lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  09:47:24 AM  Show Profile
So I was wondering if anyone else besides me is infatuated with squash and pumpkins? I don't know what it is about them, but I get so excited looking at all the varieties available. They are just so much fun, I must be a total dork.

I have been looking at the seed savers exchange website and they have some really cool old ones that I want to try. My only problem is convincing hubby that i need a 5 acre garden so all my squash desires can be fulfilled...

Do any of you ladies have a particular fruit/veggie/herb addiction or am I all alone on this one?

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile
I love them too Toni. As a matter of fact, I have a large basket on my table with buttercup, small "snack jack" pumpkin, delicata and speckled "festival" acorn-type squashes. They are so pretty as a centerpiece with their rich dark orange, dark green, cream, and gold colors. Fall colors are definitely my fav.

I grew all of these, but don't imagine the seed can be saved as they were one large green carpet over most of the garden this summer and I've no doubt they've all cross-pollinated.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile
As an afterthought, if you love all the varieties, you should plant yourself a little mixed packet of small gourds next year. Now that is fun to see all the different shapes and sizes!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  2:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Nothing says "fall" more to me then squash and pumpkins. I absolutely love making soups and roasting them. They are delicious, sweet or savory. I wish I had a place to grow them here, but my yard is too shady. They do make pretty centerpieces too. The best part is you can decorate for about 3 months with them!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Diane-

You should save seeds from a couple of them to plant for a surprise next year. Maybe you'll come up with a new fantabulous hybrid squmpkin! ;-)

Dawn-

I have seen so many recipes for delicious looking squash soups, but for some reason have yet to try any...it is definately on my menu for sometime this fall, though. How do you prepare yours?

Friends,
Toni
Go to Top of Page

mrs. graham
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Marqueta
Shelley ID
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  2:09:49 PM  Show Profile
We love them, too. In fact, our family just had a "taste test" between Sweet Mamas and Butternut squash, and pumpkin (it was a tie between the squashes)! We didn't have room in the oven for the acorns we have, but I love them, too. My two-year old had a blast playing "Momma, Papa, and Baby" with zucchini all summer. They are beautiful and so go for you!

"Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife Their sober wishes never learn'd to stray."~Thomas Gray
http://members.aol.com/sweetefelicity My blog http://sweetefelicity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  07:27:55 AM  Show Profile
Toni, Here is my favorite "Winter Squash Soup" recipe. It's simple to whip up and serve with homemade croutons sprinkled on top. From Ina Garten's, "Barefoot in Paris".
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon good olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin pie (make sure you don't buy pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut in chunks
3 cups Homemade chicken stock (canned if you must)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup half and half
Creme Fraiche, grated Gruyere, croutons for serving

Heat the butter & oil in a heavy bottomed stockpot, add the onions & cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the pumpkin puree, butternut squash, chicken stock, salt & pepper. Cover & simmer over medium low heat for about 20 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender. Process the mixture through the medium blade of a food mill (or puree in food processor or blender). Return to the pot, add the half & half & heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add another teaspoon of salt. Serve hot with garnishes, if desired.

As you can see, very simple to whip up for lunch or dinner. I have several terrific squash recipes from all of Ina Garten's cookbooks. I love her recipes, they are always sure to be a hit! Have fun making a pot of squash soup!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Squash Addiction Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page