Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **News from MaryJanesFarm
 FARMGIRL SISTERHOOD/VIRTUAL CHAPTERS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic FARMGIRL SISTERHOOD/VIRTUAL CHAPTERS Next Topic
Page: of 3

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  7:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Here's what we've come up with so far:

Somewhere here on the main forum, there will be an ongoing, ever-changing list of FARMGIRL SISTERHOOD members. No addresses or anything, just our names and our numbers according to when we sign up. (i.e. For Idaho, I’m Organic Grower No. 8 according to the official state records and every year I have to renew my certification.) Ha, I’ve reserved Farmgirl No. 1 for me!!!

In honor of my mother and what I grew up hearing everyday, I’ll become Sister MaryJane, and/or member No. 1. (If you’ve read my book, you’ll know what the sister thing is all about.) We’ll pay $20 per year to be a member and receive one aproned-hen embroidered badge with some rules concerning its use elsewhere on things like dishtowels, etc. Okay to do but we want to honor her sacred status with a few rules! When a farmgirl’s membership is about to expire, we’ll get a postcard and an e-mail reminding us to renew. (Someone like me will need to buy several extra hens at a lesser charge because I have more than one denim jacket!)

Chapter starter kits will continue to go out the way they go out presently, free-of-charge. Sign-ups for those will stay the same. HOWEVER, each active chapter will soon have their own virtual "henhouse” on our website. This is where it gets more regulated. An appointed chapter leader (must also be a member of the sisterhood) will moderate their chapter’s “site” and be the only person that can update or change the chapter’s bulletin board. (It’ll even look like an old-fashioned chalkboard.) Other features will include an area for PROJECT DISCUSSIONS (like interoffice memos), BOOK DISCUSSIONS, and HOGS & QUICHES (this is for chapter "hugs & kisses," congratulations, condolences, prayers, etc.) There won't be any search function capabilities on the chapter sites. We’d still like chapter members to join in on all the many discussions on our main forum and utilize our existing topics for sharing ideas at large! And if you are a dues-paying sisterhood member, you’ll have a special emblem near your name on the main forum.

Members of a particular chapter will have a password to pitch in, post photos, instructions, tutorials, etc. on their chapter’s site. (But remember, in order to do so, chapter members will also need to be dues-paying sisterhood members in order to have access to their site for posting.) I expect we’ll start seeing a lot more virtual chapters but face-to-face chapters will get a site as well. Virtual chapters will need a theme to organize around, no numbers there. (I’m hoping someone starts a chapter for luring in those of us who fish or snag those who hunt--that kind of thing or maybe even organized around a particular charity.) Members of the public can view these sites, but only members of a chapter (who are also dues-paying sisterhood members) can post.

We’ll be in touch by routing our news through chapter leaders, just like we do now. Chapters will continue to get newsletters on a regular basis, but the leaders will have to distribute them to their chapter members. As you can imagine, this will only work if members send us strong, reliable, organized chapter leaders and everyone keeps up with their dues in order to generate the necessary fuel to fund all of this. (For extra historical inspiration, re-read the section Finding Each Other, in our No Place Like Home magazine issue.)

The badges that only SISTERHOOD MEMBERS can earn will be taken care of in an area on our main site. There will be a gallery of sorts for photos, stories, etc. (I had a couple of out-of-town girlfriend guests here this weekend that are known for their outrageous story telling. After a round of WOW! around the campfire each evening, we eventually got into some hilarious PROVE IT! banter.) Rules for earning badges will be posted along with the lists of the women who have earned them and the date they earned them. Sorry, they can’t be grandfathered in. It’ll be way too much fun for all of us to start over with a clean slate, struttin’ our stuff, hen and cackle style.

And since we farmgirls are made of the right stuff, the list of badges we can earn will be long, everything from engine overhaul to doilie construction. So please be patient while we get this up and running. It’s going to take a minute or two, because soon I’m off to earn my travel badge to GA and KY!

Sister MaryJane

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  7:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This sounds GREAT! I am so excited and can't wait!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Sep 30 2007 8:00:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  8:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
this sounds cool

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  8:13:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm all for it, but does that include chapters of one? MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  8:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, since I live around my computer when I'm not off in a whirlwind doing this project or that, I would eventually love to start a virtual chapter. I can think of several that would be fun (gardening, home and garden, mini-farming...) This is really exciting. To be at the dawning of a new way to "gather and share" for those of us who want to share what we love to do, but don't have the time, transportation or what have you to get to regular live meetings.

Kudos!
MaryJane this is all going to be so much fun

Thank you

Annika
http://people.tribe.net/58d06a60-1cdd-4357-b4e3-bc523ed51ff5
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  8:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary Beth,
You can be a member of the sisterhood, but in order to be an official chapter you'll need at least one other member in the beginning who joins you in making a commitment to grow and maintain your chapter. Maintenance of the "henhouse" sites are going to be a lot of work for us, so we want everyone to make a serious commitment.

MaryJane

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  9:08:08 PM  Show Profile
GReat plans!! I LOVE it !!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  11:38:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm excited!!! Count me in and our chapter too!

Hugs,
Kay

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  06:07:43 AM  Show Profile
What an exciting idea! I will be one of the first to join, count on that. With the size of our chapter there will be lots of posts.
Count on us!
Rose (idcityrose)

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  06:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Can someone pick me up off the floor? I just fainted with excitement. :) I love this idea!!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  07:12:24 AM  Show Profile
YAY!!! This is SO exciting. I just love the idea of "henhouses" for the Chapters. I absolutely CANNOT wait!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  07:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Well now, both Bev and Libbie have called them HENHOUSES. What were we thinking...farmhouses. Henhouses it is! Although I have to tell you, the conversion can be real. One time when my kids were little and I was a single mom, the door to our farmhouse blew open while we were away. We came home to a full-scale hen PARTY. Think poop down our curtains, on our counter tops, feathers everywhere--three dozen chickens snooping and pooping throughout the house. But the funniest part was when we walked in, they got really quiet and just walked out, almost single file. I know, PROVE IT! Meggie, can you help me out here?

My fantasy is this: our first annual SISTERHOOD gathering (for members only) will be held in Idaho City... I show up in my teal colored 1956 two-ton "pick-up" truck pulling an Airstream (already adorning the front cover of my next book).

Oh, and once when hubby and I went on an extended camping trip to Canada, we met a farmer who had thrown open the door of a rundown single-wide manufactured home for housing his flock. Hens and trailers go nicely together. Instant coop.

Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  07:51:17 AM  Show Profile
I, too, am so excited. Gotta tell ya that I taught sunday school for a dozen years in a reformed hen house. So, I guess the kidlets were my chicks. Cluck-cluck!

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  08:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is a FANTASTIC idea MaryJane! Oh I can't wait to pay my dues!!!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  08:59:24 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, the hen story is still got me laughing, poor girl, I've had hens loose in the house and I know how fun that is to clean up, but it's still one of the funniest images. All of those hens walking out with out so much as a "peep" LOL!

I love the Henhouse idea, I'm partial to the little feathered creatures. They all have such a personality.
On another thought, I think because I cannot have any of my own, I would love it if some one were to come up with a children of the world charity theme to work around.

=)
Annika

Annika
http://people.tribe.net/58d06a60-1cdd-4357-b4e3-bc523ed51ff5
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  5:19:31 PM  Show Profile
I am thrilled too!!! Yeah, can't wait to be a "dues payin member"!!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 14, Katie 9, Wil 6.5, Benjamin 4 and Andrew 18 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/ Family blog
http://eclecticcharm.blogspot.com/ crafty blog
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  9:26:30 PM  Show Profile
this sounds like fun! maryjane ..

remind me to tell you of 'the story' of when we lived in colorado .. and our MEAN old rooster chased me into our tiny hen-house .. and kept me captive for several hours .. with the girls (about 5 and 10 years old at the time) ... outside the chicken yard 'wailing' for their momma's safety! i ALWAYS collected eggs with a basket in one hand and a BROOM in the other .. to knock the rooster across the yard when he came at me. never stopped him from pickin' himself up .. clawin' the ground and coming for ROUND TWO though! This fateful day .. i dropped my broom and had no weapon!

ha! not long after that .. we found the rooster laying dead in the chicken yard .. hank said a 'hawk' musta' gotten him .. AND WE BELIEVED IT .. until about six months later .. when he confessed to 'rooster-cide'! Said that 'bad boy' came after HIM one too many times! (so much for 'fertilized' eggs!)

i hope to be hearing more about the 'sisterhood' soon. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  06:24:28 AM  Show Profile
me too!
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:01:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey all in the HenHouse, I don't play online games but if you do, then you need to know about "Chicktionary" that i found on msn live

http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_wlhmadmodule330X125_oct

The game description is "Ready to cluck about all the words you know? Chicktionary matches you against seven alphabet loving hens. Choose from a roost full of letters and peck out as many words as possible. The more you spell, the more words fill up the Chicktionary's egg rack. Hatch out enough words and you'll move on to the next round". That is so cute it makes me almost want to play! If any of you play, tell me how you many eggs you collect...

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  02:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Maryjane,
How great is this. It will really help to be able to have a henhouse to post bulltetins about our chapters. Sisterhood is vital and what a wonderful way to have it. Thank you.
I love LOVE the chicken stories.....LOLOLOL it made my night. Thanks!!!!!
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  03:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow! just think it wasn't long ago we were all just chatting on the apron sew along thread and look what has happened. all these ideas have come in such a short time. What wonderful creativity!
I'm not sure I understand it all but I'm sure I'll catch on as we go.

Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  06:56:32 AM  Show Profile
So if I get this right - these can be virtual chapters, along with "face to face" chapters correct. Since my chapter has a hard time getting our "so called" act together to meet - I could actually turn our chapter into a virtual one? That might work better for us. Is this correct - or I could join a virtual chapter, right? It's still early here and the coffee hasn't sunk in yet - am I correct or way off base?

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  07:04:20 AM  Show Profile
Morning Anne,
Wish you were here for a cup of coffee! Yes, you can turn your existing chapter into a virtual one. There won't be a distinction really. Every chapter can have a henhouse here. Whether or not they meet up in person is up to them. Make sense?

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Makes sense - thanks MaryJane.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  06:43:37 AM  Show Profile
I love reading about this, but I am afraid I am still a little old-fashioned and behind the times! Our chapter does not even have a blog! But it sure will be fun to visit everyone else!

I remember my grandpa's henhouse - actually it was my aunt's and my grandma's. The eggs for sale paid the food bills for a long time on the farm. Those chickens were hilarious, and very poopy! I cannot imagine the mess you had to clean up when you got home, MaryJane! I do remember the chickens getting quiet when my Aunt Avis walked in to gather eggs. When I went with her, they would walk around my feet, and peck a little, as if to say "Who is she?"

Looking forward to visitng virtual chapters!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  10:23:37 AM  Show Profile
This is going to be so much fun! Our chapter has had a hard time meeting lately as some of the gals had to go to wrok...Can you imagine such a thing?!!!
So this may be a way for us to fellowship, I do miss the girsl so much when we are not gathering.
As for me I spend so much time on this computer, mostly doing genealogy research, being a virtual chapter leader would be a piece of cake. Some of you gals know I am working to become a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.), it has been a long haul for me. Some people walk right into it as their mothers or grandmothers before them either kept good records of family history or they were just able to prove their lineage easily. Not so for me. Thus hours on end of research. But I am ready to submit my final papers and so happy to be at the end of this road.
So count me in when things get going, I would love to do this.
I have a wonderful photo of my great grandmother sitting by an old fence hand feeding her chickens, is there a way to use photos like this on our website, patch, or ???

Pamela
Kindred Spirits Chapter

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic FARMGIRL SISTERHOOD/VIRTUAL CHAPTERS Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page