Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Get Away Ideas Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  10:07:50 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking. Could we share get away ideas by state? There's got to be a lot of little known, unknown, terrific places that would be great to drive to in these days of high gas prices that are nearly sure to go higher. Maybe we could start the posting with the state so it would be easier to find what we want!
I'll start:

Iowa: Living History Farms, a living museum that is totally hands on. Dedicated to preserving Iowa's agricultural roots. In Des Moines Area lhf.org is the website.

Iowa: Spook Cave, near McGregor, IA An underground tour of a great cave by boat. Camping too

Wisconsin: Little Norway, Mt. Horeb. An outdoor museum that people from Norway have told me is just like being home in a village again.

There, that's a start. We really can't afford to go on a full-fledged vacation this year, but would like to get away for a weekend this fall and see something else.
Have a great day!
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  08:56:50 AM  Show Profile
I 'll need help from my fellow Cali girls since this state takes two day to get form top to bottom. I live in Northern Cali so I'll tell ya about that.
I live about 5 hours north of San Fransciso and about 2 hour south of the Oregon border in the heart of the Redwoods. Just being in Humboldt, Medocino and Del Norte counties is vacation enough. There are so many little cute historical towns that were first the gold rush towns that later become(Redwood rush) logging towns. There are still a lot of redwoods to see and all the beauty that surrounds them. We have glacer fed rivers that run down into the beaches to open to the ocean.
My suggestion would to start in San Franscico and get on highway 1 (the Pacific Coast Highway) if you have never seen the pacific coast it will change your life, I promise. Then just drive your way up the coast to Oregon. You can also take highway 101, which is more inland. That goes through the trees and rivers and old logging towns it's a little less hieght if your afraid of driving on cliff sides looking over the ocean, this will feel a little safer. There is camping everywhere. When it's not tourist season like it is now you don't need reservations at campsites, you just show up and camp. There is always mild weather, just rains a lot in the winter. there is sooo much I couldn't describe it all to you. You could just stop by and I'll be your own personal tour guide of redwood counrty.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  11:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh it is so pretty in your area Melissa!! When oldest son first got married they lived in Ft. Bragg and we went to visit (we lived about 8 hours south of there) what a pretty place. We also checked out Mendecino one day and loved it there too..that whole area is just beautiful..lucky you to live in such a neat spot!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:45:08 PM  Show Profile
In my part of Iowa there is the Amana Colonies which are German and have excellent family style restaurants, small shops and tours of the woolen mills, where woolen fabric is made and other small factories. The Amanas
are famous for their wines, woolen material and clothing, food, and old world charm. Also Kalona is an Amish town with excellent restaurants and small stores. Anytime you will see a buggy going down the road with a family going to the store. They have a neat store that sells food stuffs in bulk.
Throughout the year there are great festivals in the small towns in Iowa.
The fall here is beautiful and there are many fall festivals.

I would also recommend Branson, MO., where we visited a few years ago in September and that was really nice. A beautiful drive and the choices for entertainment are fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  11:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting all the ideas. My husband and I are planning a trip to Iowa this fall for our 25th anniversary. The Amana colonies is top on our list and I would like to get to the Danish museum, as I am of Danish descent.
If anyone is thinking of coming to Wisconsin, I might recommend going way up to Bayfield and the apostle islands, its really beautiful and there are interesting shops and galleries. We did this a few years ago.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  06:30:30 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - thehouseminder on Aug 27 2015 2:13:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Hey Sqrl,

We're neighbors. Well, close enough, probably closer than most of us farm sisters.

My Husband and I love Mendocino. In fact that was our first trip together, I'm not sure how many times we have been there now, but the last time was at the end of May for our Anniversary.
We stayed at the Inn at Schoolhouse Creek this last time at fell in love (yes all over again) but, with the place too! We did a hike in Van Damme and found the most wonderful fern grove.

Our favorite photographer, Clinton's gallery is right in Mendocino. We have on of his photos in our living room of the Mendocino cliff and a rainbow over the ocean. Takes me back in a heart beat!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

Traveler_and_Poet
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:42:26 PM  Show Profile
In Texas there is Lost Maples Hiking and Camping Site, and then many little state parks like Goose Island and Bear creek...you can take a drive out (about an hour outside of San Antonio), take a lunch and have fun! It is also free (unless you want to camp and then sometimes they charge you a fee but it something like 5 bucks) so you can have no money fun.

Traveler_and_Poet's Blog
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  12:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I would love to hear about things in Wisconsin as we camp near Prairie du Chien. Amana has seven colonies and each has some neat shops and restaurants. They have an old world flavor and the best time to go is during the week as it is less crowded. If you have any specific questions let me know as I live about 20 miles from there. There is also Hebert Hoover's
birthplace and museum near West Branch near Iowa City. Pella is a neat Dutch town also.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  09:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey neighbor, was should get together some time. I'm not quite sure where Walnut Creek is through. But it can't be that far.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Sqrl,

We are really close to Berkeley. In fact Hwy.24 rolls right into W.C. I had never heard of Arcata before, but you mentioned places that I've been, of course Mendocino- that I love. So, I went to MSN directions and just typed in starting point W.C. Ca and ending point Arcata, CA. It says that we are about 300 miles away from each other.
That doesn't seem to far to travel to actually be able to meet a farm sister in person!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Get Away Ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page