True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  08:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika-
Thanks! "First Snow Fall" started out as a paragraph, but I realized it would be better as a poem. It's a rough one at that, but good enough as a second draft. Most poetry I write doesn't go past the second draft stage, though! LOL

You are right, a propane camp stove would be great! I will certainly be looking into that!

My mom would hang blankets in front of their windows when they got married because winters in Wyoming would get so very cold. She said it really did help. We have done that up here and it helps, and it really helps if you can figure out a way to seal around the blanket, otherwise you will still get some cold air seeping in around the bottom and sides.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  08:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
While we'd love to put in heaters, we probably won't get to that this year.

Our little patch of tumbleweed is littered with at least one old (as in probably not functional) underground irrigation system and the accompanying electrical wires. The folks who did all this mixed different kind of conduit, so each line has to be found, then cut to see what's in it... and then figure out where it comes from, and where it goes to. We've had more than one geyser from a line we thought was dead.

For example, I know that in the process of digging this trench, we'll be crossing (make that going under) at least three irrigation lines and God only knows whether there is electical or not.

We just hope we don't have any stray lines we don't know about. All three of us are water witchers, but there are so many lines it's nearly impossible to tell exactly where the lines are.

So, for one more winter, we'll bust the ice off each morning. At least with the frost free hydrants we have access to water through hoses, which we disconnect and drain after each use.

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  08:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can buy small heaters that you can plug in just with an extension cord. Just a thought, but I know how much time and trouble it saves! At the horse ranch that I used to work for they also buy heated water buckets but they also have a plug in for each stall too.

Alee
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  07:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
These areas are better than 200 feet from the nearest electrical outlet. We've got an extension cord (big orange one) to the chicken coop, which is 50 feet or more from the house.

When we sheared sheep this last summer, it took nearly 200 feet of cord just to reach the shearer's equipment. The horse barn is another 300 feet or more beyond that. Our electric fence is solar powered.

When we can afford it, we'll be adding solar panels and batteries to each area so we can have "ready power" for our electric needs.

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  09:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wonder if there are solar tank heaters, hmmm. I will let you know if I see any!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Winter Preperation Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page