Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Advice on Ovarian Cysts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Advice on Ovarian Cysts Next Topic  

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  2:34:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I would like to ask you all if any of you has ever dealt with ovarian cysts. I have been having these extreme pains in my right side off and on for a year now. They thought it was kidney stones but could never find any actual stones. Well I was in such bad pain last night I had my dad (my husband was at work--isn't that how it goes?) take me to the ER. They did a CT scan and found a cyst on one of my ovary's had burst. I am going to my regular GYN tomorrow. But I was curios if any of you have had them before and what your experience was with them. I was told you just have to "deal" with them, there is nothing you can really do for it.I really do not want to believe that. I am eager to see what my doctor says but I would really like to know what your experience is with them. I am 35, have PCOS, and never had this before.
Thanks!

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  7:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh my sweet, sweet, Michelle.....You have some to the right place to this question! I think I was about your age when I had that same problem, lots if pain and then it got really, really bad and that's when they decided that I had cysts that had burst. I never did have pain as bad as that again and I don't believe that they ever did come back bad enough to fill and burst. But one thing that I did do, I don't know if it made a difference or not but you might try it and that was to give up caffine. Do you drink a lot of coffee? I tell you, they said give up the coffee and I never had another cup! So, for me it was no coffee, no pain.

Now, with that said. I had a small amount of pain on the right side (ovary) that came and went over the years but it was never that bad again. I did have a hysterectomy this May because of endometreosis but thats a whole other problem. I can tell you though, I haven't felt this good in years! So that's a good thing! Let us know how you're doing. Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  05:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I like coffee now and then but I really do love a nice glass of iced tea..... I have cokes occasionally. Got myself off cokes 24/7 a few years ago, but I have had them a little more often lately. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ohhhhh, me loves some caffine!!! ha ha
Thank you so much, I am definitely going to give it a try. I have been keeping water cold in the fridge the past few days and trying to be a little better about it.
I go to the doc today!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  08:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hope your doctor visit goes well! I had cysts when I was in High School and they were horrible. There was one cycle where I was in so much pain it hurt to sit up and hurt to walk- and so of course it was right in the middle of pre-season for marching band! Ugh- that was not fun. Luckily after that horrible episode they seemed to not be so bad. I hope this gets better for you!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  08:41:34 AM  Show Profile
My best friend has had them since about 12...some the size of grapefruits! Yikes. She always had such pain with them, too, and if I remember correctly, had surgery early on to remove the larger ones. I was under the impression that there isn't much to do really, but there are some hormonal treatments that they do now--different pills, replacements, etc..

Your doc will know! Good luck and let us know!
J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  08:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Michelle...I'm getting ready to send you a little email with some info for you. I know what you are going through.

~Jessica in Kentucky~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  6:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ya'll,
I just got home. He couldn't feel anything abnormal and wants me to come back in two weeks to have an ultrasound and see if anything changes. He thinks he may not feel anything since it bursted. He also told me to call him if it comes back. I have had this happen maybe about 4 times in the past year. It is horrible pain, hard to describe. I have never been this bloated in my life!
Thanks for all the advice!!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile
I had them in my teens and have had them periodically through out the year. I hate them and no one ever has the answer.I was told that getting pregnant would fix them :/ but I am infertile, so I can't try the "cure" I hope that they catch a cyst in the making and that you have some better luck. I know what pain that is, and it's awful. (I'm cringing just thinking about it)

I hope that you can get relief from them
Be well

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  7:34:50 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am infertile now. But I did have two children when I was younger, wanted another badly but I could not even get pregnant on clomid. The ups and downs that went with it were horrible. I have peace about not having anymore children and am just enjoying the heck out of the two I have. My husband and I would have loved a houseful though!
I know what you are saying, they cannot seem to catch these boogers in action, this was the first time. I am going to go to the hospital here in town and get the actual CT scan from them to bring to my doctor, he said it is hard to tell what "enlarged" means. He needs to know the size. He just told me he wanted to treat me for it and him alone. I respect him.
Sometimes the pains were so bad, it would affect my voice. I would just get on the floor trying to be comfortable. In the past year I have been told it was a kidney stone, UTI, and even Irritable Bowel.... yep basically they said I needed to take a poop! Do you know how embarrassing it is to have someone tell you that? .... and all this time it was my dang ovaries!!!! I have to find humor in it or it will drive me crazy!!! But I am glad I am not crazy and the only person who has had that pain, not that I wish it on anyone, its just I don't feel alone!!!
Thanks girls
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  06:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle,
I can totally relate to what you are dealing with. A year and a half ago I had my first "bout" with ovarian cysts. They caused bloating and cramping. They did the ultrasounds (both the typical and the pelvic) and decided they were non-cancerous, so they left them alone and they shrunk. Now, in Sept., I had two new ones and major bloating. My waist has increased in the last year due to these. Once again, I had the two ultra sounds and at this point they are still "leaving them be". One thing I did this time, was to also have a CA 25 blood test, which tests to see if you have any cancer antigens in your blood. If you do, it is a sign of ovarian cancer. I have to admit, I spent a few days in terror . . . read to much on the internet I think! But it came back negative. So I would suggest having that test on a regular basis. People with ovarian cysts are at a higher risk of ovarian cancer,so having it checked every 6 monthes is important and something I will always do. They call ovarian cancer the "silent killer" because its symptoms are that of most women who are still having periods . . . bloating, cramping, pain in the back, etc. Unfortunately, it is hard to diagnose, but ultra sounds and the CA 25 test help reduce the chance of it slipping through the cracks. If I continue to have cysts, I may eventually opt for a full hysterectomy. I will not leave any ovaries if I do, as that still leaves a risk of ovarian cancer. I would rather deal with estrogen suppliments than risking cancer. Best of luck to you, honey. Just make sure to get checked often!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  06:44:58 AM  Show Profile
I actually took that test in September when I had my yearly and that came back negative and my mammogram did also..... so I am comfortable with the fact it isn't anything to horrible. He pretty much told me a hysterectomy wouldn't be my best option since my Mom had breast cancer. They think hers was from hormones she took for menopause so I have to be very careful.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle,
I can totally feel your "pain". I dealt and do deal with ovarian cysts quite regularly. Unfortunatly in a way you do just have to deal with them in somewhat of a scale. Cysts are a normal part of a woman's ycle. It helps our bodies know when to ovulate. It is actually the small less than a tsp size amount of liquid that gets on our ovaries that causes the pain.
Getting pregnant (like I did) does cause the cysts to subside for a short time as it allows you to stop ovulating which is reason for the cyst in the first place. However, pregnancy only stops it for a short time.
I remember those days of running to the ER every other month because I was convinced I had appendicitis the cysts hurt so bad. I go and every time..nope...just a cyst (They say it as though it didn't hurt) There were some days where all I could was kneel on the floor scrunched over and cry because I couldn't help it and it hurt so much.
There is hope though!!---lol Doing things like cutting out caffeine (like Cindy Lee said) is a great help. Also, taking hot showers and using a heating pad will help curb some of the pain. It is great that you are getting regularly checked by your OBGYN as they can tell if it has turned to endometriosis. I found that Anti-inflammatories such as acetiminaphen can help target the pain but usually take a good half hour to touch it. The best thing to do is relax and know that once it has popped you have a whole three weeks to be able to relax. (And relaxing will cause you muscles to ease and that will do your poor tummy tons of good!)
Well, I don't if I've just rambled on or if maybe it helped a little. I hope some. :)
I've been there and dealt with endometriosis and infertility, so my heart is with you and hoping you feel better!
HUGS!!!
Jessie

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
www.MayhemMommyMemoirs.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Advice on Ovarian Cysts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page