Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  12:12:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by saddlemtn

quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary

I couldn't tell who your question was meant for, Dennis, but I'll answer for MY baby, and then maybe Jenny will chime in about hers. Mine is a 1920's "Victor Junior" model made by the Glascock Stove Company in North Carolina. It actually works like a charm, but you do have to be able to connect it to a functional (meaning SAFE) chimney.

Rosemary,

Glad you found my Glascock Stove website. Sorry to report your Victor Junior was made from the late 1940s thru 1964, sold from inventory until 1967. The location of the wording & the style of the oven door handle, is one of the ways to date Victor Junior Ranges.

Some advise to anyone interested in old stoves. Always burn some leaves or straw in your stove outside, before setting up in your house. This way you can find cracks that may not be visable and seal them.

Old wood / coal Cook Stoves or Ranges are great, a lot of people still cook on them. It takes time to learn to gauge the heat for cooking in the ovens. If your looking for an old stove, my suggestions would be to watch Auctions / Flea Markets / Antique Malls and trade papers. Of course new ones are still being made, by various foundries (at high prices).

Hope everyone enjoys heating or cooking with old stoves....

Nollie
North Carolina

What a treat! Thanks for posting this! May I contact you privately to ask a few questions I have about my old stove? How would I do that?

Rosemary

ps: Actually, I found an e-mail addy for you, so I'll give it a try.

Edited by - Rosemary on Nov 08 2007 12:22:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Getting a wood cookstove UPDATE! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page