Page: of 2

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  6:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Ladies - what about cast iron? We've been using a cast iron frying pan for a few years now, and we try to keep it well cured. Does anybody know much metal is leached from these pans or if there are negative health effects associated with cast iron? I figure the iron itself is okay, but are there other not-so-good trace metals? Hmmmm.... Cooking acidic foods (like tomato sauce) causes metals to leach - back when people used to cook in pewter pots, they thought they were getting sick from tomatoes, when it was actually the lead leaching from the pots!

Glass is my favorite - inert & safe - but I can't find a glass frying pan in my local stores.

And about the flu shots - they also generally contain thimerosol, a preservative that contains mercury. According to the CDC, "Thimerosal is a very effective preservative that has been used since the 1930s to prevent contamination in some multi-dose vials of vaccines (preservatives are not required for vaccines in single dose vials). Thimerosal contains approximately 49% ethylmercury. There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999 the Public Health Service (PHS) agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure."

Whenever corporations take "precautionary measures," you know there's some serious underlying danger there. But, "Thimerosal preservative-free influenza vaccines are available, but in limited quantities. The total amount of inactivated influenza vaccine available without thimerosal as a preservative will continue to increase as manufacturing capabilities are expanded." So, if you're going to get a flu vaccine, be sure to request thimerosol-free. The supply will not increase until the demand does.

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  6:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Lynne,
Have you seen Klean Kanteens? They're stainless steel water bottles that come in a variety of sizes (even baby sippy cups!). I bet you could find one that fits your bike. Here's the website: http://www.kleankanteen.com/

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  5:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Annab, so glad to hear of all the changes you are making. It really is amazing how much aluminum we use without realizing it. I have a large cake pan that does a double size cake, that I love for parties, but it is now going by the wayside. I hope to find a replacement that isn't aluminum.

As for the antiperspirant, I have solved this!! I researched and found the 92% coconut oil. (it has to be the 92% to work). You mix it 50/50 proportions with baking soda and just dab it on your armpits. It works great. I bought an 8 lb. bucket that will last forever for $11.00 plus another $11.00 shipping. It has hardly any odor to it (I was afraid of that strong coconut smell like the sun tan lotions, but not at all!) and works great. I am still working on getting my hubby to switch, but hopefully soon. I am mixing up little containers for everyone in the family. When you mix the oil and baking soda, warm the oil in a microwave and it will mix more even. Pour it in whatever containers you have and let it firm back up. It is about the consistency of peanut butter when done. I have some screw on 4 oz. spice jars that I use for my fresh ground spices, that I use. But old cold creme, noxema, vicks, etc. jars would work great too.

Hope this helps!

Hugs & Blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  5:23:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenbove,
Just saw your post. I have no idea about cast iron, but it would be interesting to research. I have never heard the negative things about iron like I have aluminum. Aluminum seems to leach more than other metals.

Interesting info. about the flu shot. If I ever get one (which is doubtful!) I will be sure to ask for the thimerosel free version. Thanks for the info. I love how we can help one another gleen info. via this forum!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  03:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Here is another deodorant made with coconut oil.
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/herbal-stick-deodorant.html
I haven't made it personally.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  03:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Actually, cast iron is better for you!

When you cook, the iron does leech into the food, however, it's the same iron needed for healthy blood. Pretty cool

Keep the pan well seasoned and they perform as well as teflon. You just can't leave them to soak for long because they do rust.

And, we use the coconut oil for cooking anyway. Our local health food store also sells it by the bucket. I ought to try the recipe and as a compromise, use this formulation in the winter months at work where there's lots of far smellier critters than me.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  7:05:53 PM  Show Profile
That deordorant recipe looks interesting, but right now I don't want to invest in so many essential oils (just the expense for now!) so I will stick with this since it uses only one oil. Also, I am glad to hear cast iron is good, since I think there is nothing tastier than a roast done in a well seasoned cast iron dutch oven!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  06:16:17 AM  Show Profile
As a quick side note, Mountain Rose Herbs ship in bulk and they have a HUGE selection!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  12:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. I will check out Mountain Rose Herbs!

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  8:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Annab

Actually, cast iron is better for you!

When you cook, the iron does leech into the food, however, it's the same iron needed for healthy blood.

I agree with Anna. My homeopathic doctor says the same thing. Cast iron cookware is good for you.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Aluminum and Alzheimers Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page