Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 California Wildfires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic California Wildfires Next Topic
Page: of 3

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  11:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Farm Friends,
I'm sure you've heard on the news about the wildfires blanketing Southern California. We have FarmGirls in those areas and we also have friends and family.

Please pray for the winds to die down, stop the fire from spreading and allow the fire fighters to get the fires under control. I have a friend in Ramona, Calif. who has a goat and sheep ranch, and the entire community of Ramona (36,000) was evacuated. She has too much stock to move them all, I just hope they are safe! She doesn't have a huge operation, but it is her bread and butter (as well as her passion - she taught me to spin and weave) and I just pray everyone is safe.

Thank you for your prayers and blessings on all these folk, and all in need across the land.
FarmGirl Hugs, Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  11:24:17 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about them already, Judy, and will add your friend from Ramona to the list. Can't imagine how frightening it is for them right now, having to evacuate, and not knowing what they'll return to. Hope those animal babies aren't too scared, and will be just fine...thinking REAL GOOD thoughts!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile
How horrifying! I saw it on the news the morning, and some people being interviewed said that the fire was spreading so quickly that they barely had time to escape! One man's car stalled out, and he eventually had to drive in reverse, then his car exploded in flames. His wife and children were in another car, and got out in time, but their car was also in flames! Everone is ok, thank goodness.....but I hope everyone in that area and their pets and farm animals get through this unscathed! I'll be praying and sending positive thoughts.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile
I just posted ditto on the Weather thread:
Farm sisters, please keep our fire crews in your prayers, along w/our MJF sister, Jennifer, who lives in my old neck of the woods of Moorpark. The fires are around the hills near her home, though today it seems somewhat under containment, a good gust of wind could cause it to flare up again. With winds of 50-75 miles an hour, it's hard to fight the flames.
The past 2 years Moorpark got hit particularly hard, this year the fires have devestated the Malibu area, not all of Malibu is glitz & glam, there are old homes & small ranches out there. My SIL's old church & pre-school burnt down to the ground. how very sad.
Many of the small rual communities like Piru are being evacuated, these are small farm & horse ranches, imagine the logisitics of rescuing all those animals....Anyways, please keep the firefighters, search & rescue teams and residents & our farm sister Jenn, in your prayers.
Maryjane Lee, stay safe, covering you w/prayers for safety from the fires.

Thanx Judy, for also posting, I forgot, you have family in S.D. hope they are safe, hugz & prayers for your dear friend in Ramona too. hugz.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Oct 22 2007 11:46:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  1:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Judy
I hope that your friends are ok. We used to live in Ramona and my heart goes out to everyone down there. I know how hard that area is to get out off and a mass evac must have been awful. We still have family and friends there and I am very worried.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  2:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Just checking in with my fellow farmgurls. Grace (Katmom) was kind enough to check on me via the MJF office yesterday.

So far we are fine, just really smokey. The area we live in is actually sandwiched between the Malibu fire, on the South and the Ranch/Castaic/Canyon Country fires to the North and East. The greatest fear is that those three fires will merge (which has happened in the past) and create a mega fire spanning 2 counties and 1/2 dozen cities. Because of the fierce winds it is not uncommon for the north fires to jump the freeway and run up and over the hills to Moorpark, impacting a whole new area.

Katmom - at last report (about 1:30pm) the fire was less than an hour east of Piru, which was completely evacuated this morning.

Unfortunately, all we can do now is sit and watch and wait. There's a lot of ag land in the hills dividing the fires and Moorpark so they won't get much attention until homes or towns are threatened.

Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts, especially for the firefighters. I think they are the best in the country.

This is Fall in Southern California (Fire Season)

I'll try to post an update when I get home from work.

Thanks again for all your concern and good wishes.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  2:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Katmom - I noticed on another post you asked about Santa Rosa Valley. Fortunately, they put that one out pretty quickly. They did have to exac Lexington Hills. It ran along the ridge between Santa Rosa and Moorpark.

One down - at least.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  3:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I lived in the Topanga canyon area with my first husband in the early 80's and we had several fires there at that time. We were pretty lucky in that the worst one they were airlifting people out of and we were standing on our front lawn waiting when they got the fire under control. I am scared to death of fire and I am praying for the people and animals to be safe if at all possible.

Up here in Idaho, it has been so terribly dry this year as it has been in many places. We are very lucky to not have fires this autumn. I'm very thankful for the rain that we've had. I just hope that the winds die back and stay calm so that the poor firefighters have a chance of containing the various blazes.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  3:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Jenn,
thanx for the update....wow, they evac'd Lexington Hills?,,,,good grief I know what a nightmare it is trying to get out of there in the morning w/the Amgen commutters!
My neighbor sent me some pic's of the hills ablaze.
She had her SUV packed & ready incase she, her 2 sons & the cats needed to evac.
Fires are so unpredictable. I am amazed at how awesome our (your) fire fighters are. Thank goodness for them.
Stay safe.

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  4:17:18 PM  Show Profile
REALLY praying for you! Hope that the winds change and rain comes somehow!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  4:25:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure this will work - I'm not very techie.

But, I was checking the news and found this link (below) on AOL News. There are some awesome pictures and you can really see how rough the terrane is and why the fires are so hard to fight. You can also check ABCNEWS.com

Since we have 11 different fires going right now, the photos are from all of them. The only landmark I can point out is the ocean. That would be the Malibu fire. Moorpark is inland from the coast, about 10 miles.

http://news.aol.com/story/ar/_a/wildfires-force-at-least-250000-to-flee/20071021110509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  8:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Praying for the firefighters and all those affected in Southern California. I am still waiting to hear from my neice and baby nephew who are on the Marine base in San Diego while her husband is on the front lines in Iraq. They are so young and have enough stress with the Iraq issue that they certainly don't need to deal with this. It is so hard for her having her husband so far away and only having gotten to spend a couple monthes with his one and a half year old son.

With hugs, blessings and lots of prayers,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  9:34:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls, praying and will continue to pray for your families and friends.
Saftey to all especially those fire fighters. Keep letting us know when you get chances.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile
I will sure be keeping you all in my prayers!! I am wondering too about Sharon's house (Sleepless Reader) she lives in Julian. She in on a cross country trip with her daughter right now..but just wondered if it is near her home, too. I hope not!
You all take care. It has been a terrible fire year!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  08:47:49 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,

I think Julian is in foothills east of San Diego, but I'm not sure. I did not hear it mentioned on last night or this morning news. SD is in a bad way and have lost many houses - entire streets actually. The fire is still totally out of control.

Hopefully, Sleepless has seen the news or left contact info so people can keep her informed.

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile
We got word in the wee hours last night that our SIL & his work crew were stuck on a job site over 'tween the 118/126/5 freeways,,,he called, they are safe, just stuck. The good news is it is in a cleared 100 acre site that is being grades, no homes on it yet. Just big equipment. But it is already 80 degrees and the winds are merciless.
Please keep him & his crew in your on going prayers, as well as for all the people who now are homeless and for all the fir crews & rescue workers & the animals search & rescuers.
He(SIL) will be finished w/this contract in Feburary & then will be up here(WA) permanently. yippee!
Jenn, stay safe, I heard that the fires are headed back toward Ventura county, Simi in particular..

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  09:40:58 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, from what I can see, the Marine Base is okay, so your family should be all right. Julian also is not affected at this time. They have had their share of fires in the past. Of course, with the Santa Ana winds and heat, anything can happen. But we will continue to pray it does not. My sister and her DH are okay, watched the fires blaze to the south of them - they are in Crest, 25 miles east of San Diego and all the houses around them burned in the Cedar fire 4 years ago. I'm still concerned about my friend and her sheep/goat ranch in Ramona. I will try to call her today. She doesn't have a cell phone, so if she isn't at home, or if the lines are down, I won't know...
Continued prayers, thanks to all!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  10:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls All, i am in evac mode, as is most of North San Diego County. I really appreciate all your prayers. The air here in Vista, near oceanside, escondido and fallbrook, is thick and toxic and the sky is dark and omminous. overnight new fires started behind us and may join the fires on either side. Everyone we know is preparing to leave but we have little options about where to go. Many main freeways & roads are closed in all directions and voluntary evac areas are being told to stay off the roads so that those on mandatory evac can get to centers. Because of the fire on mt. ? (forget name) power is gone in many areas and we, with electricity, are being told to conserve power. The water reserves are all gone in Ramona and possiblity will be, that the water will go out in other areas too... we are also being told to limit cell calls to emergencys. so, here i sit in the daylight darkness waiting for? ...dunno.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  10:05:59 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! It has been a tough couple days in So. CA and so many people are affected in one way or another. We know several folks who have been evacuated from cities all over and waiting to see if their homes are still standing. Many people are staying in near by Wal-Marts for refuge. Many school teachers in our area had to stay in homes here because they are unable to go home. Lack of teachers and classrooms doubling up. The winds have done terrible damage also to homes and properties. The smoke has been awful and very unhealthy. Julian, where Sharon lives is high in the San Diego Mountains, not at the bottom of the mountain. I have her phone # and will try and call her. Yes, continue to pray for the Firefighters and those affected! The Firefighters are doing an awesome job. Some are injured.

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly"
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  10:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Karen dear, remember I am here in Murrieta, just the other side of Fallbrook. I know some highways are closed, but if there is someway you can come this way, you are more then welcome to stay in our home. Please let me know sweetie!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

"Sisters on the Fly"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile
Maryjane LEE,
I have been watching the news all day, and thinking of you all. Stay safe, I wish you didn't have to deal with this.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  11:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Maryjane Lee, you are the sweetest and i love you. if need be, i'll contact you. However, When the fires pass i will come and find you and give you a big hug for being so good. Stay safe. Love, karen
quote:
Originally posted by Maryjane Lee

Karen dear, remember I am here in Murrieta, just the other side of Fallbrook. I know some highways are closed, but if there is someway you can come this way, you are more then welcome to stay in our home. Please let me know sweetie!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

"Sisters on the Fly"

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  12:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny My parents used to live in Julian, it is east of San Diego and part of the Witch Fire. We have heard from friends there that things are ok for now. Will let you know if I hear more.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  1:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Thought and prayers for everyone in SO CAL. Please keep us updated!

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  4:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Judith Where in Ramona is your friends goat/sheep ranch? We have just heard from my husbands aunt and uncle, who live just east of Ramona, that their home is safe but all those around them are gone. They did lose our uncles bird enclosures and two of his falcons but nothing else. We have other friends in the Chula Vista area that are in hotels until further notice. This is all so sad.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  5:03:31 PM  Show Profile
I lived in the desert (near Palm Springs) for 5 years, so I know all about those Santa Ana winds.

Prayers a-goin' up!

And remember the pets too
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic California Wildfires Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page