goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  7:26:43 PM  Show Profile
I found some really neat sites, like tulipworld, that has some of the neatest looking tulips. I don't know if I'll get to plant any this fall this year but was thinking of planting some in containers so at least I could have 'something'.

If you know of some exotic looking tulips or daffodils or just bulbs of any kind, please let me know as I'm kind of a sucker for them!!

Winona

Don't sweat the small stuff...

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  10:57:12 PM  Show Profile
yep, I too luv tulips especially "Parrot Tulips".
Got the last of my bulbs in the ground this past week. I use plastic fence mesh to protect the bulbs from maradering gophers.
This is my 1st year growing them up here in WA. hope they do well.
Winnona, love your neck of the woods. my hubby & I use to vacation there for rafting & steelhead fishing on the Rouge river. Have a friend who use to live next to the Applegate river. Our fav place to go eat was at "Grandma's" located on the Applegate....I wonder if they are still there? It's been 20 years since my last visit. Have family in Medford still.
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  07:29:12 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to check out the Parrot Tulip as I don't htink I saw them anywhere.

We are at Rice Hill right now and headed home. Hubby got so tired last nite we couldn't make it. Once we're home, we are going back over the mountain towards Klamath and beyond to look for land...Hubby wants to move back but I'm not so sure. I wasn't too thrilled with it when we lived over there before cuz I love where we live now. I'd rather move to eastern OR. We decided (???) that next time we move, BOTH of us have to like the place. We'll see how that works out!! hehehe... :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  08:02:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm as big a tulip fan as the squirrels in my yard! At my first house, I had planted one fall a whole bunch of tulips and when went in the house for a drink of water. When I came out, I caught a squirrel digging up the last bulb! The little rodent had dug up & taken a bite out of each one that I had planted! I was so mad, that I chased him down the side walk shouting, "I hope you choke!"

I read in the Chicago Tribune's "Home and Garden" section last week that you should plant tulip bulbs in flower beds that don't get watered a lot in the summer. This makes the bulbs rot out. I plan to put in a lot of spring bulbs next fall, so that little tidbit will come in handy when I chose my planting site.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  09:18:34 AM  Show Profile
Of course I love tulips. I live in tulip country. The Skagit Valley grows a ton of bulbs for world wide use. The whole valley is ablaze with color March through April. So Winona if you are ever trucking up this way in spring take a look. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  11:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love tulips and this last spring I found some "Free" tulips. They were planted some long ago time along side the apartment building where no one can see them and they get hardly any sun or water. So I am going to dig them up (maybe I should to that today!!) and plant them in the front. They are very pretty and some have varigated petals. I will have to show pictures in the spring! :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  11:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Yes, love tulips, Richard brings me some once in awhile, they last nice and long and look so pretty in a vase.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CorgiPants
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jenna
Champaign IL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  1:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, I hear you about the squirrels! I gave up trying to plant bulbs because no matter what (mulch, wire screen, etc) they get eaten! Rabbits ans squirrels both, darn critters. I do love tulips though, and even more than tulips I love Irises. But so much for trying to grow any myself.

-Jenna

Get the latest information about swaps at: Swapdex.blogspot.com
And visit me and my family (including a corgi) at: corgipants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I love tulips...anyone else?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page