Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 CABIN FEVER FARMGURL GATHERING
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic CABIN FEVER FARMGURL GATHERING Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  4:37:13 PM  Show Profile
honey hunk is researching a trip to either the NORTH or SOUTH POLE for sometime this winter. (ohhhhhhhhhh .. i will surely stay here and keep toasty warm!) this is one of his (what i call) 'macho man' trips! he says: "POLE SCHMOLE .. i just want in this lifetime to visit one 'end' of the earth .. before i hit the 'rocking chair' and am sorry that i missed that adventure!"

don't have the 'dates' yet .. but soon's i find out .. i'll plan a 'gurlfren gathering' here at freedom valley farm. i think we'll plan a 'warm and toasty' time .. mostly jus' hanging out in the cabins and 'creating'! might try and conjure up some 'mini-classes' taught by several of us. only have three guest beds .. plus our KING size bed! soooo .. if there are more'n'that (and that would be fine!) some of us might end up snuggled in sleeping bags on the floor (think CAMPING!) .. but it will be INSIDE!

OF COURSE, we will take a quick trip to our sweet village of GREENSBURG .. for lunch at Lucy Tucker's and a little 'shoppin' and 'visitin'!

if you will be 'flying' in .. use the LOUISVILLE airport .. and maybe several of you could plan to meet at about the same time and rent a car together. we are about an HOUR .. SOUTH .. of the airport! (google us) .. i'll send you our addy if you e-mail me!

t'will most likely be january or february (maybe march!) .. and our weather will probably be somewhat chilly. (although we have had some pretty mild winters here .. it NEVER gets reeeeeeeeeel cold like up in new england though! i'll try to make it over a weekend .. so that if you work outside the home .. you will only need one or two days 'leave' .. i'm thinking .. arrive on a friday .. depart sunday or monday. SATURDAY being the day that those who live more locally and who can only join us during the day can participate.

e-mail me if you 'think' you might be able to join us .. and i'll start a 'list' to make sure that everyone interested keeps informed.

oh what fun we shall have! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

e-mail me: Freedom_Valley_Farm@windstream.net

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  4:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Well I just wrote this long thing here, hit some key and it flew out of here. Wonder where it went?
Sounds like fun Frannie, I can't come, but hey maybe you could come to my house! Which end of the Earth did you want to go to but didn't? I was a little confused by that statement, but then it doesn't take much to confuse me.
I will be watching my mail for my little doll pattern. Thank you so much. With the price of postage its very scary to go the the post office.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  9:06:37 PM  Show Profile
this winter ... my honey hunk husband is going to one of the POLES (either NORTH or SOUTH) on one of his 'macho man' trips! he does these every year or two .. last one was to Mt. Everest! i do NOT travel with him on these .. as i have no 'death wish' .. and while he can survive heights with NO AIR .. man-eating crocodiles .. bugs as big as automobiles .. the 'high seas' .. and such ... this jus' doesn't sound like a 'fun' vacation for me! soooooooooooooo .. when he travels on these trips (usually 4 to 6 weeks!) .. i find other 'adventures' (such as gentle 'gatherings').

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  05:09:09 AM  Show Profile
GOOD IDEA Frannie!! Being near the main floor, warmth, air and good food seem important to me. Hank sure is an adventurous guy. Had to use spell check on that word.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  05:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Let me know, Frannie, when it is--I won't miss meeting you this time!
J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  09:03:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow!! Did he make it to the top of Mt.Everest?

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  09:05:37 AM  Show Profile
Okay! I'm in!! A Winter get-away sounds perfect. :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  09:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
If Home Depot can live without me for a week, I will come.... YAY! Please give us worker bee's plenty of notice on the dates!

Thank you for the lovely invites, Frannie! You certainly are a generous spirit.Looking so forward to meeting you.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  8:09:51 PM  Show Profile
judy .. hank climbed to 24,500 .. they never intended to go to the 'top' .. that was an EXTRA $65,000 .. AND YOU DIE! I think they started out with a group of ten (and three sherpas) .. hank and two others made it that far without oxygen! their sherpa told them if they went any further .. they would not be coming down! hank said it took every bit of energy they could muster to just put one foot in front of the other at that altitude! an adventure of a lifetime! he brought back phenomenal photos .. AND .. he left our 'photo' and a love letter i had written to him before he left .. he added a love letter to me .. and put it in a special temple near where his journey ended .. forever and always beyond the end of time. isn't that romantic! when he told the story to our 'town' (he was asked to make several presentaitons) .. he actually got all choked up and tears fell down his cheek .. which, of course, got me to bawling and i ran to the front to hug him!

the week before hank's climb .. four sherpas were climbing .. an avalanche came .. three sherpas died .. the fourth one .. led them on their trek back up. it was all very emotional! but 'death on the mountain' is something the are intimately aware of. hank said when you saw and heard an avalanche .. it was the most powerful and awesome thing he has ever witnessed on this earth! and you prayed you would not be in one!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  8:12:06 PM  Show Profile
gurlz .. soon's i know some dates .. i'll surely let ya'll know! shall be grande fun!

i can teach 'dolly making' if everyone would like. anyone else have something they would like to teach too?

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  11:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I would be glad to either teach my quilt as you go process, or an altered art project...

What did you girls work on with Mary Jane there?

Do you have any photos of the whole gathering?

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Oct 16 2007 11:55:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  06:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, That is so wonderful (and romantic)! I know from reading some books and articles that many people have died when climbing Mt. Everest. Even if they made it to the top, the climb down is far more dangerous, partly because of all the energy used to ascend, then the weather changes that can happen so suddenly. Congratulations to Hank for making it that far....that must have been the greatest adventure of his life! You both lead very interesting lives. Ok...sorry...didn't mean to hijack the topic...now back to your gathering plans. :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  11:05:55 AM  Show Profile
diane .. check my blog for lots of photos and stories! i didn't take as many pictures as i had hoped to .. i wuz jus' toooo busy havin' FUN! i had about 6 different 'sewie' projects for the girls to make ... (i think i might have posted pics of those too .. you might have to check in the 'archives' on my blog for them .. i did a colonial pyn-wheel .. a cute stack of three pyn-cusions .. a round 'donut' style pin cushion .. several little 'black face' mammy and angel pin cushions .. ohhh . .and i know i'm forgittin' some! AND .. some really dear VINTAGE DOILY 'apron pocket' kits .. for the girls to sew on. katie showed 'tatting' to a bunch of the girls too! i reeeeeeeeeely wanted maryjane to jus' relax at this gathering and 'visit' .. there were almost 40 women who showed up .. soooo .. it would have been difficult to do any 'large' projects and i was hoping for each of them to have some 'time' with maryjane .. after she gave a little 'sharing of herself, family, farm, books, business' with all of us. and some of the women preferred to chitty-chat, meet and greet, and EAT while here .. rather than to do any 'crafts' at all. ANYTHING GOES wuz jus' what i hoped for!

AND .. be still my heart .. i am soooo excited that YOU will be coming to our "Cabin Fever" Winter-time Gathering. I KNOW Miz IVY will come to meet you!

xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  11:21:04 AM  Show Profile
ohhhhh judy! everest was NOT his most exciting adventure in my opinion. they did go further than was planned .. but one of the sherpas knew they were 'robust' as he had been with them for the whole month in their 'training' .. when we first met MANY MOONS ago .. he walked AFRICA ... and brought back the most amazing stories and photos! GOSH! he even thrilled our 'guides' in Africa with his tales! He walked among the wild animals (this was long before laws were passed forbidding it .. although .. there are indeed some african tribes that are still allowed to do that (even though it is not encouraged!) on our african safari last january .. in kenya .. i remember seeing two very young 'goat-hearder' masai boys .. beautifully robed .. and with 'stick spears' .. walking and playing among their small goat heard .. it was not a mile or more before we started seeing elephants and giraffe .. then cape buffalo a little further .. then .. dear goodness .. three CHEETAH! i thought these were pregnant females .. but they are MALES who have just had a BIG MEAL!

i asked our guide (with much horror on my face i must admit!) "OH MY GOSH ... what are those children doing in here .. with no protection from the wild animals!!!!" he replied that they have been here for thousands of years .. and living among the animals is natural for them .. and YES, sometimes they get eaten .. but they look at life and death differently than we americans do.

elephants were in beautiful abundance there:

we would often come across their 'paths' .. and WE were the 'caged' ones in the 'zoo' this time!

this is a photo i took in a village of a young boy who has just entered manhood through 'circumcision' (GIRLS are also circumcised at about 13 years of age .. although i was told that they do NOT count life in years as we do:

Hank walked among these animals too .. tying himself in trees at night. This, obviously is strictly forbidden now! but oh my .. the pictures he brought back with him! soooooooo . i think mt. everest was one of his 'tamer' trips.

he also went to the AMAZON and swam with crocodiles and HUGE snakes .. oh yeah! i think i'll take a snow-topped mountain anyday to those trips! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  11:32:41 AM  Show Profile
i loved the BRIGHT GREEN SANDALS this young man wore. they wear 'black' or 'dark' clothing for awhile after their circomcsion .. passing their garb on to younger boys when it is their turn .. i also have a photo of a recently circumcised young GIRL .. i'll see if i can find it and post it. you do not even want to know HOW they do it!!! i actually had to leave one of the villages and return to the van when the young warriers started drawing in the mud/dung earth and telling hank how it was done! (they did not speak english .. but their gestures were enough .. there was an interpretor with them though who spoke english). AND the FLIES .. oh my gosh .. the children .. THAT is the real reason i could stay no longer:

a young masai girl who has just been circumcised .. up until this time .. i swear .. these children dress in RAGS!

some masai warriors can jump about six feet off the ground .. with NO running start! this young man was just getting started!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile
what a trip of a lifetime .. for me! i've been to lots of countries .. but i think AFRICA left it's footprint on my heart forever!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness....Frannie....what great photos! That looks like a really great trip! To be among the wild animals (like you said, the animals were the voyeurs...you were in their territory) must have been a great thrill. How exciting! Thanks for posting the pictures!
It's so fascinating how different cultures view life. Being so close to death is just natural for them, like how we go about our daily lives of day-to-day normal activities. Again, wonderful photos! "To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Oct 17 2007 11:40:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic CABIN FEVER FARMGURL GATHERING Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page