CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:33:08 AM  Show Profile
oh lordy .. remember i wrote a 'poem' about my lack of cooking skills ... WELL .. i just attempted to bake 'bread cups' .. didn't even have to MAKE the bread dough .. just hit slices of white bread with the rolling pin .. and tucked the flattened slices into tart tins .. and VOILA!

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 02 2007 10:39:03 AM

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Oops. Did you say you used white bread? You could pass it off as rye or pumpernickel if the charcoal taste isn't too strong!

Great idea, just a few less minutes in the oven nex time, huh?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:48:46 AM  Show Profile
THOSE ARE NICE FARNNIE.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Yuk. I mean Yum!!!!

Sorry, Frannie--although, I was thinking that you could also pass them off at Pumperknickel, until someone actually ate them

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  11:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Did you keep "pre-heat" on, Frannie? I've sure done that! Actually, I had to re-read your post, due to thinking you had chocolate (YUM) bread in the pictures.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  11:39:30 AM  Show Profile
you weren't kiddin' were ya..LOL..now that's one of those "prove it" moments...and well...you proved it. LOL
o.k. ..so besides simply forgetting that you have something on the stove from time to time...shoot I've done that before too....does Hank ever get unburnt meals, or has Lucy Tucker's fed ya'll more times than ya wanna tell? LOL

Oh and that reminds me of when I was a newlywed and had zip, zero. zilch in cooking skills, and we didn't have much in the way of money...
I bought a thin steak one afternoon and got out my microwave cookbook..well..I thought that we'd have a nice juicy microwaved steak dinner...ha...I followed everything on that recipe to a T I tell you...even down to the zap/nuke the steak for 1 hour. Yep...1 hour in the microwave was what that blasted book said....but...what I failed to read...was..how thick that dab blasted piece of meat was supposed to be!!! So..imagine my surprise when about 30 minutes later I walk into the kitchen to check on my "sumptious steak dinner"...and lo and behold there was only 1 teensy tiny 1 ich piece of steak left in the middle of the plate..surrounded by...yep...you guessed it..plenty of "charcoal" and some of which had become permanently burnt into the plate.
In those early days..the garbage disposal and I had a "no secrets are getting out of here now!" relationship.....LOL

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Tina, that absolutely cracked me up. I have a steak story, too!!!!!

A few months back, I thought I'd be efficient like my mom, and use foil on the broiling pan to broil our filet mignon's for dinner, less clean up for me, you know. I guess I just didn't recall WHERE she always put the foil, and instead of putting the foil just lining the pan to catch the drippings, I wrapped the top of the pan, and promptly set it under the high broil to crust the steaks.....and POOF!!!! the most awful smell came out from the oven, and smoke filled the kitchen, and when I opened the oven door, my steaks (and the pan) were aflame! I grabbed the newly purchased kitchen fire extinguisher (that I had picked up at Lowe's on a whim), and sprayed down those lovely steaks.

When my husband heard all the commotion, he came running in to help and burst out laughing. No laughter on my end, I immediately started into tears from embarrassment. We ended up ordering pizza, and never speak of the incident (ha!).

It's sort of like his "spagoetta" incident....

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  12:33:23 PM  Show Profile
LOL I have never had to use a fire extinguisher..and actually I don't think I have ever had a kitchen fire before...but I did have a case of the "talking stew"..LOL
I had made a huge pot of beef stew one day..and thought to myself..oh how nice if I made beautiful dumplings to go in the stew for extra flavor ya know...so..I start dropping these heaping tablespoons of flour mixture into this slowly simmering pot of stew....and imagine my surprise when...instead of beautiful floaty dumplings..(the liquid must always be boiling if making dumplings I later found out...ha)
I wind up with this big gloppy mess throughout my stew..and totally covering the top of it..and it starts going"pff, pfff, pfff " on the top of the stew as the air/mixture underneath starts bubbling. LOL
And yep...that entire pot of stew quickly disappeared into the disposal as it was not saveable with all that gloppy flour mess throughout.
LOL
I still chuckle once in a while about my early cooking fiascos.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  1:18:38 PM  Show Profile
well .. my friend sugarbucket (kathy) is here hand-painting mustard STARS on our BLACK porch floor .. she sat with me while i tried again .. it came out o.k. .. but dang! all it wuz .. wuz TOAST! kathy suggested pre-made pie dough or crescent rolls flattened or cookie dough for 'sweet' tart cups ... or that yummy filo dough!

and to think i got this dumb idea from MARTHA!!!

loved your steak stories .. guess we've all been there .. only .. 'burn city' is where i LIVE!

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  5:20:32 PM  Show Profile
The joke around my house is that when the smoke alarm goes off, DINNER'S READY!
At least we can laugh about it now.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My CULINARY Skills ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page