SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  06:48:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I was given a bunch of jalapenos and Hungarian peppers and need some ideas of how to use them. My husband and kiddos are unfortunately not really spicy fans (banana peppers are the hottest they like) so if you have any ideas of how to use them, please let me know! I don't want to waste them!

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  06:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
me too! since the drought has continued & we lost so much in the garden... i haven't been out there in a month or so... and when i ventured out last week, the pepper plants were heavy and drooping with all kinds of goodies... hungarian carrot, habeneros, chocolate habeneros, corno de toro, chiles...
i would love to know what i can do with them besides stringing them up and drying them for use in recipes...
flavored vinegar? hot pepper oil? i would even appreciate recipes... i LOVE hot stuff.. but am not sure how to use fresh peppers in recipes...
thanks!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  08:09:24 AM  Show Profile
They freeze well and then you can use them in soups and salsas later.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  08:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
should they be seeded? sliced? or just throw them in a freezer bag whole and thaw as needed?

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  10:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Okay, two ideas. For freezing, chop them up and place on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Then when they are frozen, store in freezer in plastic bags. You can seed them if you don't want the heat.
Second idea: if your family doesn't like too hot, make the pepper jelly. I recently saw a recipe where you use apple juice and the hot peppers. Other recipes use bell peppers and hot peppers. I don't have a recipe to hand (as I'm at work) but you could google pepper jelly and I am sure you would get lots of recipes. I have a bunch of peppers in my freezer now, and will use them through the winter. I also need to make some pepper jelly as I bought a bunch of jalapeno and habaneros last week.
Have fun and let us know how it goes, Sheila.
Oh, as far as using them (fresh or frozen) in recipes, you will have to use your taste, since your family doesn't like the heat, just add a small amount, let it simmer, and then taste it, until you are at the point that they will still eat it.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!

Edited by - JudyBlueEyes on Oct 04 2007 09:54:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Every year at the end of the season I go out with bin in hand and strip off anything that resembles a pepper! They get washed, dried and tossed whole into plastic bags and put in the freezer. When I need them for soups, stews, etc. I just pull out a pepper or two, and chop or grate it frozen into the recipe.
As you probably know the heat is in the seeds, so just grate around them.
Last year I stuffed some larger peppers with a Greek rice mix and froze them. They were great baked.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  6:17:14 PM  Show Profile
At season's end I'll collect every last pepper, slice seeds out, puree in the blender, mix w/ a bit of vinegar-enough to preserve, ladel into jars then can like you would w/ a water bath canner.

Eaten like a relish or mixed into whatever just remember not to sniff into the blender while pureeing and it may get a bit strong while boiling up on the stove just prior to ladeling into jars

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic hot pepper help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page