Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What do you wish you had learned?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you wish you had learned? Next Topic  

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  07:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Now that my son is in school, I am thinking about the kinds of activties I want to steer him to, and the things I want to teach him.

As an adult, I have spent many a day wishing I had learned certain things. For example, instead of all those years in drama club, I now wish I had done 4H and music. Little did I know that I would want those skills desperately later in life. Though my mom taught me to cook and needlepoint, I am having to teach myself how to sew, can, and I know nothing about gardening or plants. I can't knit or crochet, I can't tell you one plant from another, one bird from another, what compost is, and it took me days to figure out how to thread my sewing maching.

Also, I've come to realize how much I wish I was not tone deaf and musically a dunce. As a stay-at-home mom, I often wish I had learned many things and skills that I now struggle to teach myself.

So, what do you wish you had learned/done in your youth?

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  07:53:41 AM  Show Profile
Well, my daddy always said "we should never stop learning" and I believe him--I regret not studying foreign languages more--I took french, but only because I had to, and now I wish I had more languages under my belt. My mother really is very happy not challenging herself, or learning new things...I guess I'm my father's daughter!!!!

Since I found this forum, I've learned many things: canned jam and salsa (never had done that before, never wanted to), taught myself (with help from folks here)to knit, and I love it, now I can make one of a kind gifts for people that I love, and my husband and I built a raised bed for vegetable gardening, something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing a few years ago.

What I found staggering during my early twenties was that when I stopped dancing professionally (classical ballet) because of injury, I felt I had nothing to offer anyone, including myself, creatively. Now, in my thirties, I've learned that I'm a HECK of a cook, and my creativity really shines there, and in the way I decorate my home, the way I dress and the way I live my life and the things I can share with other people. All these things, I have learned about myself because of finding Mary Jane's Farm and the girls on this forum. The floodgates are open, and I now worry that there isn't enough time to GET to know all of things I'd like to learn!!!!

Don't feel bad about what you don't know, how awful would it be to know everything!!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile
My folks raised me to be able to do anything I want to do. Not that I have but I know I can if I try. Also the word CAN'T was NOT in our vocabulary. We might have said I won't but never I can't. But I have learned so much mainly about myself from this great forum. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:17:03 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had learned how to work on cars. Grew up without a dad and grandpa never worked on his car himself. My high school didn't offer it to girls. I had to fight my way in to metal shop and then deal with the boys who didn't think I belonged there. So fighting my way into auto mechanics just didn't seem worth the harrassment I got for it. Dh knows some stuff, but I'd really like to be able to do the big stuff (engine re-builds, transmissions, etc) and save us some money when those things go bad.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  11:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Cars lisa?? really? Sometimes i wish i weren't having to rely on someone else to have to do things for me when it comes to fixing things on my car.. so ican definatlt relate to THAT.. !!

BUT!
I always wished that I was more musicaly inclined!!
i wish i knew how to play the Piano.. or really.. any other instrament.. but the idea of just sitting down to a piano.. & just banging out a jazzy tune or a good Boogey Woogey!! Wow.. ! I always wanted to be able to do that!
( i think I've probably watched "Canary Row" one too many times! )

Also .. i wish i were able to speak other langueges..

My sons have a philosophy though.. about learning things.. or topics.. on the internet.. not really taking classes or courses..
but with the resouces we have access now to us..
Just being able to get in there & reading, We have the capabilities to actualy become near experts at things that prior to the internet.. We may never even had access to!

Food for thought!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  11:48:46 AM  Show Profile
Sarah,
I encourage you to join a local garden club and to take a master gardener course in your town.
Also..you can start a 4-h club for your kids and be able to order books for your own enjoyment as well /to learn from.That way you still get to learn skills right along with your kids.
And here on the Mary Jane site is a guide to teaching yourself to crochet.
Best of wishes to you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  5:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, All I heard was negative comments about yourself. That made me sad. It is wonderful that you want to steer your son toward varied interests, but, sweet Sarah, with him in school now, the world is opening up for you more too ! What ever your heart desires to learn, start one day at a time and start doing the things you want to do.I am just starting to learn some things and experience things I have put off too. It can be so exciting and self empowering to do this. You are just starting out,ENJOY!

Hugs, Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  6:56:33 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had embraced the farmgirl I am was I was younger-- gardened, really learned fiber arts (I was taught, but it didn't stick until later in my life), did 4H, etc.

I guess overall I wouldn't change my experiences though, because doing things the way I did enabled me to be the woman and the farmgirl I am today. So it all comes out even in the end. :-)

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  12:09:32 AM  Show Profile
I mostly wish that I had learned how much FUN it is to learn!!!!

I think the 'drudgery' of schooling took the joy out of learning for me.
I will help my kids see that, while school is essential and not always fun, there is an entire world of things to learn about and it is really rewarding to learn something new.

Help your boy find things that fire him up! When one of the kids show interest in something (within reason, of course) I run with it and enthusiastically help them find out as much about it as they can. I also ask them if they want to try this or that as I see the opportunity for classes, clubs, etc. I just did this the other day and my oldest said he'd like to take a sculpture class at the local art center...I hadn't thought about that (and maybe he hadn't, either) until asked him about taking general art classes.
Let him explore many interests as they come and I think at some point you'll begin to see which areas he shines in and which areas he really loves.
My rule has been, if you start it, you finish it. No quitting half-way through basetball season or anything but you don't have to do it next time if you really hated it.

I think that this is how we discover our passions...by trying out lots things. At some point we'll know what tugs at our heart and utilizes our talents.

Faith

I'd also like to echo the others who have encouraged you to learn those things you yearn for now! You can do it!
I have a very 'un-green' thumb (really...I could probably kill a silk ficus), but I am learning about plants and yearning for my own farm someday! I'm gonna read my thumb into green-ness!

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson

Edited by - faithymom on Oct 03 2007 12:17:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  12:53:28 AM  Show Profile
With so many young people living with huge debt today, I think it is important that we teach our children financial planning. And SarahJ it is impossible to hang around this forum and not learn anything new about nature, so stick around we would love to be your teachers.

Friends are the best collectables.
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  05:54:56 AM  Show Profile
Sara- I SO know how you feel. I'm pushing toward my 30's, just had baby #4, and feel like I still know nothing. I feel like all those years in school didn't do much good, wish someone would have been teaching me how to provide for a family(not the pay check way) (like how to garden,can,patch jeans, nuture my families health with herbs and oils make homemade bread....) you know all the great things that my mothers mother knew. Oh, if only all that extra time I had BEFORE children would have been spent gaining wisdom! Thats why I'm so excited to be around all these ladies and wisdom. The bible tells us to be teaching each other and I can't teach my children what I dont know. I seems hard to find women who feel like these "lost arts" are important and worth our time to learn. Now I'm just trying to figure out how and when to learn! (It's harder with a baby in your arms!)

xoxo
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  06:20:50 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, The previous posts said it well...but it's never too late to try to learn something you really have an interest in. When you have the desire, you will put in more effort to read and make mistakes and try over again (you know...trial and error). I know that may sound a little corny, but it's true. Even if it doesn't work out, at least you've tried and then you will move on to something else. You'd be surprised at the abilities you've never knew you had! This forum has opened up a few things for me, even if I don't pursue them all actively, as least I'm getting an education! Go for it!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  09:52:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm pushing 50 baby girls..
& I think I find something new that i've learned every day of my like..
We never stop learning & growing..

YOU are your only limits.. Push past your own Obstacles..
& find something new that you want to know.. & you'll learn new things everyday..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KYgurlsrbest

What I found staggering during my early twenties was that when I stopped dancing professionally (classical ballet) because of injury, I felt I had nothing to offer anyone, including myself, creatively. That is exactly what happened to me, late teens, early twenties. Dance was everything to me

Now, in my thirties, I've learned that I'm a HECK of a cook, and my creativity really shines there, and in the way I decorate my home, the way I dress and the way I live my life and the things I can share with other people. All these things, I have learned about myself because of finding Mary Jane's Farm and the girls on this forum. The floodgates are open, and I now worry that there isn't enough time to GET to know all of things I'd like to learn!!!! Yup! me too

There is always time to learn something new. Remember to look for inspiration in unexpected places. You'll learn new things, it will just happen.

I think the thing that I need to learn to most is patience

Annika
http://people.tribe.net/58d06a60-1cdd-4357-b4e3-bc523ed51ff5

Edited by - Annika on Oct 03 2007 10:04:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  07:40:34 AM  Show Profile
I agree, you're never too old to learn something, if you really try. I learned how to crochet just this year, and I'm 44. My grandmother learned how to crochet in her 70's--and I have several doilies she made before she passed away. Can you imagine starting out learning on the smallest hooks and threads, with your eyesight not near as good as a younger person? She really deserved kudos for that.

Here in Ontario, it is sad that the students aren't offered the chance to take Family Studies (used to be Home Economics) until Grade 11. However, the schools offer the wood shop courses in Grade 9. I really feel that my daughter is missing out, she's in Grade 10 now, so I am trying to teach her at home. So many of the basic sewing techniques I use are from my grade 7 and 8 sewing classes. It's too bad these programs have had to suffer from cutbacks.

Please don't look at all the things you can't do. Your local library is a fabulous place to start, and they even make DVDs now that show you how to knit or crochet, if you can't find someone to show you. Pick one thing and give it a try! (Also, don't be shy about asking the library to do an interlibrary loan if they don't own the item you need.)

Lori
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  08:46:59 AM  Show Profile
How to balance a checkbook and take care of financial stuff, how to save and invest, how to fix a shirt that lost its button(s), how to hem pants (even with that iron on stuff) :-), how to cook several different easy meals and how much cheaper it is to cook than to eat out or do fast food...

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you wish you had learned? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page