Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 A unique wall border using vintage hankies!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic A unique wall border using vintage hankies! Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  07:42:25 AM  Show Profile
While I was away I took my stack of magazine/idea books and came across a neat idea. Someone had a collection of vintage handerchiefs and had them on point so they formed a square but had triangle spaces of wall between that they displayed around the top of a room with very high ceilings. It made a very attractive large border. When I got home I got to thinking if I color xeroxed my handkerchiefs and cut them in half on the diagonal I could fit 2 hankies per copy but get 4 pieces per page. I used this idea in our bathroom and attached the hanky triangles w/ wallpaper paste and finished the top with a piece of crown molding. It is a small bathroom that we have recently put beadboard 2/3 of the way up with a shaker peg rack and shelf , painted white. The top third is painted a pale buttery yellow. This was the crowning touch and it really turned out well. Now I have to figure out the floor! When will the renovating ever end...probably not til that armored truck makes a delivery meant for me!

with a happy heart

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  08:05:32 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, this sounds really cleaver and pretty! What size did your pieces end up being when you put them on the wall?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 02 2005 08:06:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  08:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh! I forgot to say I enlarged mostly 6" x 6" to 50% so that way there is a six " drop for the point! The width doesn't really matter because it varies but the fudge factor worked well with overlapping.
It looks like they are hanging over a shelf sort of. You could just do them at regular size and put them up whole if you have tall ceings, I do not.

I just had a thought... this could be really cute with vintage doiles too!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Laura K
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Laura
Portland Oregon
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:18:14 AM  Show Profile
That sounds to cool...I've really loved vintage hankies since I was a little kid and my grandmother would let me use hers. I collect them now and use them routinely. Sadly, I let my 8 month old chew on one (she's teething) and she ripped it big-time...oh well...
I have seen some beautiful picture frames made from vintage hankies...but I like your idea.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic A unique wall border using vintage hankies! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page