grandparents house was beginning to look alot like a set from an Elvis "Blue Hawaii" movie. There was tropical barkcloth drapes and chair upoholstery and it was just blinding. We always referred to that era s Gram's "Flaming Floral" period! It was so unlike her!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  11:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh my yes!!! Barkcloth is my absolute favorite vintage fabric. But many manufacturers are coming out with reproductions that look just like vintage. That makes it nice because the vintage is getting quite hard to find and can be expensive. I have a favorite seller on eBay that is doing this and coming out with her own line of fabrics. She sent me pics last week and they are gorgeous!! I've never been too crazy about the tropical prints but love those big bouquets of roses and other flowers. And Grandma Moses is great too!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  06:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Fellow Barkcloth Lovers,

Here's a link to check out:

http://www.barkclothhawaii.com/

Happy Stitching
Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  09:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Wow...I love the Grandma Moses prints too. I didn't know what you meant by barkcloth until I saw the pictures...OH That stuff!! Cute!! My grandma went through a tropical phase too...yikes! A little would go a long way. But the florals and the Grandma Moses stuff I just think is so neat!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  2:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Kay..is your favorite ebay barkcloth seller Susan aka Urban Gardens?
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:57:44 PM  Show Profile
A few years back I found some beautiful reproduction bark cloth at Hancock's Fabrics. I made several pillows and I bring them out in the summer months. I also have collected a few Hawiianna items that go well with the tropical print bark cloth pillows. It is a fun summer look.
I have found a few pieces of bark cloth at yard sales, but not too often. When I do, I treasure them.
Did anyone see the artist who framed several tropical prints and put them on a wall together in a past issue of Counry living (I think it was)? I believe some of them were her designs. You would think it would be too much or they would clash with each other...but it was quite strikingly beautiful!

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream!"
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  11:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I did see that spread in the magazine...it was great looking. Luckily I am only hooked on the shabby chic type florals..at least that narrows down the volume of the hoarding!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  10:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Diane -- Yes it is Susan aka UrbanGardens. Have your bought from her too? I've been buying from her for a couple of years now. She is just the sweetest person.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  12:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Yes Kay...if my dear hubby only knew how much of his hard earned $$$'s went to Susan @Urban Gardens he would croak...oh well, I call it an investment, because I am in the beginings of starting a home sewing business and making pillows and tote bags out of this barkcloth to sell.
Yes, she is a wonderfully nice gal to work with, and her new fabrics are beautiful.That was a great entepreneuial idea - she's a smart cookie!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  5:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Diane -- email me your ebay id so I can see what you bought!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  5:40:10 PM  Show Profile
When I was a little girl I had a brown bark cloth pillow that had what you would call an atomic print...very 1950's. I loved that pillow and slept with it well into high school. Strange attachment to a little pillow, huh?

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  08:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I saw a couple of vintage barkcloth aprons on eBay this morning, go check 'em out!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."
~Rumi

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:06:47 AM  Show Profile
I too am a lover of Barkcloth! I bought a few small pieces at a local antique store last summer. I would like to re-do a chair I got from my step mother in barkcloth.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:31:46 PM  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I purchased 6 dining rm chairs and a mahogany pedestal table at a yardsale. I use them in my breakfast room. Anyway they had bark cloth fabric covering the seats with clear plastic vinyl over them. They had to be from to 50-60 era. When I pulled the plastic off, the fabric was like brand new and beautiful. It is a modern geometric somewhat looking design and the colors are aqua deep periwinkle blue and white. Beautiful. I saved the fabric and have six 20x20 squares. I;ll use them for a project one day. By the way, I cleaned the furniture up with Old English dark oil and it is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  7:11:54 PM  Show Profile
I too luv barkcloth shirts,
I found a rather vibrant red tropical shirt at a local Thrift shop, I think I paid all of a 1.99 and it is in awesome shape. I was gonna sell it on ebay, but fell in love with it & I actually wear it. Ya can't miss me coming it's that bright!.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  7:46:49 PM  Show Profile
i have a wonderful jacket and big purse made of barkcloth .. i love the olde 'sewing bags' made from it.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  04:39:55 AM  Show Profile
I love barkcloth! I have two vintage pieces -- must find them -- one is intended to replace the fabric on one of those standing sewing bags, the other is for a big purse. Thanks for reminding me!
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  9:45:47 PM  Show Profile
I was given a bolt of fabric from a friend. It has been stored in a trunk in their parent's cabin for who knows how long. I think it's bark cloth. To me it looks like it was to be cut and made into a valance. it says"* Valansloe*Cretonne* " and in another place its says "Wave Design". Anyone got any idea what I've got? I'll try to put on a picture of it this weekend.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Beautiful barkcloth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page