Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  9:36:28 PM  Show Profile
I am SO excited! My sis in law agreed to sell me her wood cookstove today! We will be getting it soon. It will go in the family room and the inefficient franklin stove in there now will go out to the garage for my husband to keep warm while he does winter projects and stuff. Yay!! I will post a picture of this adorable stove as soon as we get it. I put my dibs in on it when sis in law bought it about a year ago...she rotates things in and out of her house like crazy so I knew it was only a matter of time. She found a bigger better one. I like this one alot..just cute cute cute..I can't wait to bake something in it. Seems much more practical for if the power goes off than the old one, and with all electric we need that!! We can't barbque everything!! haha.
Just had to share my good news!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Oct 11 2007 10:36:00 PM

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  9:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
How wonderful for you! I've always wanted one too. I hope you'll post a picture once you get it installed.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  04:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with the new cook stove, Jenny. I know you will have a good time cooking and baking with it. I have one, but it is not hooked up yet.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  05:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Ooooh..I am jealous! I have a wood fireplace, but no installed yet. I would love a woodburning cookstove! Need pics!!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  05:47:53 AM  Show Profile
I have always wanted one of these! My SIL has one in her dad's cabin in Wisconsin. She cooks on it when we go up there to vacation in the summer. She says it takes some getting used to, but once you're familiar with "your" stove, you can cook just about anything!!

My husband thinks it's crazy, so I don't see one in my near future. Oh well, it's nice to see someone else be able to get one! Enjoy it!!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmer miller
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dennis
ST.JOSEPH MO.
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  05:25:30 AM  Show Profile
How old is the stove? i had a 1980 reproduction wood cook stove with the warming oven.This summer i found a 1904 porcelain light green wood stove.There is nothing like the real thing.Now i need to find a good home for the reproduction cook stove.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  5:20:03 PM  Show Profile
I have one for sale, but because it weighs a cast-iron TON, you'd have to come to my farmhouse to pick it up. (It breaks down into pieces, but the main body is still VERY heavy). I think it would be best if you lived someplace within reasonable driving distance of Warrenton, Virginia. If you're interested, give me a holler off-list! :-)

Here's the stove (I've since tidied 'er up)

Here's a screen cap of an owner's manual I found for it online in PDF format! (I've got the URL around here someplace, and will cheerfully share it, of course. Isn't the Internet great?)

Edited by - Rosemary on Oct 05 2007 08:57:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  6:39:30 PM  Show Profile
oh, gosh, I'd love to try one of these! I've seen two, recently, at garage sales but they've been in *very* rough shape. Yours is gorgeous Rosemary!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  10:07:11 PM  Show Profile
So pretty Rosemary!!! I will have to take a picture of mine just as soon as we move it in. I am hoping for Saturday afternoon (husband works until noon) BUT...we have a big storm blowing in. If it is snowing, there is no way I will be able to talk my hubby and bro in law into moving a heavy wood cookstove across town. I am not sure how old it is, and honestly can't remember what brand it is. I will have to go visit it tomorrow and check again. Can't wait to get it here and show you gals!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  08:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jenny, snow already? Brrrr!

I want to see your stove whenever you can post pix. I sure wish I could use mine, but none of our chimneys is safe to use anymore, and it isn't practical to try to use the stove outdoor for al fresco cooking.

Tell your hubby that heavy things slide just fine on ice. :-)

Edited by - Rosemary on Oct 05 2007 08:50:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  08:53:46 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't tell who your question was meant for, Dennis, but I'll answer for MY baby, and then maybe Jenny will chime in about hers. Mine is a 1920's "Victor Junior" model made by the Glascock Stove Company in North Carolina. It actually works like a charm, but you do have to be able to connect it to a functional (meaning SAFE) chimney.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  08:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, every time I see posts from you, I'm reminded of what a happy few years I spent in Glen Burnie (Harundale, actually) as a kid in the 1950s, before my father got transferred to Andrews AFB. I know it's all built up and everything, but some of the wild paces I haunted as a kid are still there, as wild as ever.

Where are you going to use your wood stove? Living room? Den? For heat or show?
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  09:01:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prairielandherbs

oh, gosh, I'd love to try one of these! I've seen two, recently, at garage sales but they've been in *very* rough shape. Yours is gorgeous Rosemary!

Thanks! I'm curous what they were asking for them. I spotted one very much like mine at an antiques shop in my town. When I went back to see what price they had on it, the lady told me it had sold for $635, knocked down from $700 because some parts were missing. I dunno. That seemed pretty hefty to me, but what do I know?

What I'd really like to have, for real, everyday cooking, is one of those fabulous old gas Wedgewood stoves from the 1950s, with the griddle in the middle. GE has a modern variation out today, but there's nothing like those old stoves for reliability and charm.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, every time I see posts from you, I'm reminded of what a happy few years I spent in Glen Burnie (Harundale, actually) as a kid in the 1950s, before my father got transferred to Andrews AFB. I know it's all built up and everything, but some of the wild places I haunted as a kid are still there, as wild as ever.

Where are you going to use your wood stove? Living room? Den? For heat or show?
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  3:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny,
I can't wait to see a picture, we have a woodcook stove, will be ahwile before we get to hook it up but so lookin forward to that day.
Rosemary, that my dear is an absolutely beautiful stove. Wow!!!!!
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  11:35:02 AM  Show Profile
How do you regulate the heat on the oven? My MIL has a wood stove in her cabin and we use it to heat the place and to heat water or etc. on top, but she got one of those plug in convection ovens to bake.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  12:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary, I can't believe no one has claimed your stove yet. I am still coveting it from afar (as in too far to come get it).

Aunt Jenny, good for you! I hope you enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  06:50:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm so thrilled for you, Jenny! I've always wanted to have a wood cookstove, and my mother and I have just unearthed one in our basement. My grandmother used to use it, so hopefully one day we can get it up and running again. I can't wait to hear of your woodstove cooking adventures!

- Elizabeth

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com
http://myspace.com/elizabethannbarlow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  10:35:24 PM  Show Profile
I posted some pics of my new woodstove on my blog tonight! It is put in (husband did it for me ..with lots of help..it is HEAVY) tonight while I was gone to a cubscout leader's roundtable meeting all evening. It isn't hooked up and ready to use yet...hopefully over the weekend he will get the pipe and all that set up and I can try it out. My sis in law that we bought it from has a big book I can borrow to help learn to use it..I am so excited!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  11:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Aunt Jenny! I can't wait to hear more about it!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  1:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, that stove is a beauty! It'll make your family room THE place to be this winter! Oh, the fragrances...
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  08:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, your bread turned out so well! And the woodstove is gorgeous. My Uncle Ivon had one in his kitchen that looked so much like yours.... sweet memories.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  12:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, that woodstove is wonderful! I'm so happy for you--reminds me so much of Theodocia's house (my Great Grandmother)....She used hers up until a few years before she passed.

Lucky you! I bet, aside from being toasty and warm, you're house smells scrumptious!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  9:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,
That is beautiful and your bread looks yummy. So when you said there was a book with it, does that mean it tells you more what to do.
I have a cook woodstove that one of these days we really do want to hook up,have to do some remodeling to do so. Would be interested what you learn.
Love it and Happy Dance for you!!!!!
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Just looked at your stove again - it is so wonderful. I have never used one. I have used a camp stove and a firepit, but never a wood burning stove.

How much wood do you have to keep on hand and keep putting into the stove if you cook on it a lot? Is it hard to clean out ashes? Just curious how much work it is overall...it looks so cozy and yet strong and mighty!

Your bread loooked great.

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 18 2007 08:00:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

saddlemtn
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Nollie
Ennice NC
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  7:30:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary

I couldn't tell who your question was meant for, Dennis, but I'll answer for MY baby, and then maybe Jenny will chime in about hers. Mine is a 1920's "Victor Junior" model made by the Glascock Stove Company in North Carolina. It actually works like a charm, but you do have to be able to connect it to a functional (meaning SAFE) chimney.

Rosemary,

Glad you found my Glascock Stove website. Sorry to report your Victor Junior was made from the late 1940s thru 1964, sold from inventory until 1967. The location of the wording & the style of the oven door handle, is one of the ways to date Victor Junior Ranges.

Some advise to anyone interested in old stoves. Always burn some leaves or straw in your stove outside, before setting up in your house. This way you can find cracks that may not be visable and seal them.

Old wood / coal Cook Stoves or Ranges are great, a lot of people still cook on them. It takes time to learn to gauge the heat for cooking in the ovens. If your looking for an old stove, my suggestions would be to watch Auctions / Flea Markets / Antique Malls and trade papers. Of course new ones are still being made, by various foundries (at high prices).

Hope everyone enjoys heating or cooking with old stoves....

Nollie
North Carolina

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Getting a wood cookstove UPDATE! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page