Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Egg cartons... recycled? Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  6:15:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a selection of cardboard type egg cartons that I just can't seem to throw away. I purchase organic eggs from the store. I don't raise chickens, and I don't start my own seeds in the spring, so those two purposes don't work. Anyone have any other ideas to put these to good use?

I would even consider packing them up and sending them on to one of you who do raise chickens for fresh eggs!

Ideas, please!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  6:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Clare, When Alexandra was 2 or 3 we used egg cartons to create "caterpillars". We cut sections of the cartons for the body, painted them with tempra or acrylic paints in bright colors, used pipe cleaners for the legs and antenae. They also make cheap earring holders. Alex had a lot of fun creating her "bugs".

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  9:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Clare-- I noticed at one of the rehab facilities that they used them to sort craft type supplies, maybe pwnchica (Suzy) could use them at her senior center? One of my son's friends has chickens so we recycle our boxes to him and the reward is that I get a box of 18 fresh eggs atleast every other week! Not a bad trade off, for sure!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  05:26:29 AM  Show Profile
We always bring ours to the farmers market. None of the vendors who bring eggs to the market use their own cartons, so they are very happy to reuse those from other farms or even grocery chains.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  08:14:12 AM  Show Profile
I save the cardboard egg containers which come with the organic eggs I buy. They make great firestarters for the woodstove, you can fill them with bits of old candle or leave them plain.
I joined a CSA this year, and the farmer will be having eggs soon, so I may trade him the containers (don't know if it will be a problems using the old cartons because they have names on them from other farmers), for more veggies or eggs. They make good holders for sewing supplies, you can paint them with paint (I leave them plain), such as buttons or bobbins.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  11:36:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lurban

We always bring ours to the farmers market. None of the vendors who bring eggs to the market use their own cartons, so they are very happy to reuse those from other farms or even grocery chains.

I am always thrilled when someone brings cartons to market for me. One of my customers saved them all winter and brought them to me yesterday. It's a big help to me.

You can compost paper cartons. I tear my worn out cartons into small pieces and put them in the pile. If it's winter I toss them into the woodstove.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  6:23:21 PM  Show Profile
I too use my old cartons for firestarters. I take a small amount of dryer lint and put down in the hole then I melt paraffin (like the canning type or any old candles you can melt down) and pour over the top. I let it harden and then just break 1-2 of them off to start my fire with. Works real well and with the wax it helps it burn longer to get the fire started better.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  1:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Lonestargal - does it matter what's in the lint? I would wonder if there were nylon or polyester that there may be unwanted toxins in the air after burning it.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  09:16:37 AM  Show Profile
I don't know...this is bad but never really thought of that before. I just save my dryer lint (I have to dry in winter here, otherwise I would NEVER have clothes to wear ) I only by cotton clothing so would that be harmful?
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Egg cartons... recycled? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page