Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Made a cornbread crust for bakeover from scratch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Made a cornbread crust for bakeover from scratch Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  09:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to Aunt Jenny for all the tips last time I posted about this. I made a bakeover last night with the following ingredients: 1 onion, 1/2 an acorn squash, okra, canned corn (drained), canned black beans(drained), chili powder, cumin, thyme, and salt.

Topped it with the following crust:

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
2 T sugar
3 T butter
1/2 c milk

So in other words, I took the "basic crust recipe" substituted cornmeal for half of the flour, milk for the water, and added two tablespoons of sugar.

This mixture is definitely wetter than the basic crust recipe, so you can't roll it. Wet your hands, take balls of the dough and flatten them between your hands, and then place them on top of the bakeover so that they cover it. (re-wet your hands every time you take a new ball of dough).

It turned out crispy, crumbly, slightly sweet, but not dry. All in all, it was delicious.

Edited by - ivmeer on Aug 05 2005 09:47:27 AM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
sure sounds yummy!!! I love love love okra!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
I did my first bakeover last night. I had bought the fresh pasta at the grocery store - the fresh 3 cheese tortellini and I cooked it up. Then I chopped fresh tomatoes and onions and cooked them in some olive oil in the MJF small bakeover skillet and added the tortellini and then added pesto sauce (already made) and it smelled delicious. I then made up the garlic/pesto fry bread as my bakeover and topped the whole thing with that and put it in the oven for 20 minutes and flipped it over when it was done - WOW! It was SO GOOD! I could have probably eaten the whole thing, but I will definitely do it again. I can see that I could have just made up the fry bread to have along side the pasta, but the bakeover was delicious.
Robin, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

Let the beauty we love be what we do. -- Rumi--
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlsConnect
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  12:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank You... ivmeer, Robinwolf and Aunt Jenny. I can't wait to try your ideas.

--What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not been discovered--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  9:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, FarmGirlsConnect! For the record, I had intended to throw some cheese in, too, but was a bit frazzled and forgot.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  9:54:58 PM  Show Profile
I use 2 lbs. hamburger, 1 pkg. frozen mixed veggies, 1 can roasted mushroom garlic cream soup, 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese, and MJ Buttermilk bisquit bakeover, delicious!!! You can add any chopped fresh veggie to this and it is great! I added my fresh corn and YUM!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:45:43 PM  Show Profile
Now that sounds great too. My problem is that I need a bigger bakeover pan...mine is the small size and only good for two people. We have 6 in our family! So..I need to get a big one. The ones I have tried have been really really good.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  10:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Ivmeer, Thanks for the recipe I'm going to try it with Blue Corn Meal and a few green chilly peppers.
Aunt Jenny, Would your largest cast iron skillet work for your family bake overs? Thats what I use when I have MJF mixes in bulk quantity. If it's just the 2 of us I use my smallest cast Iron skillet, I rarely cook with other pans for frying or baking. I read on the other thread that you are a fellow cast Iron fan. smile-Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  6:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, I have to confess, I don't do it the way MJ suggests, but it's probably even easier. I use a bigger pan, then dump the mixture in a pie plate and top it with the crust. I don't flip it when it comes out of the oven. So I guess I make more of a bakeover pie.

Kathy, blue cornmeal sounds wonderful. That's something I'll have to try someday. I've eaten blue chips but never used blue meal.

Edited by - ivmeer on Aug 07 2005 6:47:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  9:48:22 PM  Show Profile
I will have to try to big old cast iron skillet..and it would be nice to make a big old bakover pie in my dutch oven I bet!!! I did buy the small bakover pan and use it alot for lots of things..but I hadn't thought of the big skillet for a big bakeover. I could flip it (with help..haha) onto a rimmed pan I have that is big..like a big cinnamon roll pan..the kids call it my enchilada pan. Okay..this weeek for sure!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Made a cornbread crust for bakeover from scratch Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page