Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Interesting, fun day yesterday
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Interesting, fun day yesterday Next Topic  

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  07:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! This may be a little lengthy, but I just wanted to share my experience yesterday. First off, I got up early and went to a local flea market that I haven't been to in many years. The weather was gorgeous, and it was fun, and bought some cast iron pieces, a pretty amber stone ring, and an old milk glass candle cover. Then, I went on a house tour and saw 10 lovely, old homes and their gardens. House tours are fun because you can be a nosy voyeur legally. You also get some great decorating ideas. Then I decided to take the long, scenic drive home to enjoy the farm scenery and ruralness (a word?). There are some beautiful, historic stone homes in that area that I salivate over, but there is one particular one, that I always make a point to drive by, because the area, not to mention the house itself,and the gardens are spectacular! I always thought that if I ever saw the owner, that I would make it a point to compliment them. Well, yesterday, I did see the owner in the backyard, and immediately pulled over, and almost literally jumped out of my car, and said, "Excuse me...maham...I hope I'm not bothering you, but I just had to compliment you on your lovely house and gardens." The woman was very nice and said, "No...you're not bothering me." then proceeded to meet me by the gate. Thinking back, I probably gushed a little too much, but I told her that her home is one of my favorites, and I periodically drive by it in different seasons just to admire her property. She said, come in, I'll show you around. There was a guest house that was the carriage house, with a thatched roof(!) that she showed first. I would love to be a guest! Then, she brought me into the main house. Part of the house is 300 years old...old stone, and very cottagey...like you would see in a fairy tale. The inside was gorgeous with a huge hearth and wooden beams, steep staircases, large light-filled kitchen and fabulous views. The decor was interesting as the owners are world travelers and had a lot of African artifacts and antiques throughout. Very cool! Anyway, (sorry if I'm rambling on) she introduced herself and gave me her card. Her husband passed away six months ago, so I expressed how sorry I was, but really didn't know what else to say. It was a short visit, and I thanked her and said how sweet it was to show me her home. The gardens are done professionally, but are very beautiful. On the way home, I was thinking how amazing people are....the owner didn't know me from squat, I was a stranger jumping out of my car and called over to her. I would have thought, who is this crazy lady? lol How nice that she brought me into her home! I think I might have lost her card, but I thought that maybe I should send her a little sympathy card or note, and thank her again for her kindness?? Maybe that's a little bit too much, then she'll really think I'm a crazy stalker! Anyway, just a thought (if I find the card). What do you think?

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  10:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Judy, what a blessed day for you! And it was exceptionally kind of the lady to show you her home. I would definitely send her a little thank you note...maybe not sympathy because you didn't know her husband, but a thank you note would be a thoughtful thing to do. People always like getting mail. I think people are happy that others recognize "pride of place" and she was very gracious to share with you. And how neat that part of the house is 300 years old! That is OLD for this country! You may have made a new friend. Thanks for sharing with us. Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  10:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Wow how exciting! I agree with Ms Blue eyes;) a thank you card would be great.

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  11:00:38 AM  Show Profile
I love that you stopped and talked to the lady who lives in the house you so long admired. I'm sure she didn't think of you as a crazy lady! Obviously she was pleased, as she did show you around the grounds and her house. I agree with JudyBlueEyes -- a thank-you note would be sweet, but not a sympathy card. Keep it focused on the reason you stopped -- and on her generosity. A lovely story.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  1:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Thank you,ladies, for your input. If I find her card (I hope I do), I'll just send a short-but-sweet handwritten thank you note. Judy

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  5:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Bonjour Judy! It sounds to me like you might have made a new, and dear, friend, so hope you find her card or drop the note off in person. I did something a little similar several years ago. A house near my neighborhood had the porch and steps abundantly decked out in pansies like I do my own. Heck, finding a fellow pansy lover is wonderful! Anyway, in autumn through winter I used to occasionally drive by their house just to gander at the pansy parade, and their side gardens. I decided to send a note, anonymously of course since we had never met. I told them how happy it made me to drive by their house and be cheered instantly by the lovely floral display. A year later I was out with a friend and we drove by their house and happened to see the wife out on the front porch, so I told my friend to stop the car. When I awkwardly introduced myself she asked if it was me who had sent the note the previous November. Her hubby was home too, so she called him outside to chat. Turns out he is a landscape gardener with his own little business. More dramatically, they had had to put down one of their dear little dogs right about the time I sent my note. They told me how much that note meant to them, and that it had sustained them during that sad time, keeping it out on their desk on display for more than a month. So my point is this, 'never postpone joy', your own or giving joy to another; we never know how much happiness we bestow, just out on a whim. Hugs to all, Nance
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  5:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that something??...how similar your experience is to mine, and they had just lost their sweet dog! I know how you feel, when something brings you such joy, that you go out of your way to see it again. I feel that when someone puts that much effort and time into their home or garden, they deserve to be acknowledged, however awkward it may be. They obviously have a lot of pride in their home, and are sharing it with everyone with its beauty. This isn't the only time...I've complimented people randomly when something really moves me. lol! Normally, I'm a shy person and keep to myself pretty much. Go figure! :) Merci, Nance!

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  6:18:43 PM  Show Profile
What a lovely story Judy. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. There is a house by me, that I walk by every day and admire the beautiful yard & home. One day the owner was in her yard & she gave me a tour around. She and her husband are now retired. They moved here from Croatia back in the late '60's. She used to design & sew wedding gowns in Chicago. After complimenting her like crazy, she proudly told me that she only went to school through the 4th grade! She designed the house & yard herself. That was 3 years ago & I always stop to chat with her & her husband when they are out in the yard. There are some really wonderful & inersting people out there!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  06:02:55 AM  Show Profile
That's so nice, Dawn! It's funny how people meet...and you're right, people are interesting!

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  07:36:04 AM  Show Profile
Those lovely stories just made my day! I think when you get a stong urge like that to stop and talk to someone,there is always a good reason for it. It just seems to bring joy to everyone doesn't it.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  3:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals, hope everybody is having a great day; it is not always easy for people to just 'bust out' and say something to a total stranger, I know that firsthand, but who knows what good could come of it. I think as I get older, I want to say kind things to people no matter what the outcome could be. None of us are getting any younger and who knows how long WE have left to do a good deed, or how long the intended recipient of our good deed has left in their hourglass. Hence my sort of motto, 'never postpone joy'. I really like the theme of the movie "Pay it Forward" and we can do this with the simplest of words or gestures. The 'Golden Rule' is golden for a good reason, it increases joy; it benefits everybody involved. Mark Twain once said "I could live on a compliment for three days" (forgive my certainly inaccurate quote but you get the message). I think we all want and need to be appreciated, and you certainly made that woman feel appreciated and heartwarmed. Who knows the depth of joy you brought to her? Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Interesting, fun day yesterday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page